U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
True but there are natural outcomes that aren't either and that tipping point is being reached in many places.
Oh the tipping point is being reached and then some in various segments.
But to connect all the dots means searching and hunting down various reports.

A majority of US schools receive Title 1 funds. To get Title 1 funds a school must have 10% or more poor students.

A new report shows that 35% of Americans are on means tested programs (excludes SS/medicare) and that report is for 2012.

We've all seen the report that 47% of Americans don't pay Fed Income tax (too low earnings or they get it all back in refunds).

The majority of those jobs that came back since 2008 are low paying service jobs with most being part time.

The dots seem to be all over and it's a matter of connecting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh the tipping point is being reached and then some in various segments.
But to connect all the dots means searching and hunting down various reports.

A majority of US schools receive Title 1 funds. To get Title 1 funds a school must have 10% or more poor students.

A new report shows that 35% of Americans are on means tested programs (excludes SS/medicare) and that report is for 2012.

We've all seen the report that 47% of Americans don't pay Fed Income tax (too low earnings or they get it all back in refunds).

The majority of those jobs that came back since 2008 are low paying service jobs with most being part time.

The dots seem to be all over and it's a matter of connecting them.
People who connect them often get called mean spirited and selfish.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
People who connect them often get called mean spirited and selfish.
LOL..more like paranoid, wearing that tin foil hat, drinking the koolaid from conspiracy sites like ATF

I like think "outside the box" and connecting the dots to see the bigger picture.

I'm the lemming wearing the parachute as we are all herded up the side of the mountain

I follow the port data (port of long beach, etc) to see what raw goods are coming in vs going out vs empty containers.
That's one figure that can't be fudged (so far).

Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister was fired from her job as a pet-store manager when she told them she was pregnant, also in 1977.

And I'm sure you also remember the Help Wanted columns in newspapers split into two categories--Male and Female.
That was a frequent occurrence at that time. But I believe it was because there was an assumption that the woman would not continue to work after she had the baby, since it was expected she would be a stay-at-home mother. Single motherhood was also not nearly as frequent as it is these days, and it certainly wasn't encouraged like it is now.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM

624 posts, read 603,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
But there are also folks who have worked strenuously to put themselves through college only to find professional jobs lacking once they graduate. Plus having 50-100K in student debt.

Then there are folks who learned a trade, lets say auto repair or construction, only to find that wages have stagnated for decades. Used to be you could raise a family on these types of jobs. (Which are still needed.)

There are no pension plans, few matching 401K's, few benefits, no guaranteed sick leave or vacation and yet we spew hate on those whose everyday struggles most of us cannot imagine.

Personally I cannot agree with the vitriol commonly seen on these sites against people who go to work every day, and Lordy, don't have a million to retire on.

Really?

How many lost all their equity in the 07-09 meltdown? Had to raid their 401K's to feed themselves or save their underwater homes? Had to take SS @ 62 in order to live when the unemployment insurance ran out when no one would hire a greybeard?

Have we forgotten all that in a couple years? Compassion and understanding cost nothing. Be generous with your thoughts even if you cannot be generous with your lucre.
Thank you.

The possibility of being homeless in the so called golden years is a reality for a lot of us. I worked a full time at a so-so paying job for 35 years until I got flushed in 2006. Since I was over the age of 45 when I lost my job, apparently I am too old to work in my field, even though I have an excellent work history/references. The 401K had to be cashed out when I found out I had cancer, two years after being laid off. The best job I could come up with pays $9.60 an hour. I have been limping along on that wage for the past five years. It sucks, but I'm single and my parents are dead, so I have no choice. I refuse to go into student loan debt at my age, since they can garnish your Social Security benefits if you can't repay. I'm not crying about my situation, but I also don't like having it rubbed in my face that I'm some kind of loser because I don't have a bursting bank account.

Moral of the story? Sh*t happens, and don't think for a minute it can't happen to you.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,062,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
Thank you.

The possibility of being homeless in the so called golden years is a reality for a lot of us. I worked a full time at a so-so paying job for 35 years until I got flushed in 2006. Since I was over the age of 45 when I lost my job, apparently I am too old to work in my field, even though I have an excellent work history/references. The 401K had to be cashed out when I found out I had cancer, two years after being laid off. The best job I could come up with pays $9.60 an hour. I have been limping along on that wage for the past five years. It sucks, but I'm single and my parents are dead, so I have no choice. I refuse to go into student loan debt at my age, since they can garnish your Social Security benefits if you can't repay. I'm not crying about my situation, but I also don't like having it rubbed in my face that I'm some kind of loser because I don't have a bursting bank account.

Moral of the story? Sh*t happens, and don't think for a minute it can't happen to you.

The good news is that if Treasury garnishes your Social Security they have to let you keep the first $750 monthly. Apparently Congress presumes everyone can live on $750 a month.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM

15,734 posts, read 9,253,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The good news is that if Treasury garnishes your Social Security they have to let you keep the first $750 monthly. Apparently Congress presumes everyone can live on $750 a month.
Apparently Congress is intent on getting back what taxpayers lent in good faith.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Apparently Congress is intent on getting back what taxpayers lent in good faith.

As well they should. But Congress is getting back far more in many cases than was lent; every month a 20% fee is added when I make a payment. I've paid more in added student loan fees than the principal I borrowed.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM

15,734 posts, read 9,253,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As well they should. But Congress is getting back far more in many cases than was lent; every month a 20% fee is added when I make a payment. I've paid more in added student loan fees than the principal I borrowed.
Which was agreed upon when you took out the loan. No different than a home or car payment. You pay far more in interest than in the principal. Don't like it, don't agree to the loan.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Which was agreed upon when you took out the loan. No different than a home or car payment. You pay far more in interest than in the principal. Don't like it, don't agree to the loan.

There was language in there about 'reasonable and affordable' payments. Since my payments put me iin a position where I literally cannot afford to move into a new place, it is apparent that their definition of reasonable and affordable differs from mine.

What happens when I become homeless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or