U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 PM

477 posts, read 399,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
You could also think of a 4 wheel bike, look at Rhodes Car, looks real stable and I think they offer a 7 speed derailleur.
They are not street legal here, nor in many other areas. Only 2 and 3 wheeled human powered vehicles are allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Worksman has a variety of tricycles that are suitable for a host of uses. With the exceptions of the electrics and vendor trikes the prices seem vey reasonable given the high quality. The website is fascinating. They still make high wheel bicycles as well.

Cargo Bikes, Industrial Bicycles and Industrial Tricycles from Worksman Cycles Factory Direct Store

Here are a variety of 19th century velocipedes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocipede#
Workman cycles are heavy and not geared very well. They take some energy to run. They are, after all, built not for the enfeebled such as myself, but for healthy strong young people with the intent to move cargo. They are not optimized for riders.

As for a high-wheel - those are the things of nightmares for me. No, I mean that literally. I have nightmares about tottering around on one of those, far too far from the ground.

Seriously- I already have physical limitations that make a regular cycle no longer an option. How the heck am I supposed to get up on one of those, keep it from falling over, and then get off it again without breaking my or someone else's neck???

Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 PM

9,584 posts, read 10,936,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Workman cycles are heavy and not geared very well. They take some energy to run. They are, after all, built not for the enfeebled such as myself, but for healthy strong young people with the intent to move cargo. They are not optimized for riders.

As for a high-wheel - those are the things of nightmares for me. No, I mean that literally. I have nightmares about tottering around on one of those, far too far from the ground.

Seriously- I already have physical limitations that make a regular cycle no longer an option. How the heck am I supposed to get up on one of those, keep it from falling over, and then get off it again without breaking my or someone else's neck???
I thought that you might find the information interesting. Silly me! The written word and still picture are unacceptable in modern America where children are no longer taught to write. Intellectual curiosity does not go well with the television generation.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Workman cycles are heavy and not geared very well. They take some energy to run. They are, after all, built not for the enfeebled such as myself, but for healthy strong young people with the intent to move cargo. They are not optimized for riders

We used the Workman cycles to get around 800,000 sq Ft manufacturing plants. They are quite easy to pedal and were largely used by people in the facility who were 55+ years of age. I will say that we did nit have massive tool boxes mounted on them. Rather, they were quite lightweight.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We used the Workman cycles to get around 800,000 sq Ft manufacturing plants. They are quite easy to pedal and were largely used by people in the facility who were 55+ years of age. I will say that we did nit have massive tool boxes mounted on them. Rather, they were quite lightweight.
They only come in single speed and 3 speed versions. Riding around in a flat warehouse, probably fine. Take these out on the road - hills are going to be a challenge. They are also mostly the upright design - like a Huffy. These trikes tend to be tippy. These are among the last adult trikes I would consider for riders on the roads where terrain is changeable, and traffic must be considered.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I thought that you might find the information interesting. Silly me! The written word and still picture are unacceptable in modern America where children are no longer taught to write. Intellectual curiosity does not go well with the television generation.
Given the topic of conversation - adult trikes for people who have issues of balance and strength - yes, it WAS silly of you to bring up high-wheels.

And I am hardly of the "television generation". I was in college before I ever saw a color TV, and I didn't own one myself until post-graduation. We did have a black and white when I was a kid - and what I remember watching on it was the news in the evenings. With Chet Huntley and David Brinkley.

Intellectual curiosity has little to do with it. The suggestions were simply inappropriate given the topic, especially when presented as if they were solutions to the problem of cycling for those of us who are disabled in some way that precludes the use of a standard 2 wheel bicycle.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,433,151 times
Lots of old folks here in Florida, and adult trikes are mainly seen abandoned at flea markets.

Never saw one on the street, except I have seen one on the sidewalk ridden by a homeless guy pulling a small trailer. But no hills of any size.

Maybe a Big Wheel can handle uphill gravel?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 AM

4,243 posts, read 8,091,200 times
Maybe a fat tired beach cruiser type bicycle? I would take a Pasadena on the tricycle.

Fwiw, a few of us Geezers ride Trek, et al, with hybrid tires, (not fat/not road racing skinny), all over our mountain here: very steep, some trails that are barely there, through deep woods, slippery woods floor debris, sand, gravel, etc. Never a problem, and none of us are Tour de France guys.

In FL, we do the same, though hills are absent, but all sorts of riding in jungle like palmetto hells, deep sand, etc.

No idea of the OP's 'condition', but a trike would be my last pick, and I agree that flea mkts often have a few junque level trikes, so maybe worth grabbing one at a FM and trying it out.

The couple of adult trikes I have ridden are geared for flat sidewalks, lots of pedaling, and very low speed...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement