Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM

3,576 posts, read 4,497,795 times

Advertisements

My BH is an incredible back seat driver.
I guess I must be deaf, dumb and blind.
At home I'm always hearing ' turn the light out' AND I haven't left the bathroom yet.
Does your spouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Yep. But it is a lot more than telling me to turn out the light (that one he would never mention as he doesn't know lights have OFF switches).

He was writing up a list of instructions for what I was to accomplish daily.

If you can imagine . . .

And remember, I still work from home.

Operative word: "was" . . . I took that list and shredded it and told him to go hire a secretary, housekeeper, nurse and landscaper, lol.

He also gave me a schedule of when he wanted his food plated and on the table. Oh yes. He did that. He also made out a weekly menu of what he wanted, as in . . . every Monday is chicken night, every Tuesday is spaghetti and sauce night, every Wed. is pork chop night, etc.

He also said if I didn't comply, he was going to embarrass me in front of my parents and my children.

As if I would be embarrassed about not being a Stepford Wife, lolololol.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
He also gave me a schedule of when he wanted his food plated and on the table. Oh yes. He did that. He also made out a weekly menu of what he wanted, as in . . . every Monday is chicken night, every Tuesday is spaghetti and sauce night, every Wed. is pork chop night, etc.

He also said if I didn't comply, he was going to embarrass me in front of my parents and my children.
I hope you're kidding. Wouldn't take me long to pack.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Yep. But it is a lot more than telling me to turn out the light (that one he would never mention as he doesn't know lights have OFF switches).

If you can imagine . . .

Operative word: "was" . . . I took that list and shredded it and told him to go hire a secretary, housekeeper, nurse and landscaper, lol.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threaten to divorce him and tell him you're taking 1/2 of everything plus you have you bill ready for all your past duties: caretaker, psychoanalyst, decorator, cook, personal assistant, designer, contractor, housekeeper~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

The next time he opened his mouth he's have a sock stuffed in it.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I hope you're kidding. Wouldn't take me long to pack.
No, I am not kidding.

Trust me, I was ready to pack and not only that - throw his stuff on the front lawn.

However, he is not well . . . and his meds are making this worse (plus his own frustration post-surgery).

In a way, I am packing. Gonna send him to the mountain house as soon as I can convince him to go enjoy the rest of the summer there.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threaten to divorce him and tell him you're taking 1/2 of everything plus you have you bill ready for all your past duties: caretaker, psychoanalyst, decorator, cook, personal assistant, designer, contractor, housekeeper~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

The next time he opened his mouth he's have a sock stuffed in it.
Now there's a thought, lol.

Dirty socks would be more effective than clean ones, I would think.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM

14,890 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:

If you can imagine . . .

Wow, Ani, you said he was controlling but this is ( maybe was?) over the top!

I remember your saying his was a controlling personality that he'd used for years in his corporate leadership positions, and he unleashed it there at home after illness forced him to retire- not that knowing where it comes from makes it better for you. It sounds like you told him basically to "put a sock in it, buddy"! Is he anywhere close to getting the idea yet, or has he backed off at least somewhat, yet?

I also had to LOLOL at your comments about your husband not knowing that lights have off switches- I totally identify, but my husband doesn't know that TVs ( or remotes) have off switches either. Funny he knows all about the other buttons on the remote because he uses those to flip, flip, flip from one channel to the other, that and watching everything he's got on through the semi-transparent channel line-up all the time ( Century Link)...

I'm rooting for you! Hope he'll get the message that you're not a Stepford Wife!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 4,497,795 times
Quote:

If you can imagine . . .

How could he dare? No robots here.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:01 PM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
We're not quite retired yet but since we're both teachers we have summers off together.

I've just learned that when Mrs. NBP says, "You know, I've been thinking..........." that I need to make myself scarce for a couple hours or get involved with something else.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:06 PM

4,504 posts, read 5,026,115 times
When I retired my wife told me all kinds of things to do :
Get out of my way !
Go find something to do !
Don't tell me what to do!
Why don't you take a walk!
You want something to do , go clean the toilets !
Why don't you get a part time job ?

You get the idea, after 10 years I figured it out and we're both happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement