U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 PM

29,905 posts, read 34,959,090 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^Bada Bing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 PM

39 posts, read 76,652 times
Quote:
Different strokes. I lived in Northern California for 25 years and I've now been in Tennessee for two and cannot wait to leave. I will take the vibe of California any day.
Rate this post positively
May I ask why you can't wait to leave TN?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
California will still be here, if you change your mind, OP.
That's what hubby and I have discussed. We can always pack up and move back or move somewhere else!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM

18,157 posts, read 23,113,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin4564 View Post
That's what hubby and I have discussed. We can always pack up and move back or move somewhere else!
That sounds like a plan! Funny, I thought I'd be in Redding for many years, and there is a lot that I really like about it. But, I have learned I don't want to spend another summer here. It's just toooooo hot for me. So, I think my next stop will be Crescent City. And if I don't like it there, I'll move again lol!

But, I want to stay in CA. For one, my daughter is here, and next is because I get good supplemental benefits with my SSI here. And, I love the weather and the culture.

But, I heartily approve of your move, with the caveat that if you aren't happy there, you'll just go try somewhere else.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM

1,929 posts, read 998,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Amen. I am from CA, then went to WA, then to TN for 5 years. Couldn't wait to get back to CA.

There is a lot to love about TN. #1 for me is fireflies. Really miss fireflies. #2 would be redbirds. So pretty and have a great song.

When I was there, Al Gore was a representative (forget which branch, etc.) and was convincing the state not to go for a big contract to store nuclear waste in the state. I was very impressed with how he gently and persistently educated and convinced the citizens of TN that even though it would mean jobs, nuclear waste was not a good thing to have crossing the state on trains, then then being buried there.

But, the culture was not for me long-term. Southerners can look very sweet and friendly to your face, but there is a whole undercurrent of communication going on that unless you are from that culture, you won't realize is happening.

I'm not saying every person in TN is two-faced. I'm saying that someone from CA can be naive about whether a person really likes you or is genuinely friendly, as opposed to just behaving in a way that is thought to be "good manners." I'm from a more straightforward culture, and I don't like mixed messages. I'll take a New Yorker over a southerner any day, as far as not feeling like I need to figure out what they really mean.

This is not true for Texans, in my experience, so there is the exception - but as we all know, TX is not really part of the south anyway. Texans are friendly, but it's genuine. But, they're also not afraid to tell you what they really think, in a nice way of course... But, I've never wasted time with a Texan. I felt like Tennesseans wasted my time a lot, as far as leading me on about whether or not we were going to do business together, or if we were becoming friends. I just felt lost at sea in TN.

The entire state of CA is swarming with meth heads? And there are none in TN?

And same with crime?

Read above as far as people having manners in TN as opposed to CA.

I really hope you find happiness in TN, but I see you fleeing an entire state based on your experience in one area of the state. And it sounds like you don't even have family in TN anymore.

I made the mistake of fleeing the entire country in my 40's, thinking I'd be happier in Mexico where it would be cheaper. Stupidest mistake of my life. I just had to leave the country to realize how much I loved it. Coming back was like a breath of fresh air, where I understood the language and more importantly, the customs - including body language.

That was what it was like for me in TN. I didn't know the cues for their communication by their tone or their body language, etc. It's a different culture with it's own subtle unspoken language and cues. Again, couldn't wait to get back to my own "culture" on the west coast.

California will still be here, if you change your mind, OP.

amen and bless your heart. I couldn't rep you again.

I think of Texans as westerners.

I have been visiting TN all of my life and lived here a good part of it, but I'll never be "from here", which is the way natives explain things when we have a difference of opinion.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 PM

3,363 posts, read 3,067,866 times
Quote:
May I ask why you can't wait to leave TN?
The politics. In SF I was middle of the road, even a bit conservative. Not here.
I hate cold weather.
Sick with asthma and allergies most of the time I've been here.
The undercurrent of religion everywhere.
Crime.
People carry guns.
People think drinking and then getting behind a wheel of a car is no big deal.
They can't drive here when sober either.
Nowhere to bike safely.
The work culture - everyone wants to come in at 7:30 AM and leave before 4:00 PM and the lack of work ethic is amazing.
No public transportation.
My friends live in California.
I love the ocean and the desert.
Limited GOOD ethnic food. I'm over the fancified Southern cuisine.

There are some fun things in Nashville - it's a huge drinking, eating and music (of all types) town. Great place to come visit. And I do plan to make a killing on the house I bought (up over 20% in a year). I came here because of work, but long term, I won't stay.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 PM

@N. Cal.

Politics: Gads, you must be a screaming liberal in TN if you were middle of the road in SF!
Cold weather: Gets just as cold here in Central CA. No snow here but I wouldn't mind some.
You being sick with asthma & allergies worries me as I have both already.
Crime. We already live in the meth center of the universe.
Guns. I like 'em. Enough said.
Don't like drinking and driving but that happens here too.
Central CA drivers are some of the world's worst IMHO.
I don't care about biking so I'm ok on that.
Public transportation..don't use it here.
My friends are here too but there's always the internet!
I like the ocean...desert ok. Can always go to AL for ocean!
Would miss my favorite Indian restaurant here but I'm a lover of good down home Southern food.
You're going to need to make a killing on your house in TN if you plan on buying when you come back to CA. Prices are crazy here as always.
I'm more worried about bugs than anything in TN .
There was a poll taken in CA...don't ask me where...kids 7-10 years old were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up. The answers? Was is veterinarians or teachers perhaps? Nope. #1 Rich #2 Famous. That's CA for you.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 PM

18,157 posts, read 23,113,673 times
Quote:
@N. Cal.

Politics: Gads, you must be a screaming liberal in TN if you were middle of the road in SF!
Cold weather: Gets just as cold here in Central CA. No snow here but I wouldn't mind some.
You being sick with asthma & allergies worries me as I have both already.
Crime. We already live in the meth center of the universe.
Guns. I like 'em. Enough said.
Don't like drinking and driving but that happens here too.
Central CA drivers are some of the world's worst IMHO.
I don't care about biking so I'm ok on that.
Public transportation..don't use it here.
My friends are here too but there's always the internet!
I like the ocean...desert ok. Can always go to AL for ocean!
Would miss my favorite Indian restaurant here but I'm a lover of good down home Southern food.
You're going to need to make a killing on your house in TN if you plan on buying when you come back to CA. Prices are crazy here as always.
I'm more worried about bugs than anything in TN .
There was a poll taken in CA...don't ask me where...kids 7-10 years old were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up. The answers? Was is veterinarians or teachers perhaps? Nope. #1 Rich #2 Famous. That's CA for you.
Never had allergies until I moved to TN. Rarely have problems now that I'm back in CA.

And children all over America wouldn't answer that they want to be rich and famous? They all watch the same TV shows.

You obviously harbor hate for the entire state due to wherever you live in your meth capital in the middle of central CA. Then, you definitely need to get out.

Wait until you see the difference between your idea of cold and the wet, icy cold in TN.

But, heck, you apparently love your hate of CA. Off with you, then.

Oh, and enjoy your ocean beach experience in AL!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 AM

986 posts, read 1,181,409 times
What if you didn't plan for retirement?
That's us alright! I took an early retirement at age 49, we sold everything we own, hardly any in money in the back, took a "leap of faith" and moved overseas in the Philippines, which still had a low cost of living, which enabled us to live pretty well and never had to work again!
17 years later, we're still here and enjoying our retirement lifestyle, home paid for and no more debts!
Had we stayed in N. California, I would still be working today past 65 just to make ends meet and to pay our debts!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,027,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just made $80 for 5hrs of pulling a neighbor's weeds...I would have done it for him for free in his backyard...
really??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement