U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:29 PM

18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I put over $20,000 a year in savings. (That's after a massage every week and Tai Chi Lessons every week.) I'm not 'tight' -- I'm generous. And I think I live a very good life. I just don't need a lot of things anymore.
I saw someone else quoted you about $30,000 not being enough money to live well on. When you said your rent is $500 and your utilities are only $50, I couldn't figure out where in the world you spend your money.

Shoulda guessed it was weekly massages.

You see, it's all relative. I can't afford weekly massages, but it would never occur to me to spend that kind of money anyway. Shoot, even when I was working full time as a secretary I was lucky to make $30,000. So, I'm not gonna feel sorry for you.

And saving $20,000/year? This is also not an indication of "needing" at least $30,000/year to live on.

I live just fine on $877/month. I have an old beater car that's paid for, enough money for the rent, free medical care, subsidized rent at $350/month. My a/c electric bill right now is $80/month to keep it at 80 degrees (ouch says my budget), and I pay for insurance and internet. I don't go out, I don't smoke, and I can save about $100+/month.

I have a free national parks pass and I've been going to Whiskeytown lake to enjoy their free kayak tours this summer, the river is right in town where I can take my dog off leash. There's lots of free stuff to do.

Like I said, it's all relative. I have what I need and am very grateful I could quit a job I hated. And 99% of the time, I don't let myself think about what I would do if I had more money. What's the point?

You can spend your time being angry you can only afford one massage every week, and you can only save $20,000....or you could decide to be really grateful for what you have.

I find the retirement forum depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,121,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I do hope that was meant to be a joke. My neighbors go out of the country to get their dental work done. There is a big dental office behind me that does work for those who can't afford their regular prices a couple of times a year. The place is always packed.

Many places offer payment plans.

I am more aware of over whitened teeth than a lack of teeth.

I haven't seen a corncob pipe lately, either.

yes, I am (over)sensitive.
I hope so, too, meant to be a thoughtless, unfunny joke. What a crass thing to say. People don't care about good manners anymore. They just want to "tell 'em like it is......" regardless of whether what they are telling is untrue, hurtful or just plain mean...they had there say !

Many years ago, I had a sil like the above.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 AM

39 posts, read 76,555 times
Quote:
For goodness sake. There are plenty of cheap places to live in CA with way better weather than TN. I grew up in CA, lived in TN,too. Hot, very humid summers, and cold and icy in the winter.

Find somewhere cheap to live in CA.

Either way, you make me laugh wondering if you can live on what you have. Sheesh. I'd feel like a millionaire. I live on $877/month SSI and I'm doing just fine.

If you can't make in on your "millions," I don't know what to tell you.
Ok, first off, I think your reply was rude. Second. I've lived in CA all my life. It's not just finding someplace cheap to live. It's all the TAXES!!! It's the cost of living. I live in the poorest area in the state and the cost of living is still 25% more than TN. And people are crazy here. Did I mention the TAXES!!!

My millions...you make me laugh. Yeah, it's more than $877/mo. SSI but I bet you're not living alone and if you have SSI you have some sort of "free" medical care and maybe other assistance like so many do in CA. You **** me off.

So it's humid in TN. It was 110 here the other day. And it stays that way for days. We're having a drought. Everyones wells are drying up. It was below freezing for at least a week this past winter. So it's not all fun and games in CA.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:34 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I saw someone else quoted you about $30,000 not being enough money to live well on. When you said your rent is $500 and your utilities are only $50, I couldn't figure out where in the world you spend your money.

You see, it's all relative. I can't afford weekly massages, but it would never occur to me to spend that kind of money anyway. Shoot, even when I was working full time as a secretary I was lucky to make $30,000. So, I'm not gonna feel sorry for you.

And saving $20,000/year? This is also not an indication of "needing" at least $30,000/year to live on.

I live just fine on $877/month. I have an old beater car that's paid for, enough money for the rent, free medical care, subsidized rent at $350/month. My a/c electric bill right now is $80/month to keep it at 80 degrees (ouch says my budget), and I pay for insurance and internet. I don't go out, I don't smoke, and I can save about $100+/month.

I have a free national parks pass and I've been going to Whiskeytown lake to enjoy their free kayak tours this summer, the river is right in town where I can take my dog off leash. There's lots of free stuff to do.

Like I said, it's all relative. I have what I need and am very grateful I could quit a job I hated. And 99% of the time, I don't let myself think about what I would do if I had more money. What's the point?

You can spend your time being angry you can only afford one massage every week, and you can only save $20,000....or you could decide to be really grateful for what you have.

My massages were suggested by my doctor for health reasons -- altho', I grant, they are definitely a luxury.

Good grief -- I'm NOT angry for ME -- you're the second person who has suggested that -- how stupid do you think I am. I am angry for OTHER WHO DO NOT HAVE what I have. And, yes, I do believe others should give it to us. The government should grant everyone, 65 and over, $40000/yr. not subject to taxes and with 5% COLA every year. (Those who do not have a sustainable retirement income of at least $40,000 from other sources.) Every single person, which means that, yes, married couples -- straight and gay -- would get $80,000/yr. And I don't care if you've never worked outside the home -- at 65, everyone would get $40,000/yr. Health care should be 100% free (if you want to try to live forever, do it on your dime -- I've smoked all my life -- when I get lung cancer, just make me comfortable as possible -- why would I expect other taxpayers to pay for my treatment -- which, in the end, isn't going to cure me anyway?!).

I live in New Mexico. 29.9% of our children go to bed hungry every night (I have good reason to think that's an under-estimate) -- and I don't know what percentage of our seniors do but I'm sure it's up there. Add homeless Vets. This is all unconscionable! Especially when big US corporations pay little or no taxes!

You absolutely should not have to live on (essentially) $1227/mo. I don't care if you don't pay taxes on it and that your health care is free. It is WAY too little.

Last edited by Fran66; 08-10-2014 at 04:13 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 AM

12,708 posts, read 9,981,349 times
Quote:
Who would want to live in Ohio. Or any place with brutal winters/summers.
Different people have different preferences but if you can't afford to be picky, you can't afford to be picky!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM

12,708 posts, read 9,981,349 times
Quote:

Car replacement...?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 AM

8,793 posts, read 5,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin4564 View Post
My husband is 64, I'm 65. We got married later in life and neither one of us knew much throughout our lives about saving or investment. So here we are. If we're lucky we might end up with $250,000 in investments, $300,000 when we sell our home plus $3000 approx. from SS per month. We live in CA but are planning on moving to a small town in TN. I wonder if we can manage? I mean we have to manage but it is scary.
Living conservatively - but not necessarily like monks - you should easily be able to make it in a small town on $3k a month - provided there are no major health concerns.

Buy a home for about 100-120K or rent and leave the rest in investments to grow while you live on SS. No new/fancy cars, no jet setting. Just a relatively simple lifestyle. I would research putting the rest into retirement accounts so that they can't be taken if there is a financial tragedy.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 AM
mlb

3,189 posts, read 2,858,918 times
$30K is PLENTY to live on. We do - and stash 14-20K into retirement. For the last 14 years. In 6 years we will call it quits in the workplace.

Pension will be pretty much exactly what we have been living on - the rest is gravy.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:

Really depends on the thread, check out a few other threads on the retirement forum and you'll find some that are upbeat, some amusing and some downright inspiring.

But now that you mention it, it was the same poster who claimed that one "needed" at least $30,000 annually to live. Not sure how the poster came to that conclusion, unless that's what he/she is bringing in, and considers he/she can provide only for his/her basic needs on that amount. But even then, saving $20,000 annually on $30,000 income would be quite a feat- maybe spending as though the monthly income was $877 ( like yours) would do the trick, LOL.

It's amazing that you can save even $100/month on the amount you bring in monthly, but IMO saving even just a little is important, I did that from the beginning of my earning days. Pay yourself first, they used to call it, taking some money out of your earnings to save before you deposit it, or before you spend it, because you'll get used to the reduced amount. You'll never save it if you assume you'll save what's left after you spend what you think you need. Even if it's $5 a month!.

I'd have assumed there were places in CA where the cost of living was fairly reasonable, possibly in northern CA or in small more or less out of the way towns anywhere in the state, but I have no idea of the reality of this assumption. I'm just curious as to where this might be true?

Last edited by Travelassie; 08-10-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
My massages were suggested by my doctor for health reasons -- altho', I grant, they are definitely a luxury.

Good grief -- I'm NOT angry for ME -- you're the second person who has suggested that -- how stupid do you think I am. I am angry for OTHER WHO DO NOT HAVE what I have. And, yes, I do believe others should give it to us. The government should grant everyone, 65 and over, $40000/yr. not subject to taxes and with 5% COLA every year. (Those who do not have a sustainable retirement income of at least $40,000 from other sources.) Every single person, which means that, yes, married couples -- straight and gay -- would get $80,000/yr. And I don't care if you've never worked outside the home -- at 65, everyone would get $40,000/yr. Health care should be 100% free (if you want to try to live forever, do it on your dime -- I've smoked all my life -- when I get lung cancer, just make me comfortable as possible -- why would I expect other taxpayers to pay for my treatment -- which, in the end, isn't going to cure me anyway?!).

I live in New Mexico. 29.9% of our children go to bed hungry every night (I have good reason to think that's an under-estimate) -- and I don't know what percentage of our seniors do but I'm sure it's up there. Add homeless Vets. This is all unconscionable! Especially when big US corporations pay little or no taxes!

You absolutely should not have to live on (essentially) $1227/mo. I don't care if you don't pay taxes on it and that your health care is free. It is WAY too little.
Wow, what a Shangri-La! And just who, exactly, would you expect to pay for all this largesse? Young families struggling to feed and educate their children and put a roof over their heads???????

Oh yeah, that'll work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement