U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:20 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,957 times

Advertisements

Kevxu..

As an American who is pretty much at ease as well with the European your post brought me
back to my grandfather who came here at the turn of the century, stayed a while and then high-tailed it back to the old country.....to my greatest pleasure! His dislike apparently contributed to my revelry in things 'European'. Amazing! The United States of America, that land of milk and honey, did not appeal to him. Made me think that getting 'rooted' is a challenge all citizens of the world face. One man's 'Shangri-la' or 'Xanadu' can be another's dismal portage on the river Styx. ..;-)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,296,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
A line in the song "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.

Actually Kristofferson but we'll let it go.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Nobody said it was cheaper to live in the UK. Although healthcare costs (or lack of) could definitely make it cheaper to live here. It's a moot point anyway. There is no retirement visa for the UK. They aren't going to let Americans move here who never paid taxes or contributed anything here just so they can sponge off the NHS.

I have paid taxes here and I came due to marriage. I didn't realize when I moved here how great it is to be a retiree here.
Sponge? Maybe med care here in the US wouldn't be so damn high if we stopped providing protection for most of the world. You have illegals coming over here every day soaking up services like med care and schools that I still pay for even though all my children are well past school age. Nobody pays like we do.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just be sure to vote and be active in your new community. We have our problems here in NC, too! Having said that, my friends who have relocated from NJ love it here!

Too many damn Yankees is your problem.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Sponge? Maybe med care here in the US wouldn't be so damn high if we stopped providing protection for most of the world. You have illegals coming over here every day soaking up services like med care and schools that I still pay for even though all my children are well past school age. Nobody pays like we do.
Costs in the US are the highest in the world because healthcare is a 'for profit' business. The insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are very rich. Doctors order unnecessary tests so they can charge more.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM

290 posts, read 830,498 times
Cool Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I just bought 2 more Asia > USA flights this week. They were less than I paid when living in Asia in 1980's, but is up a couple hundred bucks from my cheapest. Still within a shout of $1000 (1/20th of my annual HC premiums in USA, 1/20th of property taxes in USA). I can actually fly back and forth once / month for what I save living here (Asia at the moment).

I will do some stays in Europe too. Lived there in the 1990's and will seek out some of the low cost areas to live (temporarily) in the future. You can often get flights for under $1000 to Europe. Since we are Retired...(and still flexible) we can find very cheap fares (I get the emails on Weds from Airlines and have paid $300RT SFO to Tokyo, Europe can be less than that!)

Certainly is not the life / desire of many, especially 'traditionalists' (which is not those who choose to retire OOC) . That is a good thing (for us and for them). More space / services for each

Heath Care cost and quality service drives many of my choices (I retired pre age 50 w/o pension or healthcare... many more years of HC and retirement to fund before I'm Medicare eligible (Which will be gone / raided / too expensive by the time I reach that age... or I may be gone by then and not need to burden the system...)).
StealthRabbit you sure do seem to live an interesting life. I hope my wife and I are able to travel and live in interesting areas/countries. Would be very interested in how you do it, especially if it is doable for us.
Thanks for the interesting posts.

Peace,
wc@h

Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,783,775 times
Default butcher holler

I would agree that most of the posters deriding foreign retirement or countries have probably never left the holler they were born in. I personally wouldn't move to a 3rd world country, but I'd jump at the chance to retire to Italy or France if I had the means.

Americans seem to be able to forget about our economic problems, racial tensions, draconian drug laws and jail sentences, high crime, gun violence and failing school systems, religious intolerance and of course our dysfunctional goverment. And then throw out that old cliche, "but we're #1! " Really? In what? Gun violence? Obesity? Certainly not healthcare, education, social net or even economically. Germany's economy is wiping the floor with us.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I would agree that most of the posters deriding foreign retirement or countries have probably never left the holler they were born in. I personally wouldn't move to a 3rd world country, but I'd jump at the chance to retire to Italy or France if I had the means.

Americans seem to be able to forget about our economic problems, racial tensions, draconian drug laws and jail sentences, high crime, gun violence and failing school systems, religious intolerance and of course our dysfunctional goverment. And then throw out that old cliche, "but we're #1! " Really? In what? Gun violence? Obesity? Certainly not healthcare, education, social net or even economically. Germany's economy is wiping the floor with us.
We have the highest first-day death rate in the industrialized world.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:46 AM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post

In what way is Germany "wiping the floor with us?" Our GDP is 5 times higher, per capita income is 33% higher in the USA, our GDP grew at a rate 3 times faster last year.

I don't understand why people complain so much but won't leave. Arrogant and rude Juliette and other arrogant without a reason types have left for Europe thankfully and I hope they stay there. I was offered $25,000/mo to do some consulting work in Europe for a former client but I hate it so much over there that I just won't go back.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
If an American retiree came over to the UK to live and, of course, had never paid taxes here, then using the NHS would be sponging. So it is not allowed to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement