Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM

307 posts, read 560,286 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't AARP or any big organizations out there that claim to support the seniors ...do something to really make a difference for seniors across the U.S....not just in some States, not just...occasionally, and whenever businesses out there feel like it...but for all times? Convince politicians in Congress to come with with a one-nation senior program that's good anywhere you go within the U.S.

Let me site an example...a real one: I visited a so-called third-world country in the Far East some years ago. I was already a senior at that time. I met an old friend ...who was a District Councilor of the town where I was staying at...who happened to be in charge of the Office of Senior Citizen Affairs. He explained to me how the senior citizen program works there. They issue a picture I.D. to those who meet the age (60 over there) and other prescribed criteria. The holder of such senior I.D. is entitled to:
-Free medical and dental services in government establishments;
-Exemption from payment of individual income taxes;
-20% discount from all establishments that provide transportation services (bus, rail, ferry, air, etc), hotels (all hotels in the country), and other similar lodging establishments, restaurants (all) and recreational facilities;
-20% off admission fees charged by theaters, cinemas, concert halls, carnivals, and other similar
places of culture, leisure and amusement;
-20% discount towards the purchase of medicines (prescription & OTC) at any pharmacy in the nation.

The card doesn't have an expiration date.

Now why is it that a third world country, deemed a poor country...can provide such a great service to their senior citizens? Yet, our country, the richest in the world can't....and has to rely on handouts and kindness of private organizations...and only when they're bound to get something (big) in return? What do senior citizens get? A dollar off...here and there...and only when the establishment deems it profitable to them.
Someone explain to me this huge discrepancy in how this great and rich nation of ours treat senior citizens.

I am a member of AARP...and so far, the only thing I've ever gotten is solicitation from them to buy this insurance, subscribe to this or that. I just received my renewal notice...I am not renewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Maybe because they don't have a 100 million + seniors ? Maybe because they don't send trillions of dollars to other countries that hate them. Maybe they don't have a welfare system that supports generation after generation for life, maybe because they don't police the world with their military. Just a few reasons ?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Why in the world should anyone be legally entitled to discounts on transportation, hotels, movie tickets, medications sold by private businesses, etc.?

Would the government (aka the taxpayers) pick up the rest of the tab?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:28 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why in the world should anyone be legally entitled to discounts on transportation, hotels, movie tickets, medications sold by private businesses, etc.?

Great post, also, I wonder if the government of this "3rd world" country the OP is talking about owns all of these businesses ?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Actually a number of countries have programs like this. They usually do not include private business, but do have discounts to amusements places, zoos, public transportation, taxes, parks. As far as health or dental, most countries have all citizens covered in this department, but not all third world countries (only some)

We have some of those discounts, such as parks and property taxes, but they are state specific, not federal.

You can not force private business to offer discounts to seniors or dictate the amount if they do. Many retail establishments do, but is usually only 10% on a specific day. Thrift stores also have senior day one day a week and offer seniors 25 - 50% off on that day. Always the hottest spot in town that day. We also have "soup kitchens" set up as charity that feed not only the elderly, but anyone who comes.

And for really low income seniors, we offer rent assistance, food stamps, utility assistance, transportation sometimes free or $2.00. We actually have a lot of programs to help seniors in need. We also have "soup kitchens" set up as charity that feed not only the elderly, but anyone who comes.

AARP strength is in it's organization and voice on political matters that effect seniors. You may not think they do enough, and you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I think most would agree though that they have certainly gotten very aggressive in their goods and services they push. Some good. Some not so good.

Last edited by modhatter; 08-02-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 05:12 PM

I understand...and you're right. OK...let's just forgive those who are responsible for wasting tax payers' money.
I don't think that our government is so stretched out that something so simple as easing the difficulties of our LOW-INCOME senior citizens is such as mind-boggling endeavor. It takes greed-driven establishments and the various industries nationwide..to loosen up the reigns of greed a bit...to work together with the government to provide a reasonable program for low-income seniors some cost-cutting breaks they need. But it must be a concerted effort...not just a few...but all. How difficult is that to figure out...or put together? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. The program is not designed for ALL seniors in the U.S. Only those who meet a certain income level. I know I won't qualify...so this is not for me. It's those seniors who are struggling to just survive.

By identifying, verifying eligibility by way of a simple application questionnaire...and documentation. Like say, last year's income tax return form should easily identify who would be eligible. Those who are eligible get an ID card issued by the U.S. government....this way, the benefits are valid in any State. One-nation senior program. Why should one senior get discounts in one state...but not in another? It is the same senior...in the same nation. I don't recommend it would be possible in this country to provide such broad benefits that the third world country I mentioned provides. That would be too much! Let's just go for discounts at those establishments mentioned. That would help our deserving low-income senior citizens some. But you know what, I don't think our leaders would go for something like that. Such program is not important enough to bother with.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Great post, also, I wonder if the government of this "3rd world" country the OP is talking about owns all of these businesses ?

No they don't. It's pretty much the same set up as in the U.S. The government got with all the businesses and other service providing establishments and laid out the plan with them...and I'm sure pleaded with them...and they all agreed to do it! It may not work as well in the U.S. because our entire economy is greed-driven. I seriously doubt if you can get all the business establishments in the nation to cooperate. It works well in that 3rd world country apparently...and businesses are thriving even with the whopping 20% discount given to eligible seniors. Remember now...not all seniors are eligible. They have to meet a prescribed income level. So only those in the direst needs get the benefits. Makes sense, I think.
Unanimity among the businesses and the government in this instance is likely due to the very nature of their culture. Seniors, elders...are highly revered and respected. I felt it when I was visiting there. Children...and everyone younger than me...would address me with the appropriate honorific title they normally use to address all elders; serve me first, let me in the house or establishment first...and cater to my needs first before the others. I am sure this was a factor in getting all businesses to participate in the program. That's why I seriously doubt if this kind of program would work in the U.S. Seniors in this country...for the most part, are considered a burden..and simply committed to a senior facility/home when that time comes. Seniors have become a pariah in their own country. That is so sad.

Last edited by FCStraight; 08-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

Maybe because they worked hard all their lives just like everyone else but ran into hard luck. So they are low income. I think everyone is "entitled" (a much overused word lately) to some enjoyment in life.

It seems like a good idea and there is more of this sort of thing in other countries than in the US. I think in the UK seniors can ride the bus for free and I don't even know if they have to be low income. After a certain age they get a reduction in their tv cost, I have heard. Why not? A little bit of respect for those who have achieved old age. A little reward, something for them to look forward to, maybe something to sooth some of the inevitable aches and pains of growing older.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
No they don't. It's pretty much the same set up as in the U.S. The government got with all the businesses and other service providing establishments and laid out the plan with them...and I'm sure pleaded with them...and they all agreed to do it! It may not work as well in the U.S. because our entire economy is greed-driven. I seriously doubt if you can get all the business establishments in the nation to cooperate. It works well in that 3rd world country apparently...and businesses are thriving even with the whopping 20% discount given to eligible seniors. Remember now...not all seniors are eligible. They have to meet a prescribed income level. So only those in the direst needs get the benefits. Makes sense, I think.
Unanimity among the businesses and the government in this instance is likely due to the very nature of their culture. Seniors, elders...are highly revered and respected. I felt it when I was visiting there. Children...and everyone younger than me...would address me with the appropriate honorific title they normally use to address all elders; serve me first, let me in the house or establishment first...and cater to my needs first before the others. I am sure this was a factor in getting all businesses to participate in the program. That's why I seriously doubt if this kind of program would work in the U.S. Seniors in this country...for the most part, are considered a burden..and simply committed to a senior facility/home when that time comes. Seniors have become a pariah in their own country. That is so sad.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP...Curious as to what 3rd world country are you're about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement