U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: *****Best and most affordable place to retire to
Grayson, KY 1 2.22%
Berea, KY 1 2.22%
Harrison AR 2 4.44%
Fayettville AR 4 8.89%
Branson MO 4 8.89%
Traverse City MI 2 4.44%
Murray, KY 2 4.44%
Chattanooga, TN 12 26.67%
Dunellon, FL 3 6.67%
Stuart, FL 8 17.78%
Huntington, WV 1 2.22%
Charleston, WV 0 0%
Bloomington, IN 5 11.11%
Inverness, FL 4 8.89%
Saint Cloud MN 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 24 days ago)

10,509 posts, read 14,339,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
....and some of those states are still fighting the Civil War and I really don't want anything to do with that mentality..... I am nervous about some of these locations on my pole because I read on CD so much hate for Northerners from Southern States......
If you honestly believe those stereotypes about the south then your best bet is not to move there, but that would be along the same lines as me believing the stereotype that CA is full of fruitckaes and losers, eh?
Paris TN is small and very nice, but muggy in the summer and somewhat isolated.
Please research crime reporting methods before dismissing TN as too crime ridden, the results might surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 AM

4,489 posts, read 4,748,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Why not Washington or Alaska?

Yeah, like maybe extreme northern Alaska.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,158,874 times
Just my opinion and view, but Chattanooga does not sound like my cup of sea as there seems to be to much inner city crime there. As well, I really don't think southerners have much love for Yankees. Been on a few websites where they consider Yankees as foreign Invaders. I just feel there it too much disdain in the south for northerners, and feel it would be risky moving there. And yes, I have researched crime stats on Neighbor scout, Chattanooga has a 5 out of 100, a 100 being the safest. I am sure that I would get treated much better up in Northern Extreme Alaska by the way. Paris TN has a 5 our of 100, 100 being the safest. I am not ruling out certain parts of the south though.

http://southernnationalist.com/blog/...lues-to-state/

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3185808AAU8Xwe

http://www.experienceproject.com/sto...I-Live/1769099

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 08-18-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,852,811 times
Quote:
Chattanooga does not sound like my cup of sea as there seems to be to much inner city crime there, and I will avoid those places like the plague in my retirement, and will move up to the north woods of Maine if I have to, just to be somewhere not blighted with bad, and rather dangerous, inner city areas. As well, I really don't think southerners have much love for Yankees. Been on a few websites where they consider Yankees as foreign Invaders. I just feel there it too much disdain in the south for northerners, and feel it would be risky moving there, even though that is where all the low taxes and cheap real estate is. I read this too many times. Just my opinion and my view. And the yes, I have researched crime stats on Neighbor scout, Chattanooga has a 5 out of 100, a 100 being the safest.

Okay so you are now deciding to move to upstate Maine? Since you were the OP asking about all these southern locations it would seem that you now have changed your mind. As for the stat of 5 out of a 100 stat sounds very dubious to me. Even in the Free Press article you posted it would seem that it is the inner city kids with nothing better to do. If you do not look like another teenager then you should be safe enough. As for how "southerners" act and react towards "yankees" I can tell you I have not found that to be the case. I have enjoyed a number of trips to southern states like AR TN SC NC MS LA OK IA OH VA WV GA AL FL all of which I have spent more then just a day or two.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM

I am going on what I have read from other transplants also, here on CD....on various threads and it caused me to dig deeper to do further research. Maybe taking a trip is one thing, but actually living there could be another thing. As a west coast libertarian, I just don't believe that spirit exists in much of the south, maybe in pockets. This is what I am concluding from what I been reading. If one is a southerner, I would ask how do you feel about all the Yankees moving into your home town?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM
JRR

3,685 posts, read 2,229,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Okay so you are now deciding to move to upstate Maine? Since you were the OP asking about all these southern locations it would seem that you now have changed your mind. As for the stat of 5 out of a 100 stat sounds very dubious to me. Even in the Free Press article you posted it would seem that it is the inner city kids with nothing better to do. If you do not look like another teenager then you should be safe enough. As for how "southerners" act and react towards "yankees" I can tell you I have not found that to be the case. I have enjoyed a number of trips to southern states like AR TN SC NC MS LA OK IA OH VA WV GA AL FL all of which I have spent more then just a day or two.
I think this is a bit of a lost cause. Time to move on and quit trying to help with information. Not sure why anywhere in the South was even mentioned if there is a preconceived notion already in place.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM

I agree shut er on done...... I am going to attempt to remain on the West Coast anyway where I belong..... thanks for the feedback anyway.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 24 days ago)

10,509 posts, read 14,339,746 times
Quote:
I agree shut er on done...... I am going to attempt to remain on the West Coast anyway where I belong..... thanks for the feedback anyway.
Apparently you're going to believe what you want to believe, but in spite of that I'm going to try one last piece of advice. Try to learn to really research instead of just taking opinions of whatever junk articles you happen to read at face value.
My earlier post said to look into crime reporting METHODS, not stupid, pointless crime scores. There is a huge difference between the two things and the FBI says on their own website not to read too much into city and state comparisons because reporting methods vary wildly.
Posted by a former yankee who fits just fine in the south (and btw coming from the west you would not be considered a yankee, fwiw)

Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,210,620 times
Quote:
Just my opinion and view, but Chattanooga does not sound like my cup of sea as there seems to be to much inner city crime there. As well, I really don't think southerners have much love for Yankees. Been on a few websites where they consider Yankees as foreign Invaders. I just feel there it too much disdain in the south for northerners, and feel it would be risky moving there. And yes, I have researched crime stats on Neighbor scout, Chattanooga has a 5 out of 100, a 100 being the safest. I am sure that I would get treated much better up in Northern Extreme Alaska by the way. Paris TN has a 5 our of 100, 100 being the safest. I am not ruling out certain parts of the south though.

Yankee transplants deluge NC, bring alien values | Southern Nationalist Network

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3185808AAU8Xwe

South Carolina- #1 Worst State. : I Hate Where I Live Story & Experience
starrider, do what you feel is best for you.

But next time you decide to do "research," at least consult some reasonably authoritative, reputable sources. It's kind of a waste of time to base an important decision on the "information" presented in sites like these and others you linked to. More importantly, you do yourself a disservice to not arm yourself with reliable data.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:44 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,528,456 times
Quote:
In Oregon, some of the small towns between Eugene and Salem are supposed to be less expensive and are in the green Willamette Valley. One of the regular Oregon CD posters lives in Dallas outside Salem and likes it. Albany and Springfield are larger, less expensive towns. Tillamook is near the coast but inland. Astoria and some of the coastal towns starting at Newport and going south may be more affordable options, Port Orford, Coos Bay, Bandon, Brookings. Some of the coastal towns have higher crime e.g., Coos Bay. All of these places had 2-4 homes on Zillow in your price range with an acre of land so selection is limited. Roseburg and Grants Pass are probably too hot for your taste (temps have been in low to high 90s last two months) and Klamath Falls is rather isolated. There is no sales tax in Oregon. I'm planning to retire in Bend so sort of follow the Oregon CD board as am interested in learning about the state. Have been down the coast several times and spent a little time in the Willamette Valley but don't have detailed knowledge of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement