U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:55 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Why on earth should "seniors" be given entitlements special to their class whatsoever from private businesses? I do not even particularly like the publicly supported programs currently in place.

They are a huge drain on public resources (and if you have a clue financially - are also totally unsustainable). Any society that spends its wealth on the aged as opposed to its children is doomed (JMNHO).

So one is a "senior" - BIG WHOOP! I am in my 8th year of retirement and really tired of hearing the senior whining chorus.
Amen, brother Pilgrim! In the aggregate seniors do not need any special assistance - they (we) are doing fine. And I do not mean just the perhaps unrepresentative sample of posters on this Retirement Forum. When you look at national statistics by age group, whether it is net worth, family income, or other metric, seniors as a group are really O.K.

So, some posters take that fact that some seniors are struggling and wish to create a draconian national program to benefit "seniors" in general, as if there were some problem with seniors in general. The sense of outrage is totally misplaced, and the whining is tiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,934,448 times
For one, this would have to be a federal program, like the poster mentioned the one in Scotland. And it has to get funded somehow. That would be more taxes for working people.

But, the bigger point here is, that you are not providing the complete picture of what it's like to live in the Philipines. If it was the best place on earth to retire, because of their senior discounts, we'd all be moving there.

I have several Filipino friends, and they don't want to go back, and their families all want to move here. They talk sometimes about how nice it would be to have the maids they could afford back home, but they don't miss that enough to move back.

You can't just pick one thing about a country and then say - Look how great it is over there, they have senior discounts.

And calling a capitalist society "greedy" is just silly. If you had a business, how would you feel if the federal government told you that from now on, you must give a 20% discount to all seniors, and no, you won't be subsidized for doing so. Heck, you should do so out of the goodness of your heart.

Then, who starts flooding into your business? Lots of senior citizens. Do you cringe when they are now taking up all your tables (for instance a restaurant)? Or are you happy to be losing money on those tables?

And I disagree that America treats low income seniors badly. I am one. I get SSI and a subsidized senior apartment in a safe, clean, well-maintained building. I get free decent healthcare. I get lots of free food from food banks and senior food giveaways. I even got about 6 months of free electricity through a federal program called HEAP.

I've got all I need, and it's mostly due to the US federal government, and subsidies from the State of CA, too.

So, I respectfully disagree with what you are saying, OP.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 AM

6,549 posts, read 7,970,518 times
The only way to offer all of these 'free' services is to have high taxes. You can't have it both ways. Everything in life has a cost.

Denmark for example has a tax rate of about 60%. Lots of 'free' services.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,212,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The only way to offer all of these 'free' services is to have high taxes. You can't have it both ways. Everything in life has a cost.

Denmark for example has a tax rate of about 60%. Lots of 'free' services.
But OP wants seniors exempt from taxes, even if they're still working.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,212,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Some compensation for seniors who weren't so lucky in life. We are NOT talking about handouts and entitlements although there are always some who are bitter and like to twist it to sound that way. People who have worked their entire lives but didn't get some huge inheritance or divorce settlement, didn't have good health and incurred huge medical bills, had their savings stolen by white collar criminals (lots of stories of lawyers who are now in jail--but do their victims ever get their money back?).
OP originally didn't specify that it should only be for certain seniors, though he/she did in later posts. Even then, you might have a point if he/she was only talking about needs, but he/she seems to feel seniors should be *legally entitled* to discounts on movie tickets, airline tickets, restaurant bills, and other things that are absolutely non-necessities (I'm not saying it's not great for businesses to offer discounts).

Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM

856 posts, read 589,783 times
Perhaps this country's culture is one that actually respects & values its seniors & their past contributions.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,043,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Actually a number of countries have programs like this. They usually do not include private business, but do have discounts to amusements places, zoos, public transportation, taxes, parks. As far as health or dental, most countries have all citizens covered in this department, but not all third world countries (only some)

We have some of those discounts, such as parks and property taxes, but they are state specific, not federal.

You can not force private business to offer discounts to seniors or dictate the amount if they do. Many retail establishments do, but is usually only 10% on a specific day. Thrift stores also have senior day one day a week and offer seniors 25 - 50% off on that day. Always the hottest spot in town that day. We also have "soup kitchens" set up as charity that feed not only the elderly, but anyone who comes.

And for really low income seniors, we offer rent assistance, food stamps, utility assistance, transportation sometimes free or $2.00. We actually have a lot of programs to help seniors in need. We also have "soup kitchens" set up as charity that feed not only the elderly, but anyone who comes.

AARP strength is in it's organization and voice on political matters that effect seniors. You may not think they do enough, and you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I think most would agree though that they have certainly gotten very aggressive in their goods and services they push. Some good. Some not so good.

Rental assistance does not come anywhere near meeting the staggering demand for it.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,043,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
For one, this would have to be a federal program, like the poster mentioned the one in Scotland. And it has to get funded somehow. That would be more taxes for working people.

But, the bigger point here is, that you are not providing the complete picture of what it's like to live in the Philipines. If it was the best place on earth to retire, because of their senior discounts, we'd all be moving there.

I have several Filipino friends, and they don't want to go back, and their families all want to move here. They talk sometimes about how nice it would be to have the maids they could afford back home, but they don't miss that enough to move back.

You can't just pick one thing about a country and then say - Look how great it is over there, they have senior discounts.

And calling a capitalist society "greedy" is just silly. If you had a business, how would you feel if the federal government told you that from now on, you must give a 20% discount to all seniors, and no, you won't be subsidized for doing so. Heck, you should do so out of the goodness of your heart.

Then, who starts flooding into your business? Lots of senior citizens. Do you cringe when they are now taking up all your tables (for instance a restaurant)? Or are you happy to be losing money on those tables?

And I disagree that America treats low income seniors badly. I am one. I get SSI and a subsidized senior apartment in a safe, clean, well-maintained building. I get free decent healthcare. I get lots of free food from food banks and senior food giveaways. I even got about 6 months of free electricity through a federal program called HEAP.

I've got all I need, and it's mostly due to the US federal government, and subsidies from the State of CA, too.

So, I respectfully disagree with what you are saying, OP.

I've never known anyone to live well on SSI. I rent a room in a house; we often get SSI recipients moving in and they are always broke. But it is a lot easier and better for those in subsidized housing than for those in unsubsidized housing. HEAP aggregates all incomes under one roof, so poor people who can't afford their own apartment usually get no help at all. But hey, that's brilliant government logic for you.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 AM

8,772 posts, read 7,698,666 times
I believe I've seen statistics that indicate that seniors as a group are financially in better shape than the rest of the population. They already get SS and Medicare. And people still aren't satisfied? Greedy, lazy, irresponsible $$%%@#

Old 08-09-2014, 07:20 AM

3,096 posts, read 1,719,273 times
Have not read the entire thread yet but i in my state seniors get discounts on movie tickets, as little as $4 for great first run movies, state parks, meals, trains and subway, many other things. We have a program where volunteer work will get $$s off your property tax. And yet the seniors in my community come off as child-haters, resenting young parents who move into town, money spent for schools etc. town facilities. many of these seniors are wealthy, with vacation homes, big ticket travel. I don't get that. Most of the most outspoken ones are also republicans and obama- haters.

The countries where seniors get all those discounts also have very high taxes. There is no free lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or