U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,673,946 times

Advertisements

Publix customer service is great. Imagine my surprise the first time I asked where an item was and the employee stocking the shelves stopped what he was doing and walked me over to the item. Their policy is to do that and never point and tell you where to go. I realize this is scripted behavior but it's how a store should be managed.

They have baggers for packing the groceries and always ask if I want assistance taking them and loading them into my car. Many of the cashiers and baggers are retirees, so I always refused help out to my car. These employees are way older than I am, I didn't want them helping me. One day this elderly employee basically commandeered my grocery cart and on the way out sternly told me I should accept the offer so the employees get a break outside. Too funny and I'm sure totally off script.

I hope other stores catch onto this management style.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-16-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:24 AM

367 posts, read 399,462 times
...Plus their deli/subs/fried chicken are awesome

Old 08-16-2014, 02:18 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
They have baggers for packing the groceries and always ask if I want assistance taking them and loading them into my car. Many of the cashiers and baggers are retirees, so I always refused help out to my car. These employees are way older than I am, I didn't want them helping me. One day this elderly employee basically commandeered my grocery cart and on the way out sternly told me I should accept the offer so the employees get a break outside. Too funny and I'm sure totally off script.
Oh, this just hit my funny bone.
Next time I'm asked, I think I'll ask if they really want to go outside

Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,629,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
When I shop at Publix and pass an employee, they smile and ask if I am finding everything I need.

When I shop at Walmart and pass an employee, they don't make eye contact.

It's just a different mind-set at Publix.

Yes, I agree this little act of kindness was overblown.
Can't say I've ever hopped Publix but I've had many Walmart employees go out of their way to help me~ I think you went out of your way to run down a company that is really a good place to shop ~ and they match the advertised prices from their competitors, just show the ads.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:30 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,837,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Publix has something special in their selection and training of people. Whatever they do and however they do it Publix is great.
I absolutely agree! I could never figure out what the big thing was about Publix. I live in northern SC and all the retirees that moved here from FL kept going on and on. Well, we got one just up the road from us and I found out in a hurry what it was all about. Clean, bright and uncluttered store, great produce, virtually never out of sale items (unlike Harris Teeter), and if the shelf is bare you just ask someone and they will go find some for you if they can! The employees are the most friendly people in any store (matched pretty much only by Chik-Fil-A). I temporarily have to use a cane to walk and not only do they insist on emptying my cart and taking the groceries to my car, but they match their pace with mine conversing the whole time. At Teeter I pretty much get the attitude that well, they'll help me if they HAVE to, but are happy to let me manage on my own. Last week hubby stopped the general manager and told him that even though we could go to Teeter in our golf cart, instead we get in the car and drive to Publix, so keep doing what they're doing!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I absolutely agree! I could never figure out what the big thing was about Publix. I live in northern SC and all the retirees that moved here from FL kept going on and on. Well, we got one just up the road from us and I found out in a hurry what it was all about. Clean, bright and uncluttered store, great produce, virtually never out of sale items (unlike Harris Teeter), and if the shelf is bare you just ask someone and they will go find some for you if they can! The employees are the most friendly people in any store (matched pretty much only by Chik-Fil-A). I temporarily have to use a cane to walk and not only do they insist on emptying my cart and taking the groceries to my car, but they match their pace with mine conversing the whole time. At Teeter I pretty much get the attitude that well, they'll help me if they HAVE to, but are happy to let me manage on my own. Last week hubby stopped the general manager and told him that even though we could go to Teeter in our golf cart, instead we get in the car and drive to Publix, so keep doing what they're doing!
Yes you have to shop there to see the difference. We moved and for about a year shopped at a very convenient food store. All our neighbors said to try Publix. We did and have not gone back to the other store.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM

8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Yes you have to shop there to see the difference. We moved and for about a year shopped at a very convenient food store. All our neighbors said to try Publix. We did and have not gone back to the other store.
And some of us are fortunate to have Publix as a very convenient food store. We have one fewer than 3 blocks from our condo on Miami Beach. My wife or I walk over there about 3-4 times a week to pick up a few fresh items at a time to use to prepare that day's or the next day's meals.

Very European.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 PM

177 posts, read 194,373 times
Publix was my first job with a paycheck in the 1970's when I was 15, bagging groceries at a now closed store near the Ormond store. They have a very thorough training program for all departments and were closed on Sundays still at that point, until the founder died. They had a few older (special needs types bag men - sorry don't know a better way to say it) There was one back then that was mid 30's. Fast forward to 2013 and me at 51 was in the same town but going to a different Publix to pick up something for my father and who did I see providing the same high level of customer service bagging groceries? The now in his 70's bag man from my youth.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:55 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,837,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
As a follow-up, I went to Harris Teeter yesterday just because I only needed a couple of things and they had a good deal on them. It's Sunday about 4pm and the store was really busy, yet only had about 4 registers open with lines of 3-4 people each. I finally get up to the register and the girl practically throws everything in my reusable bags, shoves them in the cart and pushes the cart into the aisle and goes to the next person. Remember, I walk with a cane and yesterday was hobbled up pretty good. There were at least 3 guys wondering around from the service desk, and 2 women at the desk, and not one of them was helping to bag or willing to open another register, or helping anyone out at all. Yes, I suppose I could have asked for help, but by that time I was tired, hurting, and very annoyed about them being out of stuff (very typical for HT). I limped out to my car, which was luckily in a handicapped spot, and dragged everything out into my car. I then ran into the first courteous person there, and that was a woman and her son coming to the store who offered to take my cart for me so I didn't have to walk across the parking lot to put it away. I should have known better than to not go to Publix. Won't make that mistake again.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM

10,137 posts, read 12,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
When I shop at Publix and pass an employee, they smile and ask if I am finding everything I need.

When I shop at Walmart and pass an employee, they don't make eye contact.

It's just a different mind-set at Publix.

Yes, I agree this little act of kindness was overblown.
Instead of shopping at Sam's Club we purchase big non consumables (toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste etc) through Amazon using my prime account for free shipping. For food we shop Publix.

I would go hungry before shopping Wal·Mart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement