U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times

Advertisements

Your Retirement: Do You Understand Required Minimum Distributions? - Opinion - Heritage Newspapers

We have talked about this at least once here but it is always good to remind people. We get new members as well coming to get as much information as they can. Please read the above story if you have questions but I will open this with a quote that I think everyone really needs to take heed.

Quote:

How Much Do I Owe?

First and foremost, it is imperative that you do your calculations correctly. The penalty for not taking sufficient RMDs each year after age 70-and-a-half is significant: 50 percent!
It is possible that you can get away with missing or not taking enough. How you might ask? Well you have to do that in writing. You would need to write the IRS with a formal request. Don't miss it twice though. They are unforgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:17 AM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
This issue is not a big deal....just a simple computer calculation. Any financial institution that holds your accounts will do the calculations and automatically send you the RMD to your bank or other accounts as you desire. And, yes, when you take distributions there may be taxes due.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:33 AM

118 posts, read 104,674 times
It shouldn't be a problem if you are in the Thrift Savings Plan. If you're taking monthly payments and it's not enough to meet the RMD for the year, in December the TSP will send you an additional amount to make up the difference.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:33 AM

71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times
it actually is a combination of you and your spouses age that it is based on.

had I known that I would have tried the colleges looking for a wife.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This issue is not a big deal....just a simple computer calculation. Any financial institution that holds your accounts will do the calculations and automatically send you the RMD to your bank or other accounts as you desire. And, yes, when you take distributions there may be taxes due.

It is a big deal. 50% penalty is a huge deal. Make no mistake on that. Also only if you tell them to start that will they do that. The article is meant for those who do not know that. We do have lots of new and soon to be retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucratic View Post
It shouldn't be a problem if you are in the Thrift Savings Plan. If you're taking monthly payments and it's not enough to meet the RMD for the year, in December the TSP will send you an additional amount to make up the difference.
It isnt just taking monthy payments. The total of tax exempt accounts are taken in account. Also most here are not like you and I and have TSP. Most have IRA's and 401K's in commercial accounts. If you have other accounts TSP cannot know the total so how can they do that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it actually is a combination of you and your spouses age that it is based on.

had I known that I would have tried the colleges looking for a wife.
I am with you but I guess we will just have to live with our choices, aye?

Last point here to both jr and B and anyone else thinking someone will do the work for you. They will not be liable for the amount owed. Do you really think they have your best interest at heart? Take heed here. This is so very important. Uncle Sam knows how much money you have in account. You have been making record of that as the institution your money is housed in to the IRS. They are looking at that as a source of income to come.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,529,269 times
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think it is a big deal to do. It would be a big deal if you didn't do it properly.

Example: You have 1, 2 or 5 accounts (IRA/401/TSP/whatever) and you are approaching age 70, contact each account manager if they haven't already contacted you and they will calculate your MRDs for each account. Calculations are set into stone as to factors of that time time, your (and spouse's if any) age/life expectancies, the amount, the current rules and laws; and you review/authorize the MRD calculations. IRD and accounts talk back and forth electronically, you get the appropriate tax documents for filing at tax time. circle squared. No one ever has your best interest at heart but you so read what you sign.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,945,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think it is a big deal to do. It would be a big deal if you didn't do it properly.

Example: You have 1, 2 or 5 accounts (IRA/401/TSP/whatever) and you are approaching age 70, contact each account manager if they haven't already contacted you and they will calculate your MRDs for each account. Calculations are set into stone as to factors of that time time, your (and spouse's if any) age/life expectancies, the amount, the current rules and laws; and you review/authorize the MRD calculations. IRD and accounts talk back and forth electronically, you get the appropriate tax documents for filing at tax time. circle squared. No one ever has your best interest at heart but you so read what you sign.
I think that is the point of the OP, that everyone should contact each account manager at each retirement account when they are approaching 70 to make sure that RMDs will be set up and on their way to the account holders. I guess that might be a problem for forgetful people or people who may have declining mental abilities or other health problems as they approach 70?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM

549 posts, read 436,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There almost certainly will be. This is the purpose of an RMD, yes? Nthing all other posters who suggest talking with financial institution/planner for advisement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or