Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The cpi is a weighted price index and not a personal cost of living index. The cpi applys to no one in certain respects and everyone in other respects.

In fact no one owns a house in the index ,everyone is calculated as renting.

It was never meant to cover the cost of living increases in you personal life.

"You are SO WIGHT" - E. Fudd

Homeowners get the benefit of a COLA calculated as if they were renting (Owners' Equivalent Rent - OER) but homeowners don't have to cough up the OER money as do renters

e.g. say OER hypothetically increases 5 percent and CPI increases 3 percent...renters generally are going to pay up the wazoo while homeowners will experience little or no impact from thhe OER component of the CPI increase (homeowners might pay higher property taxes to the extent OER increase reflects property tax increases, but perhaps not because homeowners enjoy preferential property tax rates in many states)...hence renters will be socked much worse than homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The cpi is a weighted price index and not a personal cost of living index. The cpi applys to no one in certain respects and everyone in other respects.

In fact no one owns a house in the index ,everyone is calculated as renting.

It was never meant to cover the cost of living increases in you personal life.

"You are SO WIGHT" - E. Fudd

Homeowners enjoy the benefit of a a COLA based in part on rent increases without having to bear the costs of said rent increases

Renters have to pay up the wazoo.

e.g. OER component of CPI goes up 5 percent, aggregate cost to renters 5 percent, aggregate cost to homeowners minimal or negligible. (homeowners enjoy preferential property tax rates in many states, so property tax hikes reflected in rent increases might not even apply to homeowners)

Old 08-16-2014, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
cost of living:

homeowners +1.0%

renters + 4.0%

doncha love blended one-size-fits-all rates?
I don't know where in the heck you come up with some of the stuff you do and do you have any idea what the cola is really based on? I don't think so. Now as for homeowners versus renters: home owners also are responsible for maintaining property, fixing plumbing problems, paying taxes, etc. Renters have none of those financial outlay. Oh sure, your rent reflects some of this but certainly not all. Do you have any idea what it costs a home owner for say, a new roof, or a remodeling job on a kitchen or bathroom? What about upkeep on yards, water bills, plumbing, etc. Are you telling me you get stuck with those bills? If you are, I have a surprise for you...

Old 08-16-2014, 02:21 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Since no one owns and everyone rents in the cpi index ownership does not play apart.

With housing costs out weighing all other components rent increases country wide are still fairly low. Some areas are higher but overall the component is quite tame.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know where in the heck you come up with some of the stuff you do and do you have any idea what the cola is really based on? I don't think so. Now as for homeowners versus renters: home owners also are responsible for maintaining property, fixing plumbing problems, paying taxes, etc. Renters have none of those financial outlay. Oh sure, your rent reflects some of this but certainly not all. Do you have any idea what it costs a home owner for say, a new roof, or a remodeling job on a kitchen or bathroom? What about upkeep on yards, water bills, plumbing, etc. Are you telling me you get stuck with those bills? If you are, I have a surprise for you...

Apparently you seem to believe that renters magically escape costs of maintenance, property taxes (higher than owner-occ taxes) and stuff like that.

I pay more to rent a ROOM than my next door neighbors spend to own a HOUSE.

And yes, I pay the water bill, as well as the electric bill and the gas bill.

Last edited by freemkt; 08-16-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Actually as a landlord of 26 years , renters do escape most expenses. Landlords can only charge what the market allows them to get. 6k for a roof ,the markets couldn't care less. 5k for a new furnase? To bad.

You have a mortgage on your rental and the next guy doesn't, to bad not one buck extra. I wish i could just pass my expenses on.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-16-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Since no one owns and everyone rents in the cpi index ownership does not play apart.

With housing costs out weighing all other components rent increases country wide are still fairly low. Some areas are higher but overall the component is quite tame.

Everyone gets the 'benefit' of a CPI-driven COLA increase, but only renters bear the COST because they are the only ones actually paying RENT. The "fairly low" country wide rent increases are meaningless to a renter when local rents are going up 8-10 percent a year.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Actually as a landlord of 26 years , renters do escape most expenses. Landlords can only charge what the market allows them to get. 6k for a roof ,the markets couldn't care less. 5k for a new furnas? To bad.

Youchave a mortgage on your rental and the next guy doen't, to bad not one buck extra. I wish i could just pass my expenses on.

My landlord personally reroofed the house in two days, cash outlay equal to cost of materials. I'm paying $500 a month to rent a room. What's that work out to, $4 per square foot? EEK indeed.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Which goes back to what i said. The cpi is only a price comparison index not a cost of living index which reflects your personal inflation rate.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My landlord personally reroofed the house in two days, cash outlay equal to cost of materials. I'm paying $500 a month to rent a room. What's that work out to, $4 per square foot? EEK indeed.
It is called return on investment. That is how people earn their income. It is based on tying up the money and expenses. It aint all profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement