U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,312,131 times

Advertisements

OMG Frihed, Mass is very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,752,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, we do live in a country with eminent domain, but you are wrong about what they give you for your property. They base the price on taxes and assessments from the year prior and give you fair market value plus!!! I may also add, this doesn't happen very often. In other countries you do not own the land period. They can disrupt at anytime and give you nothing!!!!

if you are paying taxes in 2 countries why is that the United States fault? If you earn money here of course you pay taxes on the money, why would you not?

Student loans are not that hard to pay off and major in the right field and you will find a job.

Will you see social security? Most likely yes, but you may have to wait til you are 70 or so. Should you wait? If you are under a certain age yes. It was never expected to be the main source of anyone's income for 30 years. People are living longer and healthier; the SS age and Medicare age needs to be raised. But this is not going to affect people who are over 50 or 55 right now.

As for people moving to developed countries life New Zealand and Germany, they are not. Where are you getting your ideas? Most who are leaving are going to less expensive countries like Central and So America. They are not going to countries with high taxes like Germany. If you think you are paying through your nose now, be my guest: move and see what it is like.
If you live outside the US and are a US citizen you have to file taxes with the US, even if you make no money from the US. So money made in the foreign country that has nothing whatsoever with the US can be taxed by the US if you earn the equivalent of about $92K. How is that fair?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,709,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I don't know about Poland except that many have moved to the UK. But I know many Americans who live or have lived in the UK. Some move back to the US, but the majority prefer to stay here. Like me, they prefer the NHS to US health insurance worries. There are many reasons I prefer it here, but one reason I'd never move back even if I wanted to would be the healthcare.

You should check out the numbers of UK citizens, particularly young males with families, who are immigrating to Canada and Australia, and trying to immigrate to the US. They claim the taxes are lower, it is easier and less expensive to buy a house, and it is easier to succeed in business.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,709,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
If you live outside the US and are a US citizen you have to file taxes with the US, even if you make no money from the US. So money made in the foreign country that has nothing whatsoever with the US can be taxed by the US if you earn the equivalent of about $92K. How is that fair?

In all fairness you should add that the US has tax treaties with most other countries so that a US citizen working in another country does not pay taxes to two countries on the same income. The US credits the tax paid to the other country against tax owed to the US.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,299,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You should check out the numbers of UK citizens, particularly young males with families, who are immigrating to Canada and Australia, and trying to immigrate to the US. They claim the taxes are lower, it is easier and less expensive to buy a house, and it is easier to succeed in business.
My daughter met her husband in the UK a few years back. They lived just outside of London and my daughter loved it. For a few years it was fine but he couldn't wait to move to the US.

I guess it is a matter of personal taste whether to live in the US or abroad but I would think twice about moving to what you might consider a 3rd world nation. Once TSHTF you become a target. I'll take my chances here thanks. If it was so bad why are people still coming?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,453,591 times
I find it ironic that foreigners are trying to get in and Americans are trying to ge out. We as Americans have become complacent and don't realize how well our bread is buttered. More irony is that the pilgrims came over to escape taxation. I guess that's why people are running to third world countries. Ever heard the saying, "Freedom isn't free?" NOTHING is free. lol

Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM

787 posts, read 895,985 times
I have never seen retirement migration numbers to the USA published to support the claims made by many on this forum. I have seen that net migration between USA and Mexico has been flat between 2005-2010 and net migrations are the highest to Canada since the Vietnam war. But neither of these numbers have anything to do with retirement. I have also seen that the number of retiree's abroad collecting Social Security is about 600,000 and has doubled in the past 10 years and the trend is expected to continue.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,299,327 times
I have to laugh at the notion that health care is free in Europe. Really think so?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,356,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I have to laugh at the notion that health care is free in Europe. Really think so?
In many countries, for residents, I believe that it is. Not for visitors, of course.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,898,680 times
I'd love to retire in another country. It would be a blast to experience new things at that age. Plus, as one who takes care of her aging mother, I now realize I don't want to burden my kids. If I live that far away, what they don't know won't hurt them. I can die in peace and enjoyment and they can have no guilt about it.
When you live close to your kids, they start gradually taking care of you until one day you're son in law is building you an attachment with an extended commode. No thanks! I'd rather fall down the stairs in a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement