U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM

8,009 posts, read 7,295,370 times

Advertisements

I've heard that most of them aren't built to handle the elderly as they age and have mobility issues. Here are some considerations for residents who have to live with wheelchairs.

Ramps and wider doorways.
Rails outside and grab bars inside.
Door levers instead of door knobs to accomodate arthritis.
Walk-in showers or tubs that open up to get the legs through.
Elongated and elevated toilets.
Lower counters and sinks.
Appliances and cabinets at accessible heights.
Intercom or some communication system to the main house that can be heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
I love the idea - at this stage of my life I would "rent" it to a student in exchange for lawn work, maid service, errand running and later use it for are caregiver when I needed one.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,156,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Some cities/municipalities have zoning that prevents this. I think Raleigh is one. You are prevented from having two kitchens on one properrty. So short-sighted.
Those laws date from when people in declining neighborhoods would turn their homes into boarding houses. They'll change (but not without pressure from people who want to house elderly relatives in nice new homes).

Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
This is how I grew up -- surrounded by folks who adapted their property so an aging parent could live separately - but still within the home. Many folks also had arrangements so their adult child could live at home while attending college (we have a lot of good universities and community colleges in this region - communting and working was very common).

Folks had arrangements with walkout basements, additions onto their homes, garage apartments.

As others have mentioned, many towns enacted regs out of concern that neighborhoods were essentially turning into multi-family housing, when properties were eventually rented instead of being a spot for a family member to live.

My first apartment was a garage apartment behind a venerable brick Georgian, with a circular drive out front and additional parking and gardens in the back. Oh my. I thought I was living in a country club estate, lol.

Things will necessarily change. As I have written on this forum in the past, I am seeing McMansions where I live being modified for generational living. It had to happen; too many large homes on the market dating from the early 2000s when anyone could get a mortgage and live in a 4000 + square foot $800K home they couldn't really afford and which they eventually lost.

The concept is certainly not new, but it definitely went out of vogue sometime in the 70s.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Or something like that, lol.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
As an alternative to purchasing a price two-gen home, there are "granny pods" that attach to existing homes and are quite nice. I believe these can be removed at any time—just cart granny away in it on a flatbed truck when her time has come.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
LOL negirl

Those pods have become somewhat of a controversy as well with zoning laws. Just sayin'.

I'm hoping our house big enough for three or four will accomodate not only my mother when it's time but also for me and a caregiver when it's time.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:55 PM

364 posts, read 552,767 times
The older suburbs of DC used to have a lot of granny flats. They were built during WW2 to take advantage of the housing shortage for all the war-workers flooding the city. People made a little extra cash renting out part of their houses. I don't know how many are left since much the older suburbs have been torn down to make way for mini-mansions that fill the buildable area of the lots.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Not new its called a mother-in-law addition here.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My daughter, son in law and I stopped at the Lennar model homes to look at these homes, where you have a little studio attached to a regular size home for an older person to live in. New way to take care of Gramma !

It sounds like a great idea and the models were gorgeous, of course. The in law apt has one bedroom, a sitting area, laundry, kitchenette, bath and a little courtside area outside. It has its own entrance, own garage and is separated from the main house by a door inside the home. My sil thought this was ideal for me, for when I will need help. I am far from that now, and unfortunately, my enthusiasm for moving from my 1776 sf house to a 600 sf place was not appealing. They had a few models, and most of them were around $380,000 plus or minus upgrades. The "big" house was at least 2500 sf so I would not even have a third of it. There were several psople viewing this arrangement and Lennar is anxious to get them sold, so they are taking "offers."

Maybe if I were in my 80s I would love this but right now, the major attraction is that I could lock and leave, and they would watch my pets ! And, I don't know if so much "closeness" would be good for us. There are times (alot of them) that I want my privacy and don't want relatives to come knocking.

Has anyone else seen this arrangement and really liked it enough to purchase? Of course, when the senior person passes, one could always rent the space to someone. It was definitely an eyeopener and an alternative to a nursing home !!!!!
My brother had a similar situation. It was an inlaw added to his house, however HUGE mistake, he left a door unlocked between living areas. Very bad idea, no privacy.
Parents both gone; they paid for the space( and rent, too). Now bro gets rental income.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
It's going to be a party house; wheelchair limbo, cane wrestling. Caregiver must be able to bartend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement