U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:04 PM

5,059 posts, read 6,053,528 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 PM

22,060 posts, read 14,493,357 times
Make sure you can get access to her safe deposit box, if she has one. Laws differ, but there might be a problem after she dies. And make sure you have the key.

It might be advisable to get her CDs cashed out and into the joint account. That is what I did before my mom passed, and it saved us a bundle of problems. Once someone dies, POA goes away. So if assets are tied up, cash them out and get them into an account held jointly between your DH and his mom.

Consulting an attorney might be advisable about how to possibly avoid probate, and what steps your DH can legally take now to make everything easier after she passes.

If you are going to sell her house, is there a reason not to do it before she dies?

And I can tell you what to do first thing after she dies and the relatives are notified. Call Social Security. You do not want to recieve a SS payment for someone after she has died. And you will have to notify the bank that holds the joint account. And that is just the beginning, probably.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 PM

7,994 posts, read 5,078,983 times
I'm facing a similar situation to that of the OP, although in some regards it's simpler. I'm thus both offering musings, and am interested in the various alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I was an only child and when my Mom passed I inherited everything. House, savings, etc. I was POA. We never heard of probate. She had a will, it was current, I was the bene. This was Illinois. Didn't need any expensive attorney.
That sounds reasonable. From what I gather, designation of beneficiary ("payable on death", or POD) takes precedence over everything, and the funds will be transferred to the beneficiary upon presentation of a death certificate. This ought to bypass probate. Probate becomes ornery when there are multiple beneficiaries/descendents, when there's rental property/businesses and so forth. An owner-occupied house (not a rental) would presumably be simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
If her money or monthly income is well affording her care, and she won't run out before her death, why not close and consolidate the accounts.....
Wouldn't that immediately generate capital gains taxes? But if the accounts remain untouched through her death, wouldn't the cost-basis reset, so that when her son consolidates/liquidates the accounts, he owes no taxes?

The main issue is likely the house. In most states, real estate can not be covered by a POD designation. Since there are few or no capital gains on the eventual house-sale, it would perhaps have been better for the mother-in-law to re-deed the house solely to her son, while she remained legally competent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or