Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

it is rarely bad markets that hurt folks , it is their own lack of interest ,knowledge and a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
That said, most people are incredibly ignorant to the real world.

Simply put, if you don't know about the performance of the market, it's your fault for being ignorant.
Actually, for some of us the "real world" isn't all money all the time and to think that those with other worldly interests are ignorant is, in itself, both ignorant and arrogant in my opinion.

Perhaps not everyone's life revolves around the almighty dollar. Some of us may have broader interests.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
^^^ This

Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, for some of us the "real world" isn't all money all the time and to think that those with other worldly interests are ignorant is, in itself, both ignorant and arrogant in my opinion.

Perhaps not everyone's life revolves around the almighty dollar. Some of us may have broader interests.
Curmudgeon, I think I love you. Oooops, you are taken. So am I.

But I am constantly surprised by the number of people who seem obsessed with money money money and the ups and downs stock market. I NEVER come across this in real life. In real life people talk about gardening, food, tv, books, pets, travel, vacations, so many things, including little things in their daily lives. This obsession with money and looking down on people who don't worship the almighty dollar is getting boring. But carry on.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

But I am constantly surprised by the number of people who seem obsessed with money money money and the ups and downs stock market. I NEVER come across this in real life. In real life people talk about gardening, food, tv, books, pets, travel, vacations, so many things, including little things in their daily lives. This obsession with money and looking down on people who don't worship the almighty dollar is getting boring. But carry on.
I don't think folks are as focused as forum posting might seem. That is what they care to talk about in retirement forums. We have little idea how most of us spend our days etc. I doubt if many want to hear about most of our daily activities. We all respond to thread titles that interest us and not to those who don't. I assume those participating and reading threads about finances are themselves also interested in finances and the discussion of. I would agree that real life discussions are about things other than money unless one chose to attend a financial planning course or a financial forum/seminar.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I agree, i can spend endless amounts of time on financial forums but my actual daily time is spent with the grandkids and our photography.

We just got back this week from a photography trip to montreal. It was just fabulous.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I agree, i can spend endless amounts of time on financial forums but my actual daily time is spent with the grandkids and our photography.

We just got back this week from a photography trip to montreal. It was just fabulous.
Yup, no beach today bad storm and in between to darn hot and humid. Tomorrow should be worse along with Saturday. Fall is coming and school starts Monday so the crowds are down and big time next week and really big after Labor Day. Oh well I am the thread OP so I better get back on topic. To bad the photography thread is no longer a sticky. Really enjoyed your photo's.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:

::::sigh:::: Yup. Taken is us! I only ran across it with two people in my life which out of about 60 years at the time isn't a lot. Although, come to think of it, I believe my father rather obsessed over it but since we never really talked I can't say for sure. He never said anything and never taught me anything so who knows?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:

It's not always about money.
Some follow it because they like the world of finance.
It's interesting.

I used to read the Wall Street Journal daily while riding the train to work in NYC.
I still like to read Barrons every now and then.

It's not always about money.
It's part of the bigger "finance" world.
I like to read the BLS reports and the Fed minutes.

And in real life people do talk about the stock market.
But it wasn't from a money, money, money aspect.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM

^^^^^^^ Some just want a more detailed knowledge base of what drives so much of life's events. As said many times in this forum economic events have disrupted many of our lives. Best to understand and try to avoid what you can and understand how to best recover when poop hits the fan. I think all of this is compatible with In NewEnglands comments as most of those things cost money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement