U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 AM

9,589 posts, read 10,942,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
My plan, once I retire, is to spend a a couple of months every year to road trip and see all the national parks- on the cheap of course, camping the whole way. Can't wait!
I'd rather have chronic diarrhea.

I like being home with my pets, my books, and all the other things that make life pleasant. There's plenty to do that allows you to get home every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,846 posts, read 54,552,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd rather have chronic diarrhea.

I like being home with my pets, my books, and all the other things that make life pleasant. There's plenty to do that allows you to get home every night.
Well now, you live in Cody. I have been there several times, and I'd probably stay around home more if I lived there too, as long as I had a snowmobile for winter fun.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,229,362 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree- I am definitely a "traditional" homebody, but also, home is however you define it. In a larger sense, especially since my dogs and at least a couple of books travel with me- home is wherever we are, as long as we are together, that = home, what is most important to me

Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,976 times
Just went to Mt Rushmore. However can't drive there.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,756,785 times
Quote:
As I previously posted, a couple of weeks ago I returned from a three and a half week road trip during which I drove about 5,300 miles and saw many cousins, museums, and other sights. Life was NOT unpleasant (for me) while on the road. And of course several books traveled with me. In fact life was very good on the road because I was interested in what I was doing and seeing and I enjoyed it.

However, I was glad to get home after that amount of time. Being on the road can be pleasant within certain time limits, which will vary for all of us.

Folks who find life pleasant ONLY while at home should stay at home.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 AM

9,589 posts, read 10,942,364 times
Years ago I saw a movie that was a satire of Fu Manchu movies. It was a terrible movie, but there was one thing in it that I found most appealing. Fu's perennial nemesis, Nayland Smith, lived in a flying house. When he had to go after Fu he simply used the house as a vehicle. He took off in it and landed at the appropriate destination. If I could have a house like that along with my attached fenced yard I'd be as happy as Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,011 times
Quote:
It seems that amost all of us have beeen equating travel and sightseeing with faraway places. I'm always reading comments by oldsters here about their favorite places on the other side of the world or about their cruises to obscure and often crime-ridden tropic hellholes. I've read comments about wishing to visit museums and other sights from so many with no background knowledge who can't possibly appreciate them. ...
How many museums and historic sites are within a hundred miles of your home? How many have you visited? How many restaurants? How many geological, zoological, and botanic sites? How many restaurants of possible interest? How many unusual stores? Gold is where you find it. The local County Treasurer's office here has a fascinating display of Wyoming license plates from the beginning to the present. It's not a museum, but it may very well be unique.

Travel and tourism need not be expensive or onerous; the grass isn't always greener in Wangchou.
Just a response to a few of your points.

Many of those faraway places are not hellholes. Many give you a unique perspective on the world and contain treasures of all kinds in museums that are unlike any we have here in North America. Yes, you can see beautiful Asian collections, for example, in some museums here, but nothing like some of the wonderful sites of Asia itself.

And nothing can beat visiting some of the spectacularly unique cities of the world--Rio de Janeiro, Rome, London, Barcelona, Istanbul.

That being said, I'm all for seeing and appreciating the beauty and culture of our own backyards. But of course, if you have no background knowledge to appreciate museums, then it doesn't matter if they are local or abroad, does it?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM

28,266 posts, read 39,934,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
New England is a small enough area geographically that one could explore three or four states pretty widely in just a week's time. Or be in Boston, NYC, Portland, midcoast Maine etc for an overnight or two (our preference). When we come back from a much longer trip we're usually drained and a year later can barely remember the experience. That's just us. We're not great travelers, but we like a change of scene. Of the New England states, we like Maine the best and in four or five hour drive can be there. There are online "radius" maps on which you can draw a circle of miles or driving distance around a point. Our limit is five or six hours. Five better, generally. The great wonders of the world we prefer to see in videos—a lot less wear and tear.
This is how we discovered Eureka Springs, Arkansas. We wanted to go some place new and decided an 8 hour max drive was our limit.

I opened a map of the US (paper) and we figured out a radius of an estimated 8 hour drive. Using a compass I drew a circle using that radius. Eureka Springs was in that circle.

I recommend visiting there. We went on and of for years. Pick the right time and you end up in the middle of a huge blues festival. Also very gay friendly. Tons of shops and great places to eat.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 PM

17,423 posts, read 21,267,665 times
Most people don't realize just how taxing foreign travel can be, unless you're one of these people who do it all with tours/cruises, which has never had any appeal to me.

Over the years, I've got all my exhausting foreign travels out of the way and now my travels are shrinking by the day. Largely ignorant of local attractions, I'm now discovering what's closer to me and enjoying it all. Years ago, I never would have thought I'd get so tickled flying to L.A. for a couple days!

As Oscar Wilde would say: Simple pleasures are the last refuge of the complex! And? Nothing exceeds like excess!

I hear so many say: I want to explore my own country first, before going across the Atlantic or Pacific, but if you leave that go to our retirement years, you're in for some big surprises and shocks!

My sister left 2 dream trips to England and New Zealand (to visit her husband's relatives) go up in smoke, as they're both in their late 60's, and in no form or shape to make these trips now!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,756,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

My sister left 2 dream trips to England and New Zealand (to visit her husband's relatives) go up in smoke, as they're both in their late 60's, and in no form or shape to make these trips now!
Specifically, why or how are you sister and her husband "in no form or shape to make these trips..."? I am not questioning or doubting the accuracy of your statement; I am just curious about the reasons, or the problems, people have "in their late 60's" which make long flights such a problem. (Also, I am not questioning that long flights are tedious in the extreme. I do not like to sit still, never have, but I think I could deal with it about as well now at age 70 as I could when I was 28.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement