U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:17 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,532,509 times

Advertisements

MY SFH home owners has been anywhere from $4500 to $1550 a year. I have been canceled 3 times since 2006. I am 18ish miles from the coast. My HOA is $900 a year plus whatever additional assessments they charge when they decide to sue.

If you have a condo, the outside insurance is included in your HOA fees and you have to pay the inside condo insurance individually. But if storms come through and do damage you can count that (1) your HOA fee will go up to cover the new outside insurance rates for the future and (2) there will be an additional assessments for repairs (new roofs, etc). One would think the cost is divided amongst all who live there.

Would be interesting to hear what others say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 03:54 PM

986 posts, read 1,178,564 times
We live in a gated subdivision in the Philippines and we do have HOA fees of $325 a year and in the 17 yrs we have never been asked for an extra assessment payment for anything!
Our property tax is only $230 a year! Electricity here is expensive though at an average of $180 a month, but we can live with that since our HOA and property tax are reasonable, with all 3 combined it only comes out to $226 a month to live in our home minus our monthly grocery bill, water bill, gas for the car, eating out, entertainment and what whatever else for our monthly living expenses, but we do nicely and have extra money left over each month to set aside for a rainy days and or 3 to 4 months long vacations! Fortunately our home no longer has a mortgage, we have the land title free and clear!
If we had stayed in California, we would still be poor and working over the age of 55 just to pay our monthly mortgage, taxes and other bills!
I retired at age 49 and we moved overseas immediately! Our home here is paid for and we do not have any bills, except for if we owe IRS anything! I'm receiving all of my U.S. government pensions and we are still living a comfortable retirement lifestyle here overseas! We have no complaints!

Last edited by Art2ro; 08-22-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 PM

9,997 posts, read 16,665,567 times
Not everyone can adapt to living in the Philippines. I had a colleague whose parents immigrated from the Philippines. Mom passed and Dad thought it would be the perfect retirement place. Colleague went back with Dad to the family village and situated him as he wished. I don't think he lasted 6 months! There is some truth that 'you can't go home again.'

Before anyone thinks moving to the Philippines is the solution I strongly suggest you rent for a year. I have been there, seen the upscale tourist places, and don't feel the need to go back.

'Nuf said.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Not everyone can adapt to living in the Philippines. I had a colleague whose parents immigrated from the Philippines. Mom passed and Dad thought it would be the perfect retirement place. Colleague went back with Dad to the family village and situated him as he wished. I don't think he lasted 6 months! There is some truth that 'you can't go home again.'

Before anyone thinks moving to the Philippines is the solution I strongly suggest you rent for a year. I have been there, seen the upscale tourist places, and don't feel the need to go back.

'Nuf said.
It's all about preparation, mindset, one's attitude, knowing the culture, can speak the language, not too many ties or none at all in the U.S. and with an adequate source of income, but the Philippines is certainly not for everyone for sure!

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,333,917 times
We went for the condo/HOA thing on purpose when we started into snowbirding. Liked it so much we found an HOA-neighborhood of SFH to get out of lawn and snow up north. Now the wife's health has gone south and she can't travel north, so I'm extra grateful for the simplicity of writing a check and not worrying about grounds, pool, exterior maintenance, drives, landscaping, bugs, snow removal (up north) etc., etc.

The sweetest sound in all of nature is somebody else mowing the lawn. I have this nightmare of dying and hearing this: " Welcome to Hell. Here's your weed-whipper."

Some people LOVE their yard work. Not me.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 AM

17,393 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
MY SFH home owners has been anywhere from $4500 to $1550 a year. I have been canceled 3 times since 2006. I am 18ish miles from the coast. My HOA is $900 a year plus whatever additional assessments they charge when they decide to sue.

If you have a condo, the outside insurance is included in your HOA fees and you have to pay the inside condo insurance individually. But if storms come through and do damage you can count that (1) your HOA fee will go up to cover the new outside insurance rates for the future and (2) there will be an additional assessments for repairs (new roofs, etc). One would think the cost is divided amongst all who live there.

Would be interesting to hear what others say.
Very scary proposition, the uncertainty of storms, hurricanes, and, on the west coast, damage from earthquakes, all leading to higher HOA fees and special assessments.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 AM

17,393 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
We've lived in a gated subdivision with about 600 homes for 17 yrs now in the Philippines with at least 10 security armed guards 24/7! It's pretty safe!
But, but, but! Can you trust the 3rd world armed security guards? I read about this issue, once, in Mexico with a community with security guards who were tipping off the outside burglars as to when the occupants weren't at home! Some, away from their homes for weeks, months!

I'm increasingly concerned about the impact of the lowering of the fertility rates around the world, particularly in these countries who are now, so dirt cheap to retire in. The Philippines still has the highest fertility rate in SE Asia, but now that the Church has allowed birth control pills, this will change, and even without that. And if this excess population has a choice some day, to work as a maid/cook for an American expat or emigrate to a country that will pay more, good-by Philippines!

My cousin retired in Thailand and its fertility rate has now sunk to 1.3, and they're now looking next door to Cambodia to fill more of their jobs. Vietnam's fertility rate is now around 1.8 and the rest of SE Asia will eventually follow suit and, thus, look to inflation, more costly to live there, and even Mexico with its sinking fertility rate!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 AM

Kind of weird/gruesome to base one's safety and standard of living in a foreign country on it's fertility aka death rate!
We are doing fine living in the Philippines! We don't think about what the fertility rate is, because it's never published in those terms, but just what the inflation rate is for the country and as long we can afford to live here, here we shall stay!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 9,271,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Kind of weird/gruesome to base one's safety and standard of living in a foreign country on it's fertility aka death rate!
We are doing fine living in the Philippines! We don't think about what the fertility rate is, because it's never published in those terms, but just what the inflation rate is for the country and as long we can afford to live here, here we shall stay!
I could never live in the Philippines or for that matter any place where, in your own words, I needed the equivalent of 10 security guards and a gated community to feel safe. Even though I have not retired and do not expect to do so for over a decade, I have purchased my retirement home. The area in which it is located is here in the good ole' USA in a place where there is low property crime and extremely low violent crime.

Some may see nothing wrong with living in a little fantasy island they have created for themselves in a literal sea of poverty. I could never live that way.

As far as security goes, I'm more at ease with the notion of homeowners arming themselves than I am with the gated community, secured by guards. For want of a better word, I'll just I am an American and I find that very un-American.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 AM

8,195 posts, read 11,911,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
As far as security goes, I'm more at ease with the notion of homeowners arming themselves than I am with the gated community, secured by guards. For want of a better word, I'll just I am an American and I find that very un-American.
You do realize that there are plenty of gated communities "located here in the good ole USA" that are secured by armed guards, right?

For want of a better word, I'll just say that you are uninformed. (Although I really can think of plenty of better words, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or