U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,299,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
In many countries, for residents, I believe that it is. Not for visitors, of course.
So the doctors work for free and the hospitals don't charge for any of their services. The system is far from perfect in the US but if you don't think taxes of some kind do not pay for these so called "free" services you might want to think how anyone gets paid over there for their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
Always wonder about the truth when people go to 'third world' or 'less expensive' countries. Can things be so fiscally idyllic? Oh one can live real well with those SS checks coming in and getting a steak for 'ten cents'. And I also wonder how those 'affluents' get along with the locals who no doubt struggle to make ends meet. It's nice to be living the high life but where one does it may bring on some interesting scenarios to the expats.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 PM

10,531 posts, read 8,781,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG Frihed, Mass is very expensive.
Not compared to Denmark. My marginal tax rate as a retiree will be around 60%. I pay 25% VAT on all goods and services i buy. A half-decent meal for two costs over $100. And so on.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
If you live outside the US and are a US citizen you have to file taxes with the US, even if you make no money from the US. So money made in the foreign country that has nothing whatsoever with the US can be taxed by the US if you earn the equivalent of about $92K. How is that fair?
Both Denmark and the US tax me on my world-wide income. I pay the much higher Danish income tax and use the foreign tax credits to erase my US income taxes. Of course, I pay 3 x times as much tax as in the US!

But it's worth it.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I find it ironic that foreigners are trying to get in and Americans are trying to ge out. We as Americans have become complacent and don't realize how well our bread is buttered. More irony is that the pilgrims came over to escape taxation. I guess that's why people are running to third world countries. Ever heard the saying, "Freedom isn't free?" NOTHING is free. lol
Ever heard the saying. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
In many countries, for residents, I believe that it is. Not for visitors, of course.
We pay higher taxes for all the goodies we get.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 AM

18,632 posts, read 9,625,296 times
I've worked and lived over 10 years in Europe (which I hated), Asia (which I loved) and the Middle East (which I also hated) and have agreed to work the next 18 months in S. America, which I hope is more like Asia than the other two.

Thailand is a country where most people could retire cheaper and have access to a great culture that is friendly, respectful, and where you can live much better at a given cost than the USA as long as you can handle warm and humid climate...Malaysia has many advantages as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Ever heard the saying. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?
A line in the song "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,753,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You should check out the numbers of UK citizens, particularly young males with families, who are immigrating to Canada and Australia, and trying to immigrate to the US. They claim the taxes are lower, it is easier and less expensive to buy a house, and it is easier to succeed in business.
Why would I care? I'm retired here in Scotland and I'm perfectly happy. Of course, taxes are a bit higher but then I never had to think about the price of health insurance and never have to pay for prescriptions. So it balances out.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,753,398 times
Quote:
It isn't free. It comes out of the taxes we pay. But no resident is ever denied healthcare because they don't have insurance, like in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement