U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM

38,153 posts, read 14,910,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post

It is very hard to make these decisions isn't it? HOA, no HOA, 55+ or regular neighborhood. A lot of choices. Very difficult.
I agree. There always seemed to be a reason to move somewhere before. Now that the criteria is living the good life, how do we figure out what that would be?

Friend and her husband spend the summers on their boat in Vancouver and their winters in their home on the beach in Costa Rica. They had the best of both worlds until they were needed to help raise a special needs grandchild and had to sell their home in Costa Rica.

We live a short drive away from one daughter, but only see her about once a month and then for only a brief time. Our other kids live far away and we see them over the holidays.

I'm not particularly set on this place, but don't know where else I'd like better.

I would love to live near the water, but coastal areas we've seen are all crowded, homes need a lot of upkeep thanks to the salt air, and with the insurance mess getting worse, probably not a good idea anyway. Maybe a lake?

We've thought about Tellico Village or somewhere else in east Tennessee. But, i worry about needing help some day and not having any of our kids within easy driving distance.

Difficult decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 AM

118 posts, read 140,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What do you want to spend your retirement doing and what places will maximize that opportunity.
I love these two questions. Short, simple and to the point.

That's how my husband and I recently came to our decision about where to retire. We have been exploring places for almost 2 years. We are settling on Bradenton, Florida because I want to make art and he loves baseball. And I do not handle cold weather well at all physically. So we need someplace warm.

Bradenton will "maximize that opportunity" as TuborgP phrased it. Bradenton has the Village of the Arts which has an art scene very similar to the one I have been working in the last decade. And baseball is everywhere: major league, minor league and spring training. Add in the Gulf Coast beauty and warm winters, and we are looking to make this place our next adventure in life very soon.

Our family is on the East Coast, so staying on the East Coast makes it easier to travel to see them.

It really comes down to deciding what your priorities are. If you have a partner, both desires need to be accommodated. I would have loved to move to the next town over from where we live now (Raleigh), to Durham. Durham is where I currently work and where I am established in the arts community. But my husband wants to try something new. We have worked hard to find a town that serves us both well.

Simple questions, but the answers give so much insight.

Ruth

Old 08-17-2014, 01:25 PM

5,781 posts, read 4,833,476 times
I'm here in Tellico Village (near Loudon TN, and 30 min from Knoxville). TV is not your typical community. It is not age-restricted, but it did start out as a Cooper Community, and most of the homeowners are retired. At 55, I am on the younger end of the age spectrum, although there are about 10% younger families. Many (ok, almost all) are transplants from around the country. There are many lakefront homes, and they start at about $500K. There are also golf front homes and interior homes and lots, as well as patio homes and townhomes starting in the $170k area. It is far different from a Sun City type place. The similarities include clubs for every possible interest and many structured activities if that is your thing. The difference is in the "active" end of the activity spectrum. We have a motorcycle club, several car clubs (Corvette, British sports cars, etc), a cruising club for lake boaters (I would guess 60% of residents own boats of some sort), 3 hiking clubs for all levels of hikers, a kayak club, a state of the art fitness center, wine tasting clubs, as well as the obligatory tennis courts, pools, 3 golf courses, etc. So it's not like we are all sitting around discussing our new false teeth. It's far more likely that we are out building a Habitat House for the needy, or attending a photography workshop in Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park, or running our dogs in the dog park. The homes are very much individualized as they were built by numerous builders and many are custom. There are no sidewalks, or seas of rooftops here. We are situated along about 8 miles of lake front and the streets are winding through woodlands of hickory, beech, poplar, southern pine, etc. Some lots are small and some are large, some are wooded and some are not. There is a POA, but there are not many "rule Nazis". I can name 5 homes off the top of my head in obvious violation of the exterior "paint color rules" but none have been outted by their neighbors, LOL! For me, it is like living in a very comfortable resort with just about every amenity I can think of. The people are friendly and the weather is pleasant about 85% of the time. We do get some humidity in the summer and a few weeks of cold temps in the winter, but that makes the rest of the time that much sweeter. It's worth a look... www.tellicovillage.org

Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I am thinking I will stay where I am in my working life. Winter doesn't bother me, but I do take issue with the sticky summers (this summer has been a wonderful departure from the usual humidity/grey summers the Northeast has been having for many years now). I am largely car-dependent, but not to an impossible point. Everything I genuinely need is within three miles, and my health plan and hospital are about eight miles away, so I'd have to be in pretty bad shape to be unable to drive to those things.

I expect to have enough money to hire people to work on the house, yard and so on. Already do so as I am not handy and don't like to do stuff. I also hire cleaning help. Actually, I don't see any difference in retirement as long as I have the money! My house is about 1250 sq.ft. and I basically live on the first floor as I would in a largish one-bedroom apartment (nothing critical is upstairs).

I do daydream of living in a small Western town in the summer but have not been able to figure out a way to live in two places, like a snow-sun/bird, when the two places are 2,000 miles apart. I'm sure I'll feel less and less like schlepping any distance to a place to live, and then there's the question of pets, suitable car, and if driving, driving that much alone. Don't think I'd care for it now, and will less and less care for it in the future.

I think I will take significant vacations when in younger retirement to go West. I've made several "adventure" changes in my life and have not found them to be worth the multiple costs, although I'm glad I got them out of my system.

Oh, and will have to find someone to shovel snow for good pay. If you have enough money, almost anywhere can live well!

Old 08-17-2014, 01:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
You should try renting in the Villages.
It is turning into a metropolis with the population over 100,000.
there's something Stepford Wives-ish to me about The Villages

In Play: The Villages Golf Retirement Community | Golf Channel

Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,760,423 times
Life doesn't have to end at retirement age.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,221 times
I wonder if, now that people are living longer in retirement, it might be better to think of at least two different stages. The first stage might be active retirement, when you can live almost anywhere and do pretty much whatever you want to do. And then come the later years when age begins to catch up with you and access to good healthcare becomes more important. If financially feasible, it seems like planning to move more than once during retirement might be wise.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:25 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
I've seen that concept a few times (GO GO, SLOW GO, NO GO phases).
Three Phases of Retirement

Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post

We also thought about various areas in North Carolina - both coastal (New Bern, Albermarle Sound), as well as lake areas. St. James Lake has a great older community, but wow...pricey lots and houses!!! Love Asheville, but a bit too cold in the winter, and no great lake to speak of. Then, there's Lake Norman. Aspects of it are priced out of this world (Nascar millionaires), but property costs plummet just one block in from the water. You can also find small, older properties that are waterfront for a significant drop in price. Property taxes there are about 1/4 to 1/3 that of TX!!! However, they do have income tax...now, there's a caveat. If you were in the military before certain year (mid-'80s???) retired vets don't have their retirement or income taxed!!! We just made that one under the line. So, we're still considering that one.

)

Good luck!!
Dandiday
Careful, there. I believe the exemption of state income tax in NC applies ONLY to the military pension, not to any other income/pensions you may receive. For example, if you have IRA's that require an RMD, you ARE going to pay NC state income tax on that.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:16 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthinraleigh View Post
I love these two questions. Short, simple and to the point.

That's how my husband and I recently came to our decision about where to retire. We have been exploring places for almost 2 years. We are settling on Bradenton, Florida because I want to make art and he loves baseball. And I do not handle cold weather well at all physically. So we need someplace warm.

Bradenton will "maximize that opportunity" as TuborgP phrased it. Bradenton has the Village of the Arts which has an art scene very similar to the one I have been working in the last decade. And baseball is everywhere: major league, minor league and spring training. Add in the Gulf Coast beauty and warm winters, and we are looking to make this place our next adventure in life very soon.

Our family is on the East Coast, so staying on the East Coast makes it easier to travel to see them.

It really comes down to deciding what your priorities are. If you have a partner, both desires need to be accommodated. I would have loved to move to the next town over from where we live now (Raleigh), to Durham. Durham is where I currently work and where I am established in the arts community. But my husband wants to try something new. We have worked hard to find a town that serves us both well.

Simple questions, but the answers give so much insight.

Ruth
Sorta funny we moved to SE side of Raleigh because it had what we wanted including two hours to the beach. I95 is wonderful for east coast travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement