Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times

Advertisements

If you really think about it, housing, AC, heat, property taxes, home maint. etc. is your biggest cost. I continue to research low cost alternatives. If you really sit down and think about it, the average retired couple often has far more space than they really need. EG: Does a retired couple need 3 bedrooms? Need a yard for the kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:06 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
OMG, Stealth, there is a Mrs. Stealth????????????

Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
I admire anyone who can make it work. It's going to take more than reading several articles, though. There is a whole host of issues to consider, and certainly, it's not a solution for everyone.

As pointed out on the threads about people retiring to low COL areas, there are always going to be trade-offs, some more acceptable than others.

The worst, I think, is retiring to an "American Colony" anywhere. If you don't speak the language and "fit in" somehow, there exists a serious potential for trouble. On the other hand, if you are part (native of that country) and speak the language fluently, then there is a greater chance of keeping a higher quality of life in times of trouble where being American might not be the best idea.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
for those who think they can do better in another country check really closely: check what you get in housing; very few countries have housing the way we do: for us a small apartment is a gigantic one in many countries: check the taxes; check the honest availability of good health care; think about being separated from your family and the cost of travel: then tell us, based on a couple of articles about retiring in other countries. It might work for some, there are many who seem to like Costa Rica for starters, but for most of us: it is cheaper and better to continue to live in America. We have friends who tried Belize, they lasted about 6 months. Other friends that spent 1/2 the year in AZ and 1/2 in Mazatlan. There place in Mazatlan was a dream come true, but it also was super expensive. They eventually sold it. We had another friend who decided they would rather live in New Zealand: they were not retired yet. She was from the UK and he America. I think they were gone 2 years at the most. They couldn't wait to get back to America and her entire family was still in the UK.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Can't wait for the moment my brother who lives in Brazil realizes that he can't find anyone to do his knee replacement much less rehab and PT to bring him back to optimal health.

He "retired" there - actually, he ran away from from an ex-wife to a life where his $1000 a month pension would go a long way. His new wife is a rancher - he is a well kept man.

But they live in rural Brazil. Far from optimal medical facilities much less specialized surgical/medical care and rehab.

I agree with whomever said you'd have a much better time living in low cost America - flyover, or whatever you want to call it.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for those who think they can do better in another country check really closely: check what you get in housing; very few countries have housing the way we do: for us a small apartment is a gigantic one in many countries: check the taxes; check the honest availability of good health care; think about being separated from your family and the cost of travel: then tell us, based on a couple of articles about retiring in other countries. It might work for some, there are many who seem to like Costa Rica for starters, but for most of us: it is cheaper and better to continue to live in America. We have friends who tried Belize, they lasted about 6 months. Other friends that spent 1/2 the year in AZ and 1/2 in Mazatlan. There place in Mazatlan was a dream come true, but it also was super expensive. They eventually sold it. We had another friend who decided they would rather live in New Zealand: they were not retired yet. She was from the UK and he America. I think they were gone 2 years at the most. They couldn't wait to get back to America and her entire family was still in the UK.
American standards for housing far surpass what most other countries have.
Over in the retirement forum a true "cottage" was being described as living in a coffin.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Not just Argentina: 11 countries near bankruptcy

I found it interesting that Belize is on the list and has been touted for the last few years as a safe haven for retirement, E-business operations and living with your assets transferred there because of low taxation etc etc etc.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:26 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not just Argentina: 11 countries near bankruptcy

I found it interesting that Belize is on the list and has been touted for the last few years as a safe haven for retirement, E-business operations and living with your assets transferred there because of low taxation etc etc etc.
We're all going broke. That said I have decided to stay in the US in the lower cost Mid South and take my chances with the devil I know rather than go overseas.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
We're all going broke. That said I have decided to stay in the US in the lower cost Mid South and take my chances with the devil I know rather than go overseas.
Yeah probably a slower march to insolvency. Then again New Jersey where you are now is on a much faster pace and helping to lead the way.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yeah probably a slower march to insolvency. Then again New Jersey where you are now is on a much faster pace and helping to lead the way.
Bought a house in North Carolina getting away from this corrupt place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement