U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM

802 posts, read 778,953 times

Advertisements

skittles

I love hearing about your trip and don't find it boring at all.

Thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,586,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Wishing you all the best for scouting PA and VA! I have read the majority of the replies to your initial posting about 'scouting' for your retirement years.

"If" you find that winters are a deal breaker, Would you be able to make another move to an area with warmer winters? Would you be in a position to rent for a year or two v. buying (to allow an easier relocation if needed?).

I had no clue about 'winter' having spent the majority of my life in SoCal; all I knew was what I saw on tv or in movies, or pretty pictures on calendars (or driving to the mountains in CA to play in the snow). It didn't take me long after moving to the middle of the country to learn what real "cold", snow, ice, etc., is all about, and it can last upwards of 4-5 months each season. Some suggested visiting PA or VA during the winter; however, you really have to live there through the season to achieve reality.

Hopefully you will find that you enjoy the winter season.

Again, wishing you all the best!
I can't tell you anything about Pennsulvania but I was raised in the inland valleys of socal. Summer started somewhere between half way through May and June and once it started hitting a hundred then it was summer. Riverside was very very smoggy in addition to the heat so I was delighted when I moved to get away from that. The air here in OK is nice and clear and you can see the difference between clouds and sky.

If you are used to smog and find a smog free place it will make up for a LOT. I didn't notice the wind since I lived mid santa ana wind tunnel, and the heat didn't seem much different and was tolerable.

First winter I began collecting warm things to put under my clothers. The military style thermals are really wonderful especially if your not used to it. We had my first snow, though it wasn't much, and I stood in fromt of the window delighted at seeing what snowflakes looked like.

The weather further north gets colder and I'm not sure I could take it but I've gotten where I can bundle up and have strategys to stay warm. And compared to a really hot summer day now I'd take a really cold winter one.

But the actual seasons is delightful and I wouldn't trade Socal uniseasons for it now. And its delightful when it warms up to wear less than three layers and adjust the cooking schedule from things which boild down for three hours.

The big surprise I had was the first Thanksgiving trip (and the only one) I spent most of it worried about pipes since I didn't know about the way when the cold first arrives what a surprise it is. And frozen pipes....

Be prepared to adjust and get warm clothes so when it does come you aren't tryign to buy them. I really do reccomend the military thermals to since they work.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM

28,292 posts, read 39,973,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Question. My father purchased and sold a couple of properties at FFG over the years. he made money on one and lost on the other.

There is some guy who has been harassing him for years to join a lawsuit to get the money "he was defrauded." Is there any big litigation going on currently or is it someone who has too much time on his hand?
Truthfully, I don't know, but I avoid ambulance chasers, and that guy sounds like one.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,038,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Truthfully, I don't know, but I avoid ambulance chasers, and that guy sounds like one.

No, just an 83 year old widower with far too much time on his hands.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 12,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post

I then went to the area around Lancaster PA, and went to some places I've been before, but as many of you know thats a tourist draw. I did get to a couple shops I wanted to, spent the night, but felt I really needed to explore Virginia.

Is anyone interested in further updates? I don't want to bore people.
Where did you visit around Lancaster? I used to live in the area - actually near Garden Spot Village retirement community in eastern Lancaster county and I loooooved the area. I think certain parts are definitely touristy, but you can't beat the scenery or easy access to the east coast cities!

Keep updating us!

Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,604,216 times
Quote:
hi everyone... I am on my trip and wanted to check in. I so appreciate everyone's response and conversation; I really do, it is so helpful.

I am concentrating this trip in Virginia. I got lost the first night as i discovered my GPS is on vacation somewhere else, and wont give me directions!

I found a Wegman's store that I'd heard reference to online, so that was a great store to experience !! wish there were more of them along my travels.

Is anyone interested in further updates? I don't want to bore people.
I definitely would love to hear updates, especially on your impressions of Virginia. We just escaped/moved from the craziness of No. Va. to our lake house at Lake Anna, between Culpepper and Charlottesville, 30 minutes from Frederisckburg. We love it but are still adjusting to planning trips as everything is 30 minutes away, not just around the corner as before.

Glad you found a Wegman's. People don't understand how a grocery store is so much more than that unless they've experienced it.

Be careful of solely depending on gps especially in mountainous areas. Some of us went to the Homestead, out in the mountains last fall for a conference and a couple of people got really lost that way.

Enjoy your trip and send I. Reports!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM

95 posts, read 202,295 times
Hi all, I really appreciate the responses.

Virginia is beautiful ! I loved every where I went. I'm now planning when to make another trip; thinking either November or waiting til February. I'm looking at houses online. I would love to find a bargain (who wouldn't) that doesn't need a lot of major work. My price range is $60,00 to no more than $90,000.

Someone else's bid was accepted on a home I really liked in Madison Heights. Oh, I realize I'm responding in the retirement forum; probably should go to the Virginia boards and ask about specific areas.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 AM

3,416 posts, read 5,149,449 times
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in VA and are planning to come back. I don't know how much snow the Lynchburg area got in the big snowstorm of February 2014 but here in Sw VA we got hammered. Floyd got some of the worst with about 2 feet of the white stuff.

So if you come in the winter do think about what weather conditions you might have to deal with.

PS: I moved her from Northern CA after living there for 32 years. I thought that since I had grown up in NY I was prepared for dealing with winter but it's a lot tougher in your sixties than when you're a kid and teenager. Being retired and not having to go out beyond the back yard or to the mail box helps but it's still can be a lot to cope with.

Last edited by zugor; 08-20-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM

72,123 posts, read 83,817,792 times
Quote:
Hi and thanks for all the above replies.

other than reasonable housing... I hope the weather is more tolerable than the many days of heat... I usually have to have a/c on in Calif all of July, August, and September..... and are $350 for the "pleasure" of being 79 degrees indoors!

Other things I'm looking for" I'm pretty much a homebody, maybe if i enjoyed summer I'd be out more... I like square dancing, and will check areas for that; I'm not a huge shopper, but groceries within 1/2 hr is good.

The Charlottesville to Richmond area was recommended, but they seem more expensive for housing. Having been in Calif all my life, I dont mind some driving to things (more than 30 miles) I know some think if its not within a 10mile radius its too far. I like rural

Thanks for responding and asking. Glad to have a few respond and give me some insights
We loved Roanoke. I don't know about the housing prices but it is really neat town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or