U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM

10,022 posts, read 16,693,941 times

Advertisements

I guess Portland parents who desire an IB program are blessed to have it available in a couple of public schools. My daughter attended one of those schools, took some classes in that program but opted out of going for an IB diploma.

The busy work the early poster is referring to are the student's portfolios required for the IB diploma. Frankly I am less invested in the IB diploma per se than the education received in such a school.

If the OP chooses to enroll their child in a CR public school they will also need to do a lot of home schooling. My concern is what happens when the kids are teens and they determine that what their public school classmates think is education enough is good enough for them. It is next to impossible to undo a poor education. Consider what happens to minority children in US schools, particularly boys. Often their peers disrespect a student who does well academically and peer relationships become very important once they hit adolescence.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-08-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,079,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
We are thinking the opposite. I retired to South America 11 years ago and now have a 9 year old and baby on the way. We are contemplating the Austin area for our son's HS and University. While IB schools are good and expensive, we went the Parochial school route as the IB kids are all from privileged families and we can not afford their lifestyles.
You've indicated in previous posts that you're currently in a low cost-of-living area. If so, be prepared for sticker shock in Austin. Housing especially, whether owned or rental. Also health care and transportation.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM

787 posts, read 896,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You've indicated in previous posts that you're currently in a low cost-of-living area. If so, be prepared for sticker shock in Austin. Housing especially, whether owned or rental. Also health care and transportation.
Compared to NYC (former home) it is much cheaper, It is more expensive than Dallas & Houston and probably overall on par with Austin.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,247,952 times
Quote:
I have often wondered how the international students fare in high school if they are not really IB material. Are other viable options available for them? I don't know.
I've 10+ school-year-long exchange students.
About half were the equivalent of C students in their home country.

ALL of them were IB material - American high school was too easy for them after the first month of school (takes at least that long to get used to hearing English 24 hours a day )
We enrolled all of them in IB courses - and 90% went home with straight A's on their report cards.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 PM

13,899 posts, read 25,355,967 times
I spent most of my HS years attending university in France. It was a wonderful experience and more of an education than HS at home ever would have been. I would do it over again any time. Living in different places/cultures is an education in itself.

Maybe I gave up some things, like sports. But being a champion field hockey in HS doesn't buy much these days!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,587,340 times
Quote:
Compared to NYC (former home) it is much cheaper, It is more expensive than Dallas & Houston and probably overall on par with Austin.
Austin is currently in a very hot RE bubble..bidding wars going on for homes.
Sprawl and traffic congestion is getting worse.
Lots of talk about bond issues to deal with traffic..light rail, more buses, etc.

The COL has gone over 100 and property taxes are sky high.
Be very aware of property taxes for any home you may be considering to purchase.

This is just FYI.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM

787 posts, read 896,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Austin is currently in a very hot RE bubble..bidding wars going on for homes.
Sprawl and traffic congestion is getting worse.
Lots of talk about bond issues to deal with traffic..light rail, more buses, etc.

The COL has gone over 100 and property taxes are sky high.
Be very aware of property taxes for any home you may be considering to purchase.

This is just FYI.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. prices where I live are $232.00/sq.ft so it's generally cheaper there. I am ok with taxes up to $6,000 a year in a good school district as I currently pay $500.00 on a $320,000 apartment, but $20,000 a year for my kids parochial school.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
We are thinking the opposite. I retired to South America 11 years ago and now have a 9 year old and baby on the way. We are contemplating the Austin area for our son's HS and University. While IB schools are good and expensive, we went the Parochial school route as the IB kids are all from privileged families and we can not afford their lifestyles.
You have several yrs to plan...

Consider Bourne, TX (near Austin / SA), good schools. My place near there cost $40/sf, is view acreage, and taxes are $1700/yr. There are 2 colleges (one private, one community) and 2 hospitals (one VA) in town of 25,000.

also consider WA state, Free College instead of HS; 20+ yrs an excellent option for thousands of students (including my kids, One of my bosses is a Running Start graduate) (Hawaii has similar program)
https://www.k12.wa.us/SecondaryEduca...ningStart.aspx
Running Start - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IB kids can be from all walks of life. Often more emphasis / participation from higher earning families (STATUS?), but 'peer pressure' is what public school is all about.

Retiring any place with school aged kids is a great idea. The sooner the better!

Retire early, retire often! Enjoy the kids! Teach them to retire early!

Many families use the time together to form a business (That is not retirement,,, but... it might be YOUR retirement), kids can do most the business stuff (sometimes very well)... they are motivated!, it beats going to school. Kids are also great at employing their friends and coming up with good ideas for new products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or