U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:14 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,588,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
The other is perhaps the worlds largest retirement community, The Villages in Florida.
The good thing about the Villages is that there are lots of extracirricular activities;

Woman, 68, and younger lover, 49, arrested after being caught having sex in Florida retirement community

That's just the most recent in a long string of similar incidents in the media about the Villages. Apparently, as a man you will be quite welcome and a very popular resident. Your wife however, not so much...well unless shes looking for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 01:14 PM

673 posts, read 577,579 times
Default Similar thoughts, still looking for "Mayberry" with a touch of "Utopia"!

GeneR, I "hear" and understand your thoughts and comments...many of the same we were considering as well.

Although I like the amenities and feel of some of the 55+ communities, I would also like at least some diversity of houses, neighbors, and proximity to a lake for all of those activities.

So far, I haven't really found such a community either ocean-side or lake-side. Have you?

I also agree with many of the things Stealthrabbit suggested, and already did. Purchasing a small lakeside cabin/house to rent out as well as use periodically is a great idea. I'd like to check out the areas SR mentioned in TN.

We've already done that in the TX Hill Country as well, right along side Canyon Lake, Texas. We bought a little gem of a house around 7 years ago - it brings "instant peace" once we get there! GeneR, check out the Tx Hill Country, Canyon lake, and the lakes around Marble Falls...although they're a bit more pricey to purchase near Marble Falls, Tx. They have extremely reasonable rents for snowbirds, especially up near Lake Buchanan.

In fact, I'm sure many of the southern states have such offerings, probably near Hot Springs.
Many such places have "regular" snowbirds who repeatedly go to a particular lake, that they've formed their own "mobile communities" and keep in touch through the years!

We're not quite not at the full retirement age...still another 10+ years to go, but are trying to think ahead a bit. My idea of "Mayberry" would be a mixed age quiet community with great lakeside (reasonable) properties, a little house with a boat dock. But where....???

That's why, at least initially, we chose TX (no income tax). It's pretty, nice mix of neighbors and different houses, etc. But, regarding the taxes...like any other place, the revenues have to be acquired from some means. So, TX has pretty high property taxes, depending of course which county you live in.

We also thought about various areas in North Carolina - both coastal (New Bern, Albermarle Sound), as well as lake areas. St. James Lake has a great older community, but wow...pricey lots and houses!!! Love Asheville, but a bit too cold in the winter, and no great lake to speak of. Then, there's Lake Norman. Aspects of it are priced out of this world (Nascar millionaires), but property costs plummet just one block in from the water. You can also find small, older properties that are waterfront for a significant drop in price. Property taxes there are about 1/4 to 1/3 that of TX!!! However, they do have income tax...now, there's a caveat. If you were in the military before certain year (mid-'80s???) retired vets don't have their retirement or income taxed!!! We just made that one under the line. So, we're still considering that one.

So, those are some other suggestions...go spend a couple of months renting here and there for the winter, and see for yourself what may work...and where your "Mayberry" is! (And don't forget to tell the rest of us just exactly where that is!!!)

Good luck!!
Dandiday

Old 08-16-2014, 01:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've heard people say this previously, and to be perfectly honest, I just don't get it. The gates and/or walls of a 55+ community are not topped by barbed wire; these are not prison communities. What would restrict a resident of a 55+ community from going out an enjoying any aspect of that city's amenities? In Las Vegas, for example, 55+ communities ring the Strip. One could live in a 55+ community and choose to take part in their own community's activities one day and then get in a car and enjoy fine dining or world-class entertainment the next.

I suppose the key is to find a city whose amenities, weather, etc., you like, and then find a 55+ community in that locale (if that is your preference). But whether you choose to live in a 55+ or a non age-restricted community really shouldn't impact on your participation in those amenities.

Housing is just that, housing. The OP's observations are based on personal and copycat lifestyle choices, not housing. If residents of a plus-55 get into habitual patterns of living, the housing doesn't create that. A lot of retirees seem to get old before their time, slowing down when they don't really have to, acting like oldsters, etc. Unless there are restricting health problems, there's no need imo to not live to the fullest in a 55+.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Some Mayberry towns on lakes are rural. If one plans on aging in place till popping off, transportation, travel time and accessibility to help and healthcare can be a big consideration.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:02 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
We've spent the past several months giving very serious thought to our retirement living. Hours have been spent on the internet looking at various web sites specializing in selecting the 'perfect' place to spend those golden years. Now I'm having some second thoughts.

As noted on other pages of this site we recently visited several age-restricted communities in Arizona. We have chosen a few as our favorites. They are gorgeous. Perfectly manicured community lawns, waterfalls, golf courses with views of mountains and desert. The homes lined up perfectly and no matter the age they all appeared new. Most importantly the residents seemed warm, friendly and happy. So no matter where this post takes me I am not, in any way, denigrating the life style chosen by residents of retirement communities. I am however rethinking whether or not they would live well for us.

My wife and I have, from time to time, thought of having a retirement home similar to the home seen in the film "On Golden Pond". A modest home set on a lakeside where family would come and visit, where life would be beautiful and simple. Our biggest hurdle has been economics. Have you ever priced lakeside property? But as I gave this thought I began to realize part of the attraction of such a setting is the "country feel" this setting promotes. That led me to rethink life in a retirement community.

While retirement communities are well designed with lots of amenities they do appear to us to be very 'suburban', that is, there are rows and rows of similar looking homes on well maintained streets. Residents have limited choices for destinations from home. They leave home (sometimes by golf car), go to the recreation center or golf course then return home. Day after day, back and forth, taking the same route time and time again to the same place. For shopping it's usually to a nearby strip mall where you'll find groceries, home supplies, perhaps a hardware store and maybe a gift shop or two. It's not unlike where I live now (only the weather is much, much better!).

While we found these communities to be very lovely and the people to be very friendly, do we really want to move from one suburb to another? Might we be better off finding a great American small town where we might find that modest home with a yard, white picket fence, garden and perhaps it's a short walk to downtown where there are locally useful businesses? Where is Mayberry?

We're now rethinking our future which might include more of a small town environment. There are a couple places that might be better for us. One is Hot Springs Village in Arkansas where there are about 15-thousand residents spread over 26-thousand wooded acres. Nearby is the town of Hot Springs which has more of a small town feel and not filled with strip malls. The other is perhaps the worlds largest retirement community, The Villages in Florida. While the residential areas of The Villages still look very suburban these areas are built around town squares featuring shops and restaurants. Yes, there are some strip malls there as well but that is not the only source of shopping.

Fortunately we have a couple years, maybe three, before we make a move. We've gone from being absolutely sure we're going to move to a specific Arizona community, to rethinking what we really want to do, what type of life style do we really want. Everything seems to be still on the table.
each of us see retirement through different eyes; approaching it, expecting something different. I think retirement communities are great in many ways. I am not sure I want to live somewhere that is not more diversified. No, I don't want the basic suburban home on a street of cookie cutter lots and kids everywhere. Most of us have been there, done that, but I don't want to live in a situation where we just watch people go down hill, watching them pass away and waiting in line for my turn. I don't like going to the bridge party and hearing everyone talk about their latest visit to the doctors or when they will their knew replaced.

We probably have the best situation we can ask for. We live in a town that was, at one time a retirement village, but has changed in the past few years. We get to see kids playing, but not everywhere, we do have our senior friends. We all have custom built homes, from small zero lot lines and town homes to massive homes on 200 or more feet of late front. Traffic is not bad, we have decent medial facilities and good shopping. We also have an abundance of golf courses and lakes. I just can't think of a more perfect place to spend our last years.

We also have a couple great retirement apartment living complexes and some assisted living centers. Both hubby and I have decided if something happens to one of us, the other will probably, by then, be ready to downsize into a retirement apartment.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:22 PM

673 posts, read 577,579 times
Default Medical care is ultimately an important factor to remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Some Mayberry towns on lakes are rural. If one plans on aging in place till popping off, transportation, travel time and accessibility to help and healthcare can be a big consideration.
That's a HUGE consideration that many people don't consider...
Thanks for the reminder!
Dandiday

Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:

While retirement communities are well designed with lots of amenities they do appear to us to be very 'suburban', that is, there are rows and rows of similar looking homes on well maintained streets. Residents have limited choices for destinations from home. They leave home (sometimes by golf car), go to the recreation center or golf course then return home. Day after day, back and forth, taking the same route time and time again to the same place. For shopping it's usually to a nearby strip mall where you'll find groceries, home supplies, perhaps a hardware store and maybe a gift shop or two. It's not unlike where I live now (only the weather is much, much better!).

While we found these communities to be very lovely and the people to be very friendly, do we really want to move from one suburb to another? Might we be better off finding a great American small town where we might find that modest home with a yard, white picket fence, garden and perhaps it's a short walk to downtown where there are locally useful businesses? Where is Mayberry?

We're now rethinking our future which might include more of a small town environment. There are a couple places that might be better for us. One is Hot Springs Village in Arkansas where there are about 15-thousand residents spread over 26-thousand wooded acres. Nearby is the town of Hot Springs which has more of a small town feel and not filled with strip malls.
Sounds like you've never been to Hot Springs Village?

It's pretty much what you described in the 1st paragraph above, only with lots of trees. It's miles of roads dotted with enclaves of suburbia-type neighborhoods. You must have a car to get anywhere. There are no walking or biking paths and the roads are much too dangerous for anything but cars. (There are some walking trails in the woods, but they're no good for getting from one place to another).

From most homes it's at least several miles to the strip mall just outside the HSV front gate, where there's a supermarket and a few fast food places but little else. Up and down the highway outside the gate, there are pet supply stores, liquor stores, real estate & insurance offices, a lumber supply and a Walmart.

It's an even longer drive into the town of Hot Springs, where all the retail and businesses are in strip malls or the town's one big covered mall. Downtown Hot Springs is picturesque but has only tourist shops and cafes.

Also, if it matters - Hot Springs Village is not an age-restricted community.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:06 PM

38,153 posts, read 14,910,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Housing is just that, housing. The OP's observations are based on personal and copycat lifestyle choices, not housing. If residents of a plus-55 get into habitual patterns of living, the housing doesn't create that. A lot of retirees seem to get old before their time, slowing down when they don't really have to, acting like oldsters, etc. Unless there are restricting health problems, there's no need imo to not live to the fullest in a 55+.
We looked at several retirement communities and my impression was we would be spending the rest of our days with chipper old codgers talking about their hip replacements, sciatica surgeries, gallbladder troubles... Lord, I couldn't bear it.

So we bought a home in an HOA with a pool and a lot of young families and professionals. We get invited to parties where there is homemade beer, Mojito contests, betting on the Kentucky Derby, and so forth.

No golf carts or craft clubs, alas. But for now, this suits us fine.

We thought about a lake home as being a peaceful retreat and an attractions for the kids to come visit. As we get older, I think the driving would be too much for us.

Have thought about the Tellico Village area. It seems lovely and affordable. Far from all our kids though.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:02 PM

For those who are coupled, one day one will be alone. Some don't mind the thought of making yet another change at that point. Many, if not most, partnered seniors will go that route (a change at that point.) Into 55+ or assisted living.

But for those who at this point at least want to believe we can live out the rest of their lives in one place, like my mother did till she died at 92, the choice of where and how to live obviously has to be a wise one. I think it's these folks who appear to outsiders to be dragging their feet, taking much too long to decide.

Those here who say rent for a while have the right idea. For those for whom money is no object, that's certainly doable. Put all the stuff in storage and pay all the security deposits and rent while seeking the "perfect place." It is a hassle to go this route, for some much more that for others especially if pet(s) are involved. Many rents do not allow them. Other seniors may have health problems and rental(s) before buying can be laborious and just too much.

The 55+ community makes sense for a lot of folks while they're still young enough and healthy enough to get in and begin that life. Those who think they want to go from a SFH to another SFH (house or condo) have a great deal more looking and thinking to do.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,347,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
The good thing about the Villages is that there are lots of extracirricular activities;

Woman, 68, and younger lover, 49, arrested after being caught having sex in Florida retirement community

That's just the most recent in a long string of similar incidents in the media about the Villages. Apparently, as a man you will be quite welcome and a very popular resident. Your wife however, not so much...well unless shes looking for something.
I thought the same....but luckily, there is a health clinic that specializes in public health issues like VD, herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement