U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: *****Best and most affordable place to retire to
Grayson, KY 1 2.22%
Berea, KY 1 2.22%
Harrison AR 2 4.44%
Fayettville AR 4 8.89%
Branson MO 4 8.89%
Traverse City MI 2 4.44%
Murray, KY 2 4.44%
Chattanooga, TN 12 26.67%
Dunellon, FL 3 6.67%
Stuart, FL 8 17.78%
Huntington, WV 1 2.22%
Charleston, WV 0 0%
Bloomington, IN 5 11.11%
Inverness, FL 4 8.89%
Saint Cloud MN 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 AM

852 posts, read 1,820,868 times

Advertisements

Another poster had suggested ABQ, NM and I think it checks all your boxes and would be a good fit based on your criteria. Here is your OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Looking at a place that has:

Affordable homes for sale, under 240k, with some acreage - YES but half hour outside city

Low crime- YES but again somewhat outside city in neighboring town

Some pretty nature - DEFINETLY

Low utilities and low property taxes - IT'S ONE OF THE STATES YOU WON'T PAY ANY PROP TAXES. AND BC OF ITS MILD YEARROUND CLIMATE HEATING AND COOLING BILLS SHOULD BE LOW

Friendly people who are welcoming and not clannish - NOT SURE ON THIS ONE

Any kind of weather but not North Dakota cold - GREAT YEARROUND CLIMATE NO TORNADOS NO HURRICANES LITTLE SNOW LITTLE RAIN LOTS OF SUNSHINE

VA HOSPITAL IN TOWN

Thanks for help...open to suggestions as well.....

Got some places on my poll...please select one thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 07:56 AM
JRR

3,687 posts, read 2,233,446 times
MY two cents on the South. You might not want to dismiss it out of hand due to the image of "Still fighting the Civil War". I lived in Ft Mill, South Carolina for 4 years 1977-1981 and never once was there any feeling of not being wanted there. My Ohio born & raised wife even worked at a textile mill there as a spinner when she couldn't get a job in her field of journalism and after a brief period of "why are you working here?" she was accepted just like anyone else.

We just got back from a week in Cookeville TN and met and talked with people who had moved there from Florida, Texas, California and Michigan as well as people who had lived there all their lives. Everyone who had come from other states had nothing but good things to say about the reception they got when they moved there and how much they liked the people.

It seems like the South has an image, probably from movies and TV, that it is populated by people who are uneducated, clannish and suspicious of anyone from out of town, especially from the North. And there places that are like that, especially in small towns. But I also could go to upstate NY where I was born and find the same type of small towns.

For the most part, the South of 50 years ago is not the same as the South of today.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 PM

7,954 posts, read 5,060,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
MY two cents on the South. You might not want to dismiss it out of hand due to the image of "Still fighting the Civil War"....
JRR has a point. The South is more sophisticated and more variegated than the stereotypes would imply. In fact I'd argue that parochialism and anti-intellectualism are more the hallmarks of rural communities and small-towns anywhere, than of entire regions of the country. Atlanta is more pluralistic and more cosmopolitan than rural western Massachusetts. However, the South, Appalachia, the Midwest and the Plains are more rural, in general, than the Coasts. In regions where one city's outlying suburbs blend into the next city's suburbs, there really is never a sufficiently low concentration of population to breed the sort of benightedness that we stereotypically associated with "The South". But in regions where big cities are far apart, and smaller cities (say, under 200K) proliferate, it is easy for outlying communities to become isolated, culturally and socially.

So the more accurate advice would be to avoid regions of low population density, and especially regions too far from a major city. This unfortunately contradicts the OP's desire for low housing prices. But what about places like Dallas-Ft. Worth? Housing prices are very reasonable, they the urban amenities abound.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:19 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,162,993 times
yes I am not ruling out the south, I been there, a few different states over time, I just am so used to the western libertarian mindset, that I been afraid to venture away from that mindset and ethos. Texas seems to flat, brown, and dusty and hot and large for my taste. At least around the larger cities, hard to go from the green, lush beauty of Seattle to the flat, brown, open plains of Texas it would seem.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,215,137 times
I agree with JRR and Ohio_peasant. Chattanooga may be further down your short list for legitimate reasons (like climate), but parochialism and unfriendliness shouldn't be things you're concerned about.

We moved to Nashville (Franklin) from Metro Detroit 3 years ago. We're from an even larger northern city originally, so Detroit was not home for us. I have never felt any kind of an unwelcoming, unfriendly vibe here. Not ever. In fact, I'd say that people here are far more open, outgoing and accepting than I ever found them to be in the wealthy, educated, "progressive" suburbs of Detroit.

Bear in mind, too, that in Metro Nashville at least, there are many transplants from all over the country who bring positive (and not so positive) influences with them. Any rude or unfriendly people I've encountered here (and they're very rare) have been, quite honestly, from the north or the west.

I've been to Chattanooga a few times and like it, and I think it's possible that Chattanooga could be changing in ways similar to Nashville. I'll put it to you this way: I grew up in a large, VERY diverse, progressive city, and I think I could happily live in Chattanooga.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,162,993 times
I will never consider Chattanooga, TN, after more research.

Rash of Chattanooga shootings breaks the calm | Times Free Press

Old 08-18-2014, 02:18 AM

5,278 posts, read 3,009,817 times
Why not Washington or Alaska?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I will never consider Chattanooga, TN, after more research.

Rash of Chattanooga shootings breaks the calm | Times Free Press

Sorry to hear that you would not consider Chattanooga. Although I do not live there I am considering the area. Central TN is a very nice place to retire to. I have been to Nashville and liked that well enough. I think several people have the same feeling. Almost 2 to one here seem to think TN worth considering over others. That bodes well for our decision as well. In most searches I have done it has many of the items we are looking for in our retirement. In my life I have seen rashes of unrest in many places. I do not think that the trouble spoken of in the "Times Free Press" is anything special. It can happen anywhere with a very large and mixed society.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,215,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Sorry to hear that you would not consider Chattanooga. Although I do not live there I am considering the area. Central TN is a very nice place to retire to. I have been to Nashville and liked that well enough. I think several people have the same feeling. Almost 2 to one here seem to think TN worth considering over others. That bodes well for our decision as well. In most searches I have done it has many of the items we are looking for in our retirement. In my life I have seen rashes of unrest in many places. I do not think that the trouble spoken of in the "Times Free Press" is anything special. It can happen anywhere with a very large and mixed society.
Exactly.

OP, I can understand your concern regarding those shootings.

But - and I'm not trying to be dismissive in any way when I ask this - IS there any place in the country that guarantees NO random gun violence?

Overall, I think Chattanooga is a very safe place.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 AM

49 posts, read 61,477 times
I personally would not want to retire to Chattanooga however Tennessee is full of nice towns with low living expenses and friendly down to earth people. Cookeville was mentioned in an earlier post and I know the Crossville area has attracted a number of retirees. Tennessee has a four season climate and the countryside is lush and green. That is something I missed when I visited the western states. The winters are cloudy but probably not more so than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement