U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM

71,762 posts, read 71,853,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Even the wealthy are likely to end up on Medicaid (a social assistance program for low-income) after they "spend down," either through some "legal plan" or actually, as they enter nursing homes. With that fact, we have to step back and, as I said earlier, look at the whole picture (causes) rather than just effects. One major "cause" of our societal problem is the insane and spiraling cost of healthcare and SNFs, which began to happen exponentially in the boomer era.
odds are anyone with LTC INSURANCE will be on medicaid when the insurance runs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM

29,789 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we don't get any subsidy on our obamma care plan at all. but even so where we were paying 14k for insurance prior we now pay 6k and basically the gold plan is pay as you go for anything but your primary.

since we are in a small business obama plan we have a 3k out of pocket each but the individual gold plan is 6k out of pocket.

if we have no excessive claims for the next 5 months we will have saved about 4-5k on the obama plan with zero subsidy.
Sorta funny in that you had insurance previously and feel that ACA if you stay healthy will have saved you thousands this year. Others who previously had no insurance and bought because required to are in some cases complaining because they are being forced to pay a premium because their good health is bringing nor saving them anything. Some embrace protection against the future unknown more than others. That is part of the challenge as we collectively need to prepare our later years.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM

they are not comparing apples to apples then. many had such bare bone policys they were really like just blue cross blue shield hospitalization like we had decades ago. they didn't meet the new minimum requirements foir coverage so they needed upgraded plans.

unless they had paid health care or a low end policy there is little comparison in coverage and rates

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM

29,789 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
they are not comparing apples to apples then. many had such bare bone policys they were really like just blue cross blue shield hospitalization like we had decades ago. they didn't meet the new minimum requirements foir coverage so they needed upgraded plans.

unless they had paid health care or a low end policy there is little comparison in coverage and rates
The point was they didn't want the protection of insurance at a cost if not needed now. Sorta like not buying retirement insurance called savings/investing.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 AM

they may not have wanted bwetter coverage but nothing is a problem until it is a problem . you can be sure the first time they are covered for something they weren't before and it cost more then they are paying in insurance they will be darn happy they have it.

how many times do you hear talk about how a medical event drained them and set them back because they weren't covered enough or at all..

Old 09-01-2014, 11:53 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,556,082 times
Quote:
they may not have wanted bwetter coverage but nothing is a problem until it is a problem . you can be sure the first time they are covered for something they weren't before and it cost more then they are paying in insurance they will be darn happy they have it.

how many times do you hear talk about how a medical event drained them and set them back because they weren't covered enough or at all..
Most of the medical bankruptcies were by people with insurance.
They didn't have the out of pocket money to pay the balance.

People basically want medicaid with a low premium.
That's what they want..100% paid coverage for a very little monthly payment.

The days of an emergency fund are long gone.
The days of paying for it yourself are long gone for many too.

So it really doesn't matter what scheme we come up with people are going to get caught not having enough money to pay their bills.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 PM

yeah that is what we all want medicaid with low premiums. hmmmmm i think canada beat us to it

Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Count me among them. But then I must have been stupid to not foresee that my ex, after 25 years of marriage, would leave me and take every penny I had that she could and half of all the rest when I was 50. My bad! Guess I should have known in advanced that my current wife would have to retire early due to medical issues then need five surgeries over the next several years that even with good insurance ended up costing us 10s of thousands of dollars out of pocket, not to mention many thousands more for accommodations for her disabilities. My bad again. Oh, and then there was my neurosurgery which was covered by insurance to the tune of $170K but that doesn't take into account the ongoing costs of yard maintenance and housekeeping we now have to pay for every month because we can no longer physically keep up with those chores. My goodness. My bad X3. But I guess that in the end, Stupid Я Us!
I was SMART but didn't even realize it until my lawyer told me.

I tossed my non-working, alkie/druggie husband out the door when we were married for about ten years (I was in court getting a final restraining order against him when I realized the date was our tenth anniversary). When I filed for divorce the following year after understanding that he had zero intention of doing anything to repair the marriage, or himself, the lawyer told me that if we'd been married for THIRTEEN years, he would have automatically gotten a piece of my pension. That would have been the biggest slap in the face, as he drove me down into debt so far that it took years to pay off. I think I probably would have really had to kill him.

But, fortunately, he has no claim on my pension at all. And now that these many years later he has pulled himself together enough to maintain gainful employment, he will probably have to work until he drops.

But, yeah, I was stupid for staying in the marriage too long in the first place. He started his trip downhill in year 3 and I waited until year 10 to end it. It cost me a lot of money that I will never recover. But, I have great health insurance that I will carry into retirement.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:36 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,242,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was SMART but didn't even realize it until my lawyer told me.

I tossed my non-working, alkie/druggie husband out the door when we were married for about ten years (I was in court getting a final restraining order against him when I realized the date was our tenth anniversary). When I filed for divorce the following year after understanding that he had zero intention of doing anything to repair the marriage, or himself, the lawyer told me that if we'd been married for THIRTEEN years, he would have automatically gotten a piece of my pension. That would have been the biggest slap in the face, as he drove me down into debt so far that it took years to pay off. I think I probably would have really had to kill him.

But, fortunately, he has no claim on my pension at all. And now that these many years later he has pulled himself together enough to maintain gainful employment, he will probably have to work until he drops.

But, yeah, I was stupid for staying in the marriage too long in the first place. He started his trip downhill in year 3 and I waited until year 10 to end it. It cost me a lot of money that I will never recover. But, I have great health insurance that I will carry into retirement.
And since you were married for more than 10 years, you have a claim on a half portion of his SS (or he on yours)
Either way, it won't hurt your pocketbook.

on keeping your pension to yourself!

Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most of the medical bankruptcies were by people with insurance.
They didn't have the out of pocket money to pay the balance.

People basically want medicaid with a low premium.
That's what they want..100% paid coverage for a very little monthly payment.

The days of an emergency fund are long gone.
The days of paying for it yourself are long gone for many too.

So it really doesn't matter what scheme we come up with people are going to get caught not having enough money to pay their bills.
10 million people with insurance will face medical bills this year alone they will not be able to pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or