Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:02 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As I said yesterday, this is your preference and it is fine, but for every senior deciding to retire in foreign countries there are 20 people on the list to immigrant to America. And how many people live in our country that are from UK? A heck of a lot. The basis of the story, if you read it, was cost of living and for the most part UK wasn't where retirees were going. There is no way anyone can honestly believe that living in UK is cheaper than living in America. The article mostly mentioned countries that were bordering on 3 world. If this is what seniors want or others that is fine. If you have a personal reason for not wanting to live in America that is fine, but the article is still bunk!!!!

and as for your comment about no one ever being turned down for medical care because they can't afford it: you don't mention the length of time it can take to see a doctor and you forget, even here in the USA it is rare anyone can not get medical care if they need it. We have several family members in the medical field.
Nobody said it was cheaper to live in the UK. Although healthcare costs (or lack of) could definitely make it cheaper to live here. It's a moot point anyway. There is no retirement visa for the UK. They aren't going to let Americans move here who never paid taxes or contributed anything here just so they can sponge off the NHS.

I have paid taxes here and I came due to marriage. I didn't realize when I moved here how great it is to be a retiree here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-reas...121610918.html

Good article.

It's shocking that one couple can get phone + internet service for $25/month or something like that abroad.
#1 - There are low property tax areas in the US too, particularly given that the kids are grown and school district doesn't matter any more.

#2 - Skype or FaceTime can also be done from one U.S. location to another, so is not a reason to go overseas

#3 - There's political drama everywhere. You'd only be trading one political drama for another, not escaping it!

#4 - You can always travel for medical incidentals not covered by Medicare. No need to live somewhere just to get their medical treatments, unless you're so broke you can't afford airfare. In that case you will qualify for Medicaid anyway so what's the issue?

#5 - to some extent, yes. But big cities are expensive no matter where you go, and if you're willing to live in more rural areas you can reduce your costs in the U.S. as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Bought a house in North Carolina getting away from this corrupt place.
Just be sure to vote and be active in your new community. We have our problems here in NC, too! Having said that, my friends who have relocated from NJ love it here!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM

192 posts, read 269,929 times
Obrigado, Kevxu.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Bought a house in North Carolina getting away from this corrupt place.
NJ is one state that is not very kind to retirees. RI is another. NC is not bad. Weather is good and they have a flat tax rate that seems to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just be sure to vote and be active in your new community. We have our problems here in NC, too! Having said that, my friends who have relocated from NJ love it here!
As you said NC has its problems but that can be said for all places. If there were any one place that was perfect it would soon become over populated. Then there is this one point that everyone has an opinion and we all know what we like.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
Obrigado, Kevxu.

yes, that!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
#3 - There's political drama everywhere. You'd only be trading one political drama for another, not escaping it!
When I was younger, I lived in several developing countries. I found that not being so personally involved in the "political drama" made it a whole lot easier to take.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
When I was younger, I lived in several developing countries. I found that not being so personally involved in the "political drama" made it a whole lot easier to take.
Agree. We lived in Uganda and we kept our mouths shut about anything political, the corruption, any attitudes we didn't agree with.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:30 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-reas...121610918.html

Good article.

It's shocking that one couple can get phone + internet service for $25/month or something like that abroad.
Ecuador sounds nice, if you have no kids and hence no grandkids to visit. But if you have no kids you can afford to retire in the U.S. so why bother going all the way to freakin' Ecuador?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Retire overland to the Republic of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement