U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 PM

6,318 posts, read 3,579,899 times

Advertisements

We've also noticed when traveling that asking locals about nearby sites often just gets a shrug or a, "Dunno. Never been there." It's surprising but looking at "stuff" isn't everyone's cup of tea.

We live a two hour's drive from the state science museum and that has presented many opportunities to view things we would have had to travel long distances to see. The two huge ones for me were artifacts from King Tut's tomb including the famous death mask and the Dresden Codex, one of only three known existing books left from the Mayan culture. Big wow.

I found a site online that suggests little driving tours along with ideas for where to eat ethnic food and on our list of to-do things is a drive through the Dutch settlements in IA. Husband's father came to IA from Holland in 1931.

Nearly daily I check my webcams for a look at Old Faithful, a beach in the Caribbean I enjoy, Venice Beach and other places I've visited to get a small vacation refresher. This computer is a godsend. With it you can "tour" nearly any place you'd like to visit as well.

We've done our home state nearly to death but with the season changes different visits offer different views and activities. Over the years we've begun to add an interest in the state's history into our travels and that adds yet another new perspective.

Heck, we've even see the "other" World's Largest Ball of Twine not so far from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
I waited less than a week after my birthday to visit Lassen Volcanic National Park and buy the lifetime visitor pass. Next summer we plan to go to Yellowstone again, and will visit Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park far more often now that it will be free. When m wife and I were first married, before kids, we'd often take off on unplanned road trips overnight to see new places. After planning vacations carefully to work around the kids and their various activities (and schools) it's nice to be able to do that again.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
I really want to do all of that. One problem is how to go about it. I am in a new city and I don't drive. There are some places I can take a bus to but that's pretty limiting. I joined a senior center hoping they would have trips planned both day and short over nighters but they don't. They did however, steer me towards an AARP group that does those things that meets at their facility the third Thursday of each month so in September I will be there. Hopefully I can hook up with them.

Meantime I am going to try to get to the wonderful Cleveland art museum which is not too far but it's kind of a hike up a hill from the bus. I just need a buddy to go to the many things Cleveland has to offer. Like the best theater district outside New York.

I am seriously thinking that when my lease is up of considering an over 62 community in my area. They offer a lot of access to activities along with housing for those who qualify financially. I know many people here frown upon those places as being too regimented but I think for someone in my position it would be ideal. There would be people and activities all around and the support system I lost in my cross country move could possibly be regained.

Also if I were to fall and be unconscious for days I wouldn't have to worry about the cat eating my face.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:42 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You have missed more than a few interesting places. Massachusetts, I'd wager, has more history and culture per square foot than any other state. Not only that, but it's cheap and you can sleep in your own bed.

List of museums in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very true, but waiting til I'm old.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I really want to do all of that. One problem is how to go about it. I am in a new city and I don't drive. There are some places I can take a bus to but that's pretty limiting. I joined a senior center hoping they would have trips planned both day and short over nighters but they don't. They did however, steer me towards an AARP group that does those things that meets at their facility the third Thursday of each month so in September I will be there. Hopefully I can hook up with them.
Google Cleveland meetup and go to their page. Enter Senior in the Meetup Search.
They have a large Adventures by Bus group

Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Google Cleveland meetup and go to their page. Enter Senior in the Meetup Search.
Thank you! I didn't know about this and I thought I had Googled everything.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I found this website which has a bunch of very neat places. Perhaps some are reachable by bus.

I was surprised to see a cemetery listed as a top attraction, but it looks like a neat place. They do offer bus tours according to their website.

11 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Cleveland | PlanetWare

http://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/index.php

Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I found this website which has a bunch of very neat places. Perhaps some are reachable by bus.

I was surprised to see a cemetery listed as a top attraction, but it looks like a neat place. They do offer bus tours according to their website.

11 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Cleveland | PlanetWare

Lakeview Cemetery
Thanks for both of these. Lots to look into. I began with the Senior Center which was king of dormant in the summertime but they are now more active as well. Same with AARP. So now I can begin to branch out. I am going to stick to those that I can get to by public transportation but I notice some will hook you up with people who live in your area to get you to the meeting places. I also would like to just do a bit of socializing and just talk to people. The one thing I miss about Portland is my friends. But of course I expected that.

At least I will be getting my new kitty soon.

You guys gave me a great head start. What did we do before the Internet?

Oh and P.S. I love cemetery tours. New Orleans has great ones. If you are ever there I highly recommend taking one. It's a real art and history lesson.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 AM

9,200 posts, read 9,278,507 times
You can't ask for better traveling and sightseeing than in Utah. I hesitate to say anything because too many people have already learned that.

We have five national parks: Zion; Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, and Capitol Reef. Much of our state is also national forest.
My second home in Ivins, Utah is within one mile of a state park and forty miles of a national park. A twenty mile road trip will take me past a trail to collection of Indian petroglyphs, natural caves, and a huge forest of Joshua trees on the Utah/Arizona border.

Some of the best boating in the country is at Lake Powell which is mostly in Utah. Although, the dam that forms Lake Powell is next to Page, Arizona. For those who don't want to bring their own boat or rent, sightseeing trips are available on the lake that will take tourists to the largest natural bridge in the world, Rainbow Bridge.

I will say this: Sightseeing in Utah involves seeing a lot of red rock formations> If that doesn't interest you, the Beehive state is not the best place to visit. Also, you have to be fit enough to do at least a modest amount of walking to see the majority of the sights.

All of this can be done economically. The greatest expense is gasoline, food, and lodging. Those things plus a functioning automobile and GPS (road map for those of us who became adults before the computer age) will get you anywhere you want to go.

The only irony of what I am saying is that we are planning a trip next year to Spain and Portugal.

http://www.utah.com/

Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,226,672 times
Totally agree- here in the upper midwest we have Mt Rushmore, the black hills, Yellowstone, Door county in Wisconsin, the Great Lakes, all manner of wonderful places to hike and camp, as well as all the attractions of Minneapolis and Chicago.
My plan, once I retire, is to spend a a couple of months every year to road trip and see all the national parks- on the cheap of course, camping the whole way. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement