U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM

477 posts, read 399,108 times

Advertisements

My problem with these things is (#1) I don't really like the idea of age-restricted housing anyway and (#2) they ALWAYS come with high HOA's, and HOA fees can go up any time for any reason. There are a BUNCH of retirement communities in Florida that I looked into where there had been foreclosures - due to HOA fee increases. The former tenants (I call them "tenants" because they don't REALLY own their homes when the HOA can foreclose on them for fees) could afford the monthly payments on the house itself, but not the greatly increased HOA fees on top of that.

I don't know too many seniors who aren't on a fixed income. It may be a pretty GOOD fixed income, but it's still fixed. I won't buy into a HOA under any circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,347,180 times
What about Sun City West or Sun City Grand in Arizona?

Arizona active adult retirement community,Sun City West,golf communities, active senior adult retirement communities, sun city west homes, sun city west rentals, best tennis retirement communities

http://www.grandinfo.com/

Also read this article:

The Best Niche Active Retirement Communities*|*Moira McGarvey

Last edited by kharing; 08-05-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM

477 posts, read 399,108 times
Welcome To The Home Of Intelligence For Your Life With John Tesh :: Bullying Is a Growing Problem in Retirement Communities

Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 AM

17,396 posts, read 21,234,308 times
I was thinking age-restricted community for a long time, and given our rapidly aging population in this country, and given all the seniors in my townhouse community, so many that one of our clubhouses is giving way to senior activities, and a senior center 4 blocks away, and so much shopping within walking distance, I'm getting to think I'm going to stay put and let the aging of my community continue!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,603,435 times
tljlover, this is a common issue all over. We have one lovely condo community that pretty much is and always will be a nonofficial age restricted community. It is considered one of the best run condos in our city probably due to involved residents. Two blocks from almost everything needed. Weather here not what you would want but we are happy enough with it to stay with our friends and activities.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:06 AM

601 posts, read 715,507 times
Good stuff folks, thank you. We just completed a tour of communities in AZ and loved a couple of them. Now, back in the Twin Cities area, we're thinking about the reality of living in such a community. Day after day, it seems to us, you would either be in your house or at the rec center. We realize these communities have dozens of groups in which you can participate in various activities, perhaps take a tour by climbing aboard a bus, go hiking with a group but there are still just two places to go: home or the rec center. No sitting at an outdoor cafe and having coffee while people watching, no window shopping, no going to a movie (unless you get in your car and drive somewhere). True, Sun City Grand (and SC West) have more convenient shopping but they are older. We found in older communities residents tend to be older and social circles are established and may not be as welcoming as a newer community. By the way, Sun City Grand is gorgeous!

Concerning the issue of hoa's mentioned above; true, an hoa can foreclose if you don't pay, but so can the state, county or city government if you don't pay taxes. In that respect no one ever owns property in the U.S.. Even when the mortgage is paid off you still pay "rent" to the government. Also, we live in a townhouse now (no shoveling snow or mowing!) and our hoa is $215 a month. The two retirement communities we love in AZ have hoa fees at $133 and $148 a month so it's less than what we pay now.

I won't stay in Minnesota for several reasons: I've never really considered this 'home'. I came here about 10 years ago because my wife is from here. MN taxes social security. MN has a horrid climate. After living most of my life in CA I became use to communities where their are lots of people who emigrated in. They came for work, for climate, for fun. Here, people are born and raised and never leave. Very provincial. It's great for families raising kids but, we're coming to the end of that period in our lives.

We're two years from making move and lots of time to consider the everyday living of a retirement community. We loved what we saw in AZ but we're wondering if a place like Hot Springs Village in Arkansas or The Villages in Florida might not work better (but oh, the humidity and bugs!).

If you moved to an age-restricted community did you consider any of these issues? Are we creating issues where there are none really?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 AM

17,396 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Yet another one from the Midwest considering AZ for retirement. What's the statistics? 60% of those that move to AZ hail from the Midwest! When I lived in Phoenix, it was estimated, at the time, in the early 90's, 400,000 in Phoenix had roots in Chicago.

I'm still flirting with retirement in Tucson, but, but! Given my limited SSN income of 1200 a month, I'm looking at townhouses complexes in Tucson, (yes, they're there) with no HOA dues. Given I'm paying $135 a month now in HOA dues, that frees up $135 a month for extra spending money. And these complexes are grouped in the same area of town, and in lieu of a clubhouse/activities for seniors, I'll merely take the bus to a big senior center a few miles away!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
GeneR, I followed your trip to AZ on the Phoenix and Tucson board with great interest. We lived 25+ years in the Phoenix area until we moved to Raleigh, NC in 2012 - for our retirement.

We were most interested in an age restricted community, but ended up purchasing in one that was not age restricted, but about 95% of the residents are over 50. While we are not within walking distance to shops, etc. we are within a 5 minute drive of many, many restaurants and shops, movie theater, etc. We are in the center of the Triangle - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill - giving us all the advantages of living near a city, universities, museums, theater, adult oriented continuing education, etc. etc. etc. I cannot express how unexpectedly delighted we are with the area!

While the weather is not exactly what you might want, it's close (more humid on some summer days that we wanted, and we do get a bit of snow/ice in the winter). Truly four seasons, but with minimal temperature shifts that make weather unpleasant.

Two communities you might want to consider, if you are considering the area: Regency in Brier Creek Country Club (new construction, just closed on final new build last month, so you will have to find a resale) and Carolina Arbors by Del Webb (new construction, just opened last year, and are selling very, very quickly). You also might consider the other Del Webb community (Carolina Preserves in Cary - all resales now after closing out last year), but I think the Brier Creek location would be more suitable to what you are looking for. (Yes, they are cookie cutter, but I don't think you'll find what you are looking for without accepting that to a certain degree.)

PM me if you have specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement