U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 AM
mlb

3,194 posts, read 2,861,612 times

Advertisements

I also think about 50% of people aged 65 have a serious disability that will prevent them from being able to work as usual. At least if I remember the numbers correctly. So one in two people claiming they will not retire delude themselves as they lack the ability to work (at least not in their current job).

I kind of boggle at the thought of 50% of 65 year olds having a serious disability - and would like to see some citation of that.....

I don't think too many of us want to transition directly from full-time employment to complete retirement; it can take a toll on both physical and emotional health.

At 65 I will have been in the workforce 50 years - the first couple parttime as I went to school.

I have absolutely no qualms nor problems doing absolutely NOTHING for the first 6 months to a year. I earned it and look forward to it.

Those of you who want to work in any way, shape or manner - have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM
gg

17,946 posts, read 18,272,872 times
Lots of people in my generation can't retire and never will. This is the era of CEO's and top people making tons of money and trickling down nothing. It is what it is. Nothing anyone can do about it. You think it is bad for Gen X's, wait till these new college grads get out in the workforce and are trying to pay $100K in student loans, try and buy a home and have a car. Good luck with that. Thanks government for making sure everyone can be in debt for college. What a great way to start out life. Might as well get used to the debt cycle and groom young people to accept being in massive debt their whole lives. Thanks greedy people for taking as much as you can before you die off. You will be remembered fondly I am sure, but you will be fat and dead, so you won't care anyway.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,694,716 times
Right now my plan is to retire from where I currently work in about twelve years at age 55. That will give me 33 years with my current employer. If I can afford to retire a year or two earlier I will, but I'll look into that as I get closer. I think I'd then do something part time and not stop working completely.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
I think you're a little too focused on the wording.

"full time"?

Are they REALLY making it an issue to say FULL TIME? This sounds like a hypothetical.

I've never ever in my whole life heard a single person say that. Yes they may say "I'll work forever".

PLENTY of people work way past normal retirement.

A bagger in our Publix is 96 and was hired at 85.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Right now my plan is to retire from where I currently work in about twelve years at age 55. That will give me 33 years with my current employer. If I can afford to retire a year or two earlier I will, but I'll look into that as I get closer. I think I'd then do something part time and not stop working completely.
It's so awesome that we can now have the luxury of being retired for just as long as we will potentially live thereafter, given that it wouldn't be shocking for you to live another 33 years.

I took a retirement package at 55 with no intention to retire but get rehired in another state.

I did. BUt then I quit and started a business.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,839 posts, read 54,538,129 times
I could retire today at 62, with a small pension and social security plus 401K but if I stay until 68 will add about $1,000/month to the pension (years of service) plus more SS and at age 70 another $500. I'd probably go sooner if I didn't enjoy what I do and where I do it, but as long as I find the work challenging and enjoyable I will stay and probably maximize my retirement income. I do also have a home based business on the side that I can continue after retirement since it's not physical work and only takes a few evenings and maybe one weekend day a month. Currently we use that extra money to pay for vacations and additional savings but we may need it then.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
But then there are the folks that retire from company after 30 years and actually take up a profession working for themselves. Some do what they did a company before and others work at work they always wanted to do. Most will likely retire before dying but only because they can't continue. I know tons of those types.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Lots of people in my generation can't retire and never will. This is the era of CEO's and top people making tons of money and trickling down nothing. It is what it is. Nothing anyone can do about it. You think it is bad for Gen X's, wait till these new college grads get out in the workforce and are trying to pay $100K in student loans, try and buy a home and have a car. Good luck with that. Thanks government for making sure everyone can be in debt for college. What a great way to start out life. Might as well get used to the debt cycle and groom young people to accept being in massive debt their whole lives. Thanks greedy people for taking as much as you can before you die off. You will be remembered fondly I am sure, but you will be fat and dead, so you won't care anyway.
Not everyone has that much in student loans, but I do think retirement is going to be much tougher for Millenials.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Not everyone has that much in student loans, but I do think retirement is going to be much tougher for Millenials.

Only if they don't learn from "Boomer" mistakes.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,694,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's so awesome that we can now have the luxury of being retired for just as long as we will potentially live thereafter, given that it wouldn't be shocking for you to live another 33 years.

I took a retirement package at 55 with no intention to retire but get rehired in another state.

I did. BUt then I quit and started a business.
Exactly. Although I plan to retire from what I am doing now, it doesn't mean I won't work at all, but I'll hopefully have the luxury of doing something different or having more of a choice about when I want to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or