U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 PM
2 posts, read 1,991 times
Reputation: 10



I'm hoping someone can help me out with an issue I have regarding a 401k plan. I'm a bit of an idiot leaving things so late but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I was employed in USA by Nortel Networks from mid-2000 to mid 2002 when I was made redundant and then moved back to the UK (UK National). I took out a 401k plan with Metlife which was entitled Nortel Networks Long Term Investment Plan. Nortel subsequently went Chapter 11 in 2009 I think. I'm doing a round-up of all my pensions as I'm hoping to retire in 6-7 years and belatedly remembered this 401k plan. I've already submitted a request to the PGBC to see if I have any retirement benefits following the Pension fund being taken over by them.

I have my original login details to the plan online but it no longer works and just directs me the 'normal' metlife login page which I can't get to work (not even sure if the password is correct, it was 12 years ago!). I can't reset the password as I no longer have the email address and of course I no longer have my USA home address.

I phoned the metlife helpline and a nice lady there couldn't find any reference to a 401k in either my name or my SSN. She then transferred me to another associated company they have (can't remember name ) who also struck out.

Now I'm a bit stuck, all the email addresses on their website require a Plan ID/Account number etc. and I've searched everywhere and I don't seem to have anything like that. I can't seem to find a generic email address I can use. The helpline can't seem to find me with my SSN. I've got loads of quarterly statements but they were generated by Nortel and don't include the Account number. I've got the vast majority of my payslips from those years and they definitely show contributions to a 401k plan (just not which one).

Can anyone suggest a route for me to proceed, an email address would be ideal.....

Is it possible the PGBC acquired all the 401k's (I didn't think that was allowed)?

Sorry for long email, hoping someone can assist
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 PM
223 posts, read 274,280 times
Reputation: 443
Did you try to find information at the corporate site?

Welcome to Nortel

Also, have you tried asking MetLife where your money was transferred to? You have proof that they once had your money, so they should have to launch an investigation to trace/track the transactions. I'm thinking that the money may be in the custody of the US state in which were once living. Often times, accounts are deemed to be abandoned and must be turned over to the state to keep track of. You may be asked to prove your identity if that is the case.

Edited to add: I just found this court document, but I don't know if it applies to you:


Last edited by TheMartianChick; 08-06-2014 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
2 posts, read 1,991 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you

Gives me some avenues to try, I'll do some more research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,230 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Reputation: 7180
Be aware that the PBGC does not control 401k plans. They do the old-style traditional defined benefit pension plans only.

See Pension Plan Benefits Insured & Trusteed by PBGC where it says:
"PBGC.gov does not have information about 401(k) plans. PBGC does not insure 401(k) plans or other types of retirement plans in which an employee and/or employer makes contributions to the employee's individual plan account."

401k's are handled by the US Dept of Labor's EBSA office under a set of laws referred to as ERISA.
See http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/contactEBSA/...ssistance.html

There is a button for "Report a Problem". It pops up a form to fill in explaining your issue, which you can submit on-line. You can also add attachments.

(The form has a required field for State/Zip Code. I would put your full non-US City/Country/Post Code in the City block, and fake the St/Zip block with something like DC/99999. Hopefully that will get the job done)

Good Luck............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top