U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 PM

19,804 posts, read 19,905,205 times

Advertisements

I just got a notice that NYS has expanded it's prescription insurance assistance plan for seniors.
I cannot say that we weren't thrilled, after having been without it and shelling out thousands after hitting the coverage gap by July, to know that this plan would kick in and only co-pays would be necessary.

The income limit was somewhere in the $40,000s per couple when my husband got enrolled.
Regardless of how strapped states supposedly are, this announcement is raising the income limits from $35,000 per single to $75,000 and from $50,000 to $100,000 per couple.

There was a thread earlier about seniors and what they should or shouldn't be entitled to, just by virtue of their age.
With those limits, doesn't this fit in there?
I feel bad for younger working people having to pay for what I personally feel is not justified as an across the board measure.
Agree? Disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 AM

I have to laugh ( I think)
Rep points show that at least some of my comments are appreciated but if CD would have a contest for who "Least engaging poster", I think I'm a shoe-in.
Nobody has an opinion on this?

Old 08-21-2014, 03:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
I am just wondering how the state can pick this up. It almost seems like an incentive for seniors to stay in the state and I wonder if that is what it is all about?

I am also puzzled that folks with that much income in retirement would qualify for these very generous prescription coverages. Am I understanding correctly that this is the state picking up the tab?

I wonder what % of folks over 65 actually hit the caps and would benefit from the additional coverage?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
old_cold

I keep hearing how high NYS taxes are - so - I'm wondering how they can afford this. I agree with Ani that there must be a motive other than just wanting to help seniors. The income amounts seem high.

I might just beat you on the least engaging poster though. I think people on CD have been busy elsewhere lately.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:12 AM

Yes, Ani, the state picks it up and the co-pays were lower than our regular insurance.

We were also never asked about assets, just income.
You do, btw, have to be enrolled in a Part D plan.
And, not to be misleading, it does not just take effect after the coverage gap is reached, but after a certain OOP is, including premiums.
And there are deductibles based on income or a fee plan (but they're reasonable ) so it's not a total giveaway but I still have a problem with the income limits.
Umbria....wanna have a private contest and check the history to see who bombed the worst on threads started?
I've not started many because the first few duds scared me away.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I just got a notice that NYS has expanded it's prescription insurance assistance plan for seniors.
I cannot say that we weren't thrilled, after having been without it and shelling out thousands after hitting the coverage gap by July, to know that this plan would kick in and only co-pays would be necessary.

The income limit was somewhere in the $40,000s per couple when my husband got enrolled.
Regardless of how strapped states supposedly are, this announcement is raising the income limits from $35,000 per single to $75,000 and from $50,000 to $100,000 per couple.

There was a thread earlier about seniors and what they should or shouldn't be entitled to, just by virtue of their age.
With those limits, doesn't this fit in there?
I feel bad for younger working people having to pay for what I personally feel is not justified as an across the board measure.
Agree? Disagree?
Thanks for the info. I found that Maryland has offered a similar program since 2005 and will pass this information on to one of my friends.

That said, you may want to dig a little deeper to determine if you will need to pay an additional amount in deductibles before the program kicks in with assistance. It appears to me that there is a significant deductible (in ADDITION to Medicare's pre-donut deductible) before assistance kicks in. But I'm not totally awake this morning, so maybe I'm reading this incorrectly.

After a member meets their EPIC deductible, they will pay EPIC co-payments for covered drugs. Drug costs in the Part D deductible phase cannot be applied to the EPIC deductible.

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/epic/deductible_schedule.htm

edit: Just saw your other post indicating you are aware of the additional deductible.

Last edited by lenora; 08-21-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, Ani, the state picks it up and the co-pays were lower than our regular insurance.

We were also never asked about assets, just income.
You do, btw, have to be enrolled in a Part D plan.
And, not to be misleading, it does not just take effect after the coverage gap is reached, but after a certain OOP is, including premiums.
And there are deductibles based on income or a fee plan (but they're reasonable ) so it's not a total giveaway but I still have a problem with the income limits.
Umbria....wanna have a private contest and check the history to see who bombed the worst on threads started?
I've not started many because the first few duds scared me away.
I don't think there's no interest. It's just that some things are hard to respond to b/c they're so unbelievable some of us just don't know what to say.

This thing boggles the mind. Knowing how greedy Big Pharma is, one recurring thought is they're in bed (duh) with Big Gov't and there's Big Payback for incentives for wealthy seniors to do more prescription drugs (as if we don't take enough already). Everything gov't does is for a self-serving reason of some kind; I cannot imagine what other reason there'd be.

What does one pay for part D?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
Didn't hear this yet.

Regardless, we don't have part D so it's not a boon for us. So it's not going to help low income seniors who don't qualify for Medicaid or who can afford part D? IMO.

Maybe the state benefits from those who have part D? NY will only allow certain insuruers in the state 'to protect the sheeple' from bad companies......there has to be a connection.

Not an incentive to stay. Can't wait to leave.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am just wondering how the state can pick this up. It almost seems like an incentive for seniors to stay in the state and I wonder if that is what it is all about?

I am also puzzled that folks with that much income in retirement would qualify for these very generous prescription coverages. Am I understanding correctly that this is the state picking up the tab?

I wonder what % of folks over 65 actually hit the caps and would benefit from the additional coverage?
You are a wise lady. The taxes it keeps in state probably exceeds the cost. NY is making a concerted effort to slow down business and wealth flight. It was a serious problem for them and other states and they are making inroads. States are competing to increase and preserve their tax base.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 AM

338 posts, read 625,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You are a wise lady. The taxes it keeps in state probably exceeds the cost. NY is making a concerted effort to slow down business and wealth flight. It was a serious problem for them and other states and they are making inroads. States are competing to increase and preserve their tax base.
Good points. NJ has a senior tax freeze, the eligible amount is over $80,000 per couple. Now NJ is a very high cost state, but I've always thought this amount is insanely high. Many couples with families living on less than that. I understand that every year the program fills up early in the year.

Hadn't thought about it in terms of keeping people in state - it's a good point. Also, of course, seniors vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or