Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: *****Best and most affordable place to retire to
Grayson, KY 1 2.22%
Berea, KY 1 2.22%
Harrison AR 2 4.44%
Fayettville AR 4 8.89%
Branson MO 4 8.89%
Traverse City MI 2 4.44%
Murray, KY 2 4.44%
Chattanooga, TN 12 26.67%
Dunellon, FL 3 6.67%
Stuart, FL 8 17.78%
Huntington, WV 1 2.22%
Charleston, WV 0 0%
Bloomington, IN 5 11.11%
Inverness, FL 4 8.89%
Saint Cloud MN 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

Florida is the best choice, in my humble opinion. But I only know St. Petersburg and Tampa because my aunt lived there with her relatives. Many retirees lives in Florida, and there you may find small town in best climate (subtropical). I vote for Stuart and Inverness, FL. Stuart is bigger and placed on east coast, and Inverness is smaller and placed on the west coast of Florida - and Inverness placed off open Atlantic ocean unlike Stuart. Open Atlactic can cause big storms etc. This is important particularity. And if you prefer sunset against sunrise, you may live on the west coast.

Last edited by Perseval; 08-14-2014 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
MN and IN will be too cold for avoiding the north dakota style winter.

I selected Chattanooga because the costs are reasonable and the weather is actually fairly nice. I've seen too many horror stories with people moving to Florida. Ironically several of the cities you mentioned, such as Bend, OR and Boise, ID, were on my initial list when I was deciding where to move. Have you looked at Colorado and New Mexico? Since you specifically listed states that were mountain cities for their respective states (okay, most of Idaho is at elevation, and much higher than boise, but there aren't many other real cities in the state).

In Colorado Springs or Pueblo for Colorado, or around Albuquerque for New Mexico, there are plenty of wonderful houses for well under 240k. I bought a house for about 225k that is slightly over 2500 square feet with a fantastic view of the mountains. Not a huge lot size, but I didn't want to have to commute in too far for work every day so the suburbs were a fine place for me. Colorado Springs, by the way, is the birth place of libertarianism.

You also mentioned perferring the west coast. Generally speaking, especially with any mountain type locations, the small cities (under 50k people) have expensive real estate because there are no economies of scale. One option that is kind of cold, but not as bad as North Dakota would be Spokane. I wasn't very familiar with their housing market but a quick glance suggests you might find the kind of property you're looking for in the right price range. Here's a few I found in 2-3 minutes:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...l_PhotoGallery

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-59906?row=21

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6-72243?row=29

Not sure if you were only interested in new properties on five plus acres, but I figured it was worth a glance if you wanted to stay west coast. Out of your options, I easily like Chatanooga best.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Having grown up in MN, I can tell you that St Cloud is very nice, but also brutally cold in winter. Many of your other locations in Appalachia I would associate with the troubles of that region (poverty in KY and the highest rates of obesity and diabetes in WV), not to mention your stated aversion to attitudes of the Deep South.

I chose Bloomington, IN for you. Although much of IN is flat, the area around Bloomington is very hilly and picturesque. The people in Indiana are the friendliest I have ever encountered. Somewhat conservative, but the libertarian attitude should be well accepted, especially in Bloomington which is a college town. Climate is warn humid summer and mild winters. Beautiful in spring and fall. Not too far to drive to Indianapolis if you want to take in a sporting or cultural event.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Everybody likes to blame everything on Californians. So silly.

You can find what you want right here in CA. Look around Redding, Crescent City, lots of options.

The entire state does not have LA or SF pricing.

And you will have to pay taxes based on the original sale price of your home, but it won't go up more than around 2%/year as long as you own it.

But, if you want to pay NO taxes, based on your list, and not wanting to deal with a cold winter, I would choose FL. I lived in TN for 5 years and the winters were very cold and icy. While I was living in the Nashville/Franklin area, it was not uncommon for temps to go below zero. And it's a wet cold, so the roads get very icy. It's very common for people to just abandon their vehicles on the roads because it gets too treacherous to drive.

So, TN might not be as brutal as the Dakotas in the winter, but it's no picnic.

The best winter option is FL, IMO, from your list.

But, I still think you should revisit moving to an inexpensive, yet beautiful area of CA.

I did a search for properties within 20 miles of Redding, CA with either a SFH or mobile on 5+ acres with max $250,000 price tag. I think you should check it out:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0/ofbm-10?ml=4

Too hot in Redding? How about the redwoods around Crescent City?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...250000/ofbm-10

Lots more options than just those two, too.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Dunellon. We looked there for a year. My neighbors loved it there. Not sure if Stuart is in Alachua county but if it is, forget it, the taxes are awful.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Can't vote.

I wouldn't live in any of them.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Harrison AR is the national headquarters for the KKK. That may or may not be important to the OP, but it's worth mentioning.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Looking at a place that has:

Affordable homes for sale, under 240k, with some acreage

Low crime

Some pretty nature

Low utilities and low property taxes

Friendly people who are welcoming and not clannish

Any kind of weather but not North Dakota cold

Thanks for help...open to suggestions as well.....

Got some places on my poll...please select one thanks
None of the above.....My pick is anywhere in the Hill country of Texas.....
If you don't live in Texas.....well, you're just campin out...!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM

363 posts, read 439,778 times
Default Charleston, SC

I wouldn't consider any of those places myself, but I like your list of requirements. You asked for suggestions too, so may I suggest the Charleston, SC area? We are from the Midwest (Illinois) and that is where we're heading in another year or so, God willing. I don't think anyone is still fighting the Civil War down there, but it WAS a big part of local (and, obviously, American) history and you know what they say about people who ignore history...Well, I happen to be a history buff who loves hot weather and is willing to pay a little more (or give up a bigger home) to live closer to the beach.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 08-14-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: correct punctuation

Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM

59 posts, read 85,121 times
This Minnesotan moved from Minnesota to the Ozarks of north Arkansas 2 years ago and am very satisfied with my decision.

Other places on your list that I am confident would have worked for me would be Chattanooga TN, Murray KY, Berea KY.

key words being.........." for me "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement