U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: *****Best and most affordable place to retire to
Grayson, KY 1 2.22%
Berea, KY 1 2.22%
Harrison AR 2 4.44%
Fayettville AR 4 8.89%
Branson MO 4 8.89%
Traverse City MI 2 4.44%
Murray, KY 2 4.44%
Chattanooga, TN 12 26.67%
Dunellon, FL 3 6.67%
Stuart, FL 8 17.78%
Huntington, WV 1 2.22%
Charleston, WV 0 0%
Bloomington, IN 5 11.11%
Inverness, FL 4 8.89%
Saint Cloud MN 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:06 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,163,903 times

Advertisements

Looking at a place that has:

Affordable homes for sale, under 240k, with some acreage

Low crime

Some pretty nature

Low utilities and low property taxes

Friendly people who are welcoming and not clannish

Any kind of weather but not North Dakota cold

Thanks for help...open to suggestions as well.....

Got some places on my poll...please select one thanks

Last edited by Marka; 08-14-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 PM

59 posts, read 66,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Looking at a place that has:

Affordable homes for sale, under 240k, with some acreage

Low crime

Some pretty nature

Low utilities and low property taxes

Friendly people who are welcoming and not clannish

Any kind of weather but not North Dakota cold

Thanks for help...open to suggestions as well.....

Got some places on my poll...please select one thanks

........."Any kind of weather but not North Dakota cold".......

yet you have St Cloud MN on your list ?

I lived 30 miles from St Cloud for 66 years and relocated to the Ozarks upon retiring 2 years ago.

Brutal winters was the main reason !

Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 PM

yeah there are a lot of affordable homes with acreage around st. Cloud over by Zimmerman and Princeton..... and e.t.c...... that was my concern was the freezing cold temperatures of north central Minnesota. I've been looking pretty closely at Northwest Arkansas and at Branson Missouri as well I have visited that area for about a year ago and liked it. what scared me away to be honest was tornado factor in Missouri and Arkansas.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 PM

971 posts, read 1,190,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
yeah there are a lot of affordable homes with acreage around st. Cloud over by Zimmerman and Princeton..... and e.t.c...... that was my concern was the freezing cold temperatures of north central Minnesota. I've been looking pretty closely at Northwest Arkansas and at Branson Missouri as well I have visited that area for about a year ago and liked it. what scared me away to be honest was tornado factor in Missouri and Arkansas.
I have lived within 24 miles of Branson for 79 years and have only seen one tornado in all that time. It is true however that Barnson has seen two tornados in the past 79 years. Not a bad average.

Ya'all come on.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM

I think the areas closer to NWA are at higher risk then Branson. Most of the places I have listed on the poll have more affordable housing markets and are more rural and smallish areas which I prefer. The smaller areas out west here like Boise and N Idaho and Missoula, Bend OR, ...and etc.. have become too expensive over recent years.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 PM

39,585 posts, read 47,836,774 times
St Cloud, as nice as it is, does not fit your requirements. Weather and cost of living are much worse or higher than the southern areas.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 AM

I get a tax exemption being a 100 percent disabled vet, and in MN, as in about 8 other states, I would pay zero property taxes, hence one reason for looking at MN...MN gives disabled vets a break on up to 300k of a homes assessed value, which means if I bought a home for 250k, I would be under the 300k limit, and get a full 100 percent property tax break in MN...AR, OK, MI, IA, NJ, FL, TX, NM, all give 100 PT vets a full 100 percent property tax break. Every state has different amounts and exemptions. Some are very very generous, like the ones above.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,858,884 times
The list is aweful short. I think the list would have been better served had they not included specific cities. Counties might have been better or just states.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:48 AM

this list has locations where homes are priced well under 240 K and are newish homes with nice square footage nice updates and acreage and their areas which contain homes which are in my price range are lower still permitting me to own a nice quality home with acreage..... opposed to places like Boise Idaho Bend Oregon Missoula Montana Post Falls Idaho......which where some of my first choices but I cannot move to these places due to the migration of Californians who have jacked up all the real estate prices out here on the West Coast... therefore I am forced to look around tornado country in the Midwest and in the south where the homes are much more affordable yet retain high quality with granite countertops acreage nice square footage and e.t.c. So in conclusion I can buy a 2000 built home with over 2000 square feet on 5 acres in Kentucky for under 2 40 K that would buy me a junker that is a fixer upper that is a junker that looks like crap and is tiny on hardly any land here in western Washington or in western Oregon. even smaller cities that were once affordable such as Boise Idaho & Coeur d'Alene Idaho and Missoula, all have real estate prices that are above my budget making it impossible for me to remain out here in the West Coast and keeping a low mortgage payment at the same time. this I believe has resulted from the mass migration of the Californians into such places.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 AM

I have checked real estate thoroughly from months in the locations on my pole and they all would afford me a nice high quality house with acreage for my price range. I did not attach on other places located in the deep south due to the cultural differences between a West Coast libertarian and a southerner, As I am a libertarian and more of a live and let live person and I have become accustomed and used to that after living out in the Northwest for so many years so I am hesitant about any southern state to be honest but there is a lot of affordability in the south, let's be honest..... and some of those states are still fighting the Civil War and I really don't want anything to do with that mentality, but that is where the cheap real estate is and where the more affordable higher quality homes are in my price range. I personally would rather remain out here on the West Coast where it is Familiar and where it is more libertarian, but I am unable to do so due to the housing budget that I possess. so I had to expand my horizons and consider taking a risk living in places that are not my first choices deep in my heart. I am nervous about some of these locations on my pole because I read on CD so much hate for Northerners from Southern States. but I may have to take the plunge and take the risk in the end, so I can own a nice home on a nice piece of land and a rural area and live in peace.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 08-14-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement