Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:33 AM

97 posts, read 134,099 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to settle in in a year or so, but everywhere I look it seems that residents complain about high real estate prices, high taxes, crime, drug problems, etc. This is probably because I'm trying to find a more reasonably-priced area with, say, well-maintained condos or townhomes under 200K.

Here are my specific requirements: I love fall and winter, hate spring and summer (I especially hate heat and humidity, so places like Florida or the South are out and the desert is just too hot--I need four seasons, anyway), but consistent winter temperatures below zero, as in the upper Midwest or the Dakotas are off my list; I'm not a big city lover (I would choose the suburbs of a large city); wind is fine, but too much rain is not (I've heard that the rain in Oregon and Washington is more of a mist than a consistent downpour, which I think is O.K. (cloudy days on end don't bother me); I would love to live on a seacoast but it's just too unaffordable; I like artsy areas (Mendocino would be great, for example, but it's too pricey for what you get and ditto for Flagstaff/Sedona, for example); good hospitals; locals who welcome newcomers; low property taxes, etc.

I'm wondering about: Vancouver, WA; Bangor, ME (I've read about drug problems, crime, and unfriendly locals); Burlington, VT (I think it might be unaffordable); Bloomington, IN; Reno, NV area.

Anywhere else? General input would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
Have you looked at Colorado? Loveland or Estes Park? Or northern New Mexico? Taos or Santa Fe?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 AM

97 posts, read 134,099 times
CO for some reason bothers me and I can't say why (weird)! But Taos might be good and someone in another thread extolled upon Las Cruces. I've never been to either. I've been to Santa Fe and didn't care for it (too hot when I was there) and I've heard the prices have been going through the roof.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
Las cruces is further soth5 and at a lower elevation than Santa Fe, so much hotter in the summer. Further north into the mountains would be much cooler.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Look into Portland, Maine

Old 07-06-2014, 12:33 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
I'm looking for a place to settle in in a year or so, but everywhere I look it seems that residents complain about high real estate prices, high taxes, crime, drug problems, etc. This is probably because I'm trying to find a more reasonably-priced area with, say, well-maintained condos or townhomes under 200K.

Here are my specific requirements: I love fall and winter, hate spring and summer (I especially hate heat and humidity, so places like Florida or the South are out and the desert is just too hot--I need four seasons, anyway), but consistent winter temperatures below zero, as in the upper Midwest or the Dakotas are off my list; I'm not a big city lover (I would choose the suburbs of a large city); wind is fine, but too much rain is not (I've heard that the rain in Oregon and Washington is more of a mist than a consistent downpour, which I think is O.K. (cloudy days on end don't bother me); I would love to live on a seacoast but it's just too unaffordable; I like artsy areas (Mendocino would be great, for example, but it's too pricey for what you get and ditto for Flagstaff/Sedona, for example); good hospitals; locals who welcome newcomers; low property taxes, etc.

I'm wondering about: Vancouver, WA; Bangor, ME (I've read about drug problems, crime, and unfriendly locals); Burlington, VT (I think it might be unaffordable); Bloomington, IN; Reno, NV area.

Show Low / Pinetop / Lakeside area of AZ
Port Angeles / Sequim area of WA
Reno NV - would suggest Carson City instead.

Wind? Montana or Wyoming

Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Look into Portland, Maine
Nice choice, as is Brunswick Maine (home of Bowdoin College). Amtrak between both those places and Boston for when you want a bigger city experience.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM

720 posts, read 995,065 times
I was just going to suggest Portland, Maine too! We considered it for a while since it is a really lovely small city right on the water and pretty affordable. Great eateries, book stores, etc

We decided against it when we went up there in April and got snowed in.....we don't like snow.

It seems you would have the pick of places since most people are looking to get away from winter and the rush is on for moving south and west! Good luck!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post

You might consider Duluth, Minnesota. Sometimes, it does get hot and humid in Minnesota in the summer. However, Minnesota, has free air conditioning from Lake Superior. Lake Superior is a cold great lake, the water temperature is about 38 degrees year round. When it is in the upper 80s or 90s and humid in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, it is in the mid or upper 70s in Duluth. Duluth also has a very artsy community and beautiful water front parks and trails. However, it does get very cold in the winter, so it might not be acceptable.

I've visited Burlington, VT. My brother-in-law lived there for about a year. A lot of the houses were run down, not maintained. Many needed paint from 20 - 50 years ago. Many homes have poor insulation and single pane glass windows. They heat with oil and electricity.

You might check out Clear Lake, CA. The summer weather is fairly mild and they do have snow for about a month in the winters. However, the winters are pretty short. It might be far enough south to get out of the endless winter drizzle and rain in Oregon and Washington.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
I know you stated that you tend to rule out Colorado for unknown reasons, but it seems that it meets your criteria more closely than any other. Longmont, Co., is near Boulder, Co. and Denver, and a population of 86,000. It is also the home of Mr. Money Mustache (if you ever heard of him) He talks about it on one of his blogs, and has some pictures but need to find it. His mantra is saving money and living more within your means.

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Lots of articles written about him in every paper and even Forbes. Here's one from Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2761917.html

Now of course Boulder, Co. is not exactly cheap. This area is definitely more affordable and offers a lot of amenities though. I think sometimes in more upscale areas where real estate is expensive, you can sometimes find pockets of areas where you can pick up something affordable. Now it certainly will not be in the most expensive area of town, but also, it could also be a better bet than buying in a pricier part of town in a city not as desirable. In my way of thinking. Providing other amenities are in line (reasonable RE taxes, utilities, etc.) I would rather live in a less expensive part of town in an upscale city than vise verse.

Especially if you are in market for a townhouse, you will have more opportunities to find something more reasonable. Case in point. I purchased on older 1/2 of a duplex very cheap for my mother in an older less desirable area in an expensive town. I still own it because it's very cheap for me to keep, and yet has access to all the great things, shopping, schools, low crime etc. that the city offers. Just a suggestion.

If you prefer more greenery, than the Pikes Peak area may appeal to you. Incline Village, NV. is beautiful but you may be hard pressed to find something in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement