U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,162 times

Advertisements

Sometimes after retirement adult children come back.
This happened to a good friend who finally said enough is enough.
Out the door he went.
We re talking about many years of just lazing about.

Any success stories here about adult children who went back on their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM

6,069 posts, read 9,533,605 times
Yep, one of my sisters (with her two toddlers). But it was decades ago, and the economy was relatively robust at that time, so she had reasonably good opportunities to get herself back to independence.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yep, one of my sisters (with her two toddlers). But it was decades ago, and the economy was relatively robust at that time, so she had reasonably good opportunities to get herself back to independence.
Good news for you. Toddlers can be exhausting when you are older.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,148,018 times
Compare unemployment / underemployment for the 18 - 34 range today vs say 1984 and there should be no surprise about this. It would stink to be in that age range right now. Thankless.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,749,253 times
Yep, retired at 51, moved to Florida with DW ... Had a wonderful first year and then the news , one daughter , pregnant no father in picture . She moves in with us to get a new start, has child , finds good gainful employment and her and my grandson move out less than one year later . It's now been about two years , she's self sufficient and doing a wonderful job as a single mom as well. It was a tough year but I would do it again in a heart beat ..and my grandson is the best little guy ever !
So yes they do move back out ...

Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
I moved back in with my parents in my 20's (a long long time ago)
They still had the same rules as when I was 16.
You know those rules ... the ones that start with "While you are under our roof ..."

It was a big incentive to get out of there ASAP

Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
Yep, retired at 51, moved to Florida with DW ... Had a wonderful first year and then the news , one daughter , pregnant no father in picture . She moves in with us to get a new start, has child , finds good gainful employment and her and my grandson move out less than one year later . It's now been about two years , she's self sufficient and doing a wonderful job as a single mom as well. It was a tough year but I would do it again in a heart beat ..and my grandson is the best little guy ever !
Good positive story.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
And you got a grandson in the deal as well!

Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,356,224 times
Haven't had that happen to me. My son knows that he can always come back home if life throws a curve, and he also knows that he can always come back home with a plan to get his life back on track and move on.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM

1,128 posts, read 790,073 times
We tell our younger friends that they better have a savings called "For kids AFTER college". All four of ours have degrees and all four work at least one job, but we have had two that did boomer-rang back for a couple of years.
This millennial group has it hard, I think. Lots of them are working very hard and they still can't afford their medical premiums. We help now and then with our two that struggle the most, but it's taken a chunk out of our savings since we did not plan on having to help adult children. My husband and I were raised that when you are 18, you are out. Good luck, we love you, but you're on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement