Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM

95 posts, read 227,753 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited, Finally after a long wait, my vacation/retirement scouting trip begins ! I'm going to look in Central PA and in Virginia to see if any place feels like a retirement spot ! I hope the humidity isn't too much; I really don't want to trade the "dry" (haha) heat of the California desert for humidity. I don't mind some summer weather, just not months and months and months of it.

Any one in Virginia that has a recommendation of areas to consider ? I'm going to be looking in Brookneal and Farmville, I'd like to find some place under $80,000 so I've been looking at manufactured type homes, some on an acre or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,001,016 times
Wishing you all the best for scouting PA and VA! I have read the majority of the replies to your initial posting about 'scouting' for your retirement years.

"If" you find that winters are a deal breaker, Would you be able to make another move to an area with warmer winters? Would you be in a position to rent for a year or two v. buying (to allow an easier relocation if needed?).

I had no clue about 'winter' having spent the majority of my life in SoCal; all I knew was what I saw on tv or in movies, or pretty pictures on calendars (or driving to the mountains in CA to play in the snow). It didn't take me long after moving to the middle of the country to learn what real "cold", snow, ice, etc., is all about, and it can last upwards of 4-5 months each season. Some suggested visiting PA or VA during the winter; however, you really have to live there through the season to achieve reality.

Hopefully you will find that you enjoy the winter season.

Again, wishing you all the best!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,112,776 times
There are so many nice places in PA and VA and in MD, also WV which is where we bought for retirement. In fact we are on one of our quarterly trips there on the 15th of August. We will be moving there in about 2 years if current plans hold.

One thing to consider is not just what the towns look like and housing costs, but other things that affect you like sales taxes, Medical availability, Does the state tax pensions or SS? How are the property taxes and what are the general costs of living, in any state and community you consider. good luck and have fun on your trip.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,001,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
There are so many nice places in PA and VA and in MD, also WV which is where we bought for retirement. In fact we are on one of our quarterly trips there on the 15th of August. We will be moving there in about 2 years if current plans hold.

One thing to consider is not just what the towns look like and housing costs, but other things that affect you like sales taxes, Medical availability, Does the state tax pensions or SS? How are the property taxes and what are the general costs of living, in any state and community you consider. good luck and have fun on your trip.
Excellent points! In my research for more affordable 'senior' living, these are categories I research as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:27 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,351,513 times
Is there anything particular about the 2 communities in VA that you mentioned that has you considering them?

Other than low cost housing what are your needs/wants/interests?

I came here (about an hour Sw of Roanoke) 8 years ago from the SF Bay Area and am pretty happy overall.

I hope you have a fun and educational trip.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 PM

95 posts, read 227,753 times
Hi and thanks for all the above replies.

other than reasonable housing... I hope the weather is more tolerable than the many days of heat... I usually have to have a/c on in Calif all of July, August, and September..... and are $350 for the "pleasure" of being 79 degrees indoors!

Other things I'm looking for" I'm pretty much a homebody, maybe if i enjoyed summer I'd be out more... I like square dancing, and will check areas for that; I'm not a huge shopper, but groceries within 1/2 hr is good.

The Charlottesville to Richmond area was recommended, but they seem more expensive for housing. Having been in Calif all my life, I dont mind some driving to things (more than 30 miles) I know some think if its not within a 10mile radius its too far. I like rural

Thanks for responding and asking. Glad to have a few respond and give me some insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Is there anything particular about the 2 communities in VA that you mentioned that has you considering them?

Other than low cost housing what are your needs/wants/interests?

I came here (about an hour Sw of Roanoke) 8 years ago from the SF Bay Area and am pretty happy overall.

I hope you have a fun and educational trip.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:19 AM

18,655 posts, read 33,220,601 times
How does OP figure in car dependence with aging? I always think of that and most of the answers aren't too exciting.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,146,032 times
If you want to dip down to NC, I highly recommend the foothill region of our state for retirement. There are houses available (sometimes with land) in your price range, but typically the houses need work and are usually foreclosures.

These are from Alexander County in NC.

Here is a manufactured home with 1 acre of land:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/25...05750102_zpid/

Another manufactured home:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/72...13748649_zpid/

Here are homes in neighborhoods:

70 Saint James Ln, Taylorsville, NC 28681 is For Sale - Zillow

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15...07462417_zpid/

Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you want to dip down to NC, I highly recommend the foothill region of our state for retirement. ...
Here is a manufactured home with 1 acre of land:
Something that has worked well for me is to pick up some of these ^^^^ on acreage with a shop and RV sites. I add a guesthouse inside the shop (for me or a future caregiver / Sick adult kid / parent), and I rent out the main house and have a free place for me! (and RV sites for my friends that visit.)
  • I get a 10% ROI and have someone to watch the place and mow the yard.
  • Potential equity gain (if bought at right price)
  • Present and future cash flow (I will sell them on contract if they become a pain to manage, so far, no pain)

Not everyone's cup of tea, but fine for frugal living, especially since I'm not home much.
I prefer to have these places in senior friendly, desirable locations near cheap airports. That way I can fly around a visit / live (take a partially deductible business trip) when the weather and season is best. I keep a cheap diesel car (<$500) at each place. They can sit for a few months / years and be happy and ready to deliver 50 mpg when seldom used.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 AM

16,129 posts, read 10,269,045 times
Having done this exact thing for a few years now here is what I can tell you:

PA: I was very disappointed that Gettysburg, as well as Hanover, have pretty high property taxes. There seems to be a school tax as well as a city tax on top of the county property tax. To give you an example a $140,000 home in Charlestown WV and Johnson City TN (2 other towns we are considering) have property taxes under $1,000. In Gettysburg the total tax is close to $3,000

In looking at SW VA be careful to monitor the rainfall and sunny days. Many such as Lynchburg and Harrisonburg get a lot of cloudy/rainy days.

I happened to really like Winchester, VA. the wife not so much. Said it was too flat for a town "in the mountains".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement