U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've done a spreadsheet as well (mine is for Maine), putting in "dots" in the cells that go with each location that have each of the amenities we want.

First vertical column: the specific locations

Horizontal headings with columns under them for the dots (the amenities):
Thanks for that! I really like your method.
Even though we've settled on our retirement locale, we can use it to help find an apartment/condo/townhouse (no more house maintenance for us ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 03:05 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,725,979 times
Start your selection with a broad brush. As an example year round golf is mandatory for me thus about 80% of the US gets eliminated with the first stroke. Far down my list is the quality of the public schools as I have no children. Now to deal with the 20 or so things in between.....LOL

Last edited by johngolf; 08-23-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM

358 posts, read 362,673 times
We've been in a 10 year process; seriously for about the last five years. I started by considering our general criteria and going into sites like those mentioned above to come with locations. I then checked our criteria against the findings. Then I ran them by the husband who knocked most of them out. Over the years, we contacted realtors in a few of the top choices and learned about the housing availability in our price range. We visited a few of the areas and looked around the neighborhoods and at houses, found the shopping, restaurants, synagogues, recreations, etc.

Finally we narrowed it down to our top three choices (San Diego, Portland Oregon, and Orange County CA). We created a spreadsheet with our criteria down the left side. We had a column for a multiplier of 1 to 5, with 5 being very important criteria and 1 being not very important. Each of us applied our own personal multiplier to each critera. Then each of us rated the criteria in the three locations from, 1-3, with 3 meaning that it best matched the criteria. We each then calculated the multiplier against the rating for each criteria and each location and totaled it up. Example - I gave the criteria of "Recreation/entertainment/access to body of water, beaches" a multiplier of 5 (very important to me). I ranked San Diego 3 (so total of 15 points), Portland 1 (so total of 5), and Orange County 2 (so total of 10).

This was for the benefit of DH; I already knew which would come out on top and I was right - it got the top score from both of us..... San Diego. So we went out and stayed there for a couple of months to really explore the area in depth. It was satisfactory - the only caveat being cost. Over two years later, we are finally maybe probably seriously getting ready to maybe probably seriously sell our home and move there.

Whoever said analysis paralysis - that's DH! I would have moved 10 years ago.

These are our criteria:

-Cost of housing
-Weather - snow, rain, heat, cold
-Cost of living (taxes, utilities, food, gas, etc.)
-Recreation/entertainment/access to body of water, beaches
-Socialization opportunities (JCC, synagogues, universities)
-Major urban access, access to city center
-Employment potential
-Neighborhood, walkability, shopping, etc.
-Ease of transportation - airport, highways, trains
-Safety/crime
-Rental availability - houses? Condos? Etc.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:48 AM

199 posts, read 452,345 times
Sounds like you have too many options, in that case rent until you find the place you like best. If your not sure keep moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or