Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times

Advertisements

This board has been very helpful in giving me ideas for our retirement. Initially I wasn't sure how it would be shaped, but gradually my thoughts are branching out.

So, my latest thought is that maybe we should put everything in storage for 3 years and move to either Ireland or Scotland. In that 3 year period we would travel to the European cities that appeal to us, using an Irish rental as our home base. I am picking Ireland or Scotland so that we speak the language. I didn't pick England because it has no appeal for me.

After the 3 years are up we would come back to the USA and move into a CCRC. Then we could travel the USA while we are older, if we had a wish to.

Now I have to figure out who I would speak to in order to find out just how much money I would need to devote to this plan, what Visas we would need and how to get them. I'll need to talk to TriCare about insurance, and I need to figure out the banking situation.

Anyway, I now have a project that sounds exciting.

Any comments, or ideas, or your experiences would be helpful and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:02 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Here's a nice article to read while you're waiting on someone with 1st hand knowledge to chime in:
Retire Here, Not There: Ireland

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Ireland or Scotland are somewhat out of the way locations, if you have an interest in visiting lots of places in continental Europe. Flights on discount airlines like RyanAir will get you to the rest of Europe, but it will take more time, effort and cost compared to a place that is more centrally located (lFrance, Germany, Czech, Austria).

In order to qualify for a permanent resident "retirement visa", documentation proving a steady stream of retirement income will be needed. The amount will vary by country. Also UK or Ireland may require purchase of health insurance from one of their domestic health insurance providers.

I suggest finding a rental apartment in one of the larger cities of the country that you decide on. That way you will not need to buy a car, and can use public transportation. Also, a larger city is likely closer to an airport that will get you a discount airline flight to other places in Europe. Unless you have really deep pockets, you will find that rail travel from Scotland to rest of Europe is far more expensive than flying.

I plan on living in Berlin for at least a year after I retire (in 2016 or 2017). I was stationed there while in the US Army in the 1970s, and have visited many times since then. Berlin has one of the best public transit systems in Europe, affordable cost of living for apartment rentals, endless things to see and do, great for bicycling in the city, centrally located to many other places in Europe, and I know the place as if it were my hometown. I have kept in contact with some friends in Berlin that I have known for 4 decades.

The key thing before making a decision to move somewhere outside the US is to make a "scouting" trip to the place you want to move to, and make sure it is a place you will like before making a decision to up and move there.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 AM

Thank you. My husband was stationed in England, Italy, and Germany. Our preference was for a country where English is spoken. I do have a friend in Ireland. We have been pen pals for the last 14 years. But, I've never been there and would have to make a scouting trip to all of the countries I would be interested in. I've been to France and England. I would not want to live in either country.

If worse comes to worst, we could remain in the USA and take a trip once a year to Europe. It just seemed like a much more difficult option that way.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
One think to consider is extended vacations via renting/purchasing a small motor home. There are some pretty compact ones that offer the basic amenities including a toilet/shower. Plenty for sale in England and as they speak English, easier to do business with. Also a good jumping off spot and one can get cheap airfares to there.

Spend a few nights per week in the van and then some nights in a smallish hotel for hot baths, laundry, etc.

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/u...edListing=true

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Thank you Johngolf.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
I don't know about Ireland, but the UK no longer has a retirement visa. Unless one of you qualifies for an ancestry visa (parent from the UK or grandparent in Ireland) it's doubtful you'll be able to stay more than 6 months at a time.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 AM

Thank you Ameriscot. It may be that we will have to rent for a few months at a time in several countries. That would not be ideal and would be very tiresome. I'm going to do the research. However, retirement is over a decade away, so things are going to be changing a lot in that time.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Thank you Ameriscot. It may be that we will have to rent for a few months at a time in several countries. That would not be ideal and would be very tiresome. I'm going to do the research. However, retirement is over a decade away, so things are going to be changing a lot in that time.
Good luck. The UK is getting tougher and tougher about immigration. Even those who are marrying or married to a UK citizen (as I am) are facing tougher obstacles such as proving they have a place to live and a minimum income.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
LookingatFL, storing your stuff will be expensive. Things may not hold up well due to bugs and heat.

My Dad stashed his inventory of antique furniture in the hopes he would finish the house and use it. It sat in the south Florida heat for eight years. The rent was 600 a month. When my mom cleaned out the unit it had all been ruined by termites. That was a lot of money.

Thankfully, you have some time to plan, sell things, donate or gift things, and save up money like the dickens. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement