Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

What does one pay for part D?
In our...now my...case, the Walmart plan provided good coverage for under $20 a month.
$12.60, I think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Good points. NJ has a senior tax freeze, the eligible amount is over $80,000 per couple. Now NJ is a very high cost state, but I've always thought this amount is insanely high. Many couples with families living on less than that. I understand that every year the program fills up early in the year.

Hadn't thought about it in terms of keeping people in state - it's a good point. Also, of course, seniors vote!
NJ and Ny have good pension benefits that are being transferred out of state as pensioners transplant. That is both public and private pensioners along with considerable 401/403 monies. Money earned in state and now another lower tax state is reaping the reward of tax receipts. Both are high income states with high benefit and investment payouts gone. Yet the needs of the lower income remain. It is a reality check ideology aside. Gov's Cuomo and Christie while being in different political parties often sound alike. That's what reality checks often do.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
NJ and Ny have good pension benefits that are being transferred out of state as pensioners transplant. That is both public and private pensioners along with considerable 401/403 monies. Money earned in state and now another lower tax state is reaping the reward of tax receipts. Both are high income states with high benefit and investment payouts gone. Yet the needs of the lower income remain. It is a reality check ideology aside. Gov's Cuomo and Christie while being in different political parties often sound alike. That's what reality checks often do.
I was about to disagree with this since only a tiny percentage of our state is NYC but then realized that because of the population percentage, rather than land area, those levels when pitted against the expense of that many people in the NYC area, may not be so horribly high after all.
I'm geared to think in terms of the 'rest of the state'

[SIZE=2]][/SIZE] New York City alone makes up over 40 percent of the population of New York State, while two-thirds of the state's population resides within the New York City Metropolitan Area, and Long Island is home to nearly 40% of New York State's population
New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was about to disagree with this since only a tiny percentage of our state is NYC but then realized that because of the population percentage, rather than land area, those levels when pitted against the expense of that many people in the NYC area, may not be so horribly high after all.
I'm geared to think in terms of the 'rest of the state'

[SIZE=2]][/SIZE] New York City alone makes up over 40 percent of the population of New York State, while two-thirds of the state's population resides within the New York City Metropolitan Area, and Long Island is home to nearly 40% of New York State's population
New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was thinking of the entire state. Cuomo is state wide focused and his tax haven enclaves to attract business is state wide. The local tax resources available in the state vary considerably. So much government service is local and not state. There are a lot if transplants in my neck of the woods helping to broaden the tax base in NC at the expense of where we came from.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I was thinking of the entire state. Cuomo is state wide focused and his tax haven enclaves to attract business is state wide. The local tax resources available in the state vary considerably. So much government service is local and not state. There are a lot if transplants in my neck of the woods helping to broaden the tax base in NC at the expense of where we came from.
What you say is true but my point was only that the income levels for the help this program offers is perhaps only very high to some of us in rural areas where $75,000 for a single person would be happy days...maybe not so much so in that tiny little southeast corner.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What you say is true but my point was only that the income levels for the help this program offers is perhaps only very high to some of us in rural areas where $75,000 for a single person would be happy days...maybe not so much so in that tiny little southeast corner.
Gotcha, more impact in MathJaks neck of the woods.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
The Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC) program is a New York State program for seniors administered by the Department of Health. It helps more than 250,000 income-eligible seniors aged 65 and older to supplement their out-of-pocket Medicare Part D drug plan costs. Seniors can apply for EPIC at any time of the year and must be enrolled or eligible to be enrolled in a Medicare Part D drug plan to receive EPIC benefits and maintain coverage.

EPIC provides secondary coverage for Medicare Part D and EPIC-covered drugs purchased after any Medicare Part D deductible is met. EPIC also covers approved Part D-excluded drugs once a member is enrolled in Part D.

EPIC helps pay the Medicare Part D drug plan premiums for members with income up to $23,000 if single or $26,000 if married. Higher income members are required to pay their own Part D premiums but EPIC provides premium assistance by lowering their EPIC deductible.

EPIC has two plans based on income. The Fee Plan is for members with income up to $20,000 if single or $26,000 if married. The Deductible Plan is for members with incomes ranging from $20,001 to $75,000 if single or $26,001 to $100,000 if married.

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/epic/

The Fee Plan is for members with income up to $20,000 if single or $26,000 if married. Members pay an annual fee to EPIC ranging from $8 to $300 based on their prior year's income.

The Deductible Plan is for members with income ranging from $20,001 to $75,000 if single or $26,001 to $100,000 if married. Members must meet an annual EPIC deductible based on their prior year's income before they pay EPIC co-payments for drugs.

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_car...e_schedule.htm

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
The annual deductible for a single making over 23001.00 up to 24K is $720.00. It really depends on how much your meds are and how many you're on IMO.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
I guess that'd be the case, my brother lives in central NY, ( about an hour or so north of Binghamton) and I think he said his total retirement income, between a couple small pensions and SS, is about $38,000 annually. He says that should be entirely adequate in the area he lives in.

He lived in NYC for many years, and has commented many times about the disparity of the income ( and to some extent, cost of living) between NYC and the rest of the state.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM

In keeping with the idea of this forum, and I think was part of my original intention is this pandering to seniors whether they deserve/need it or not, just by virtue of their having reached a certain age?
Your mention of trying to keep more here might address that in part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement