Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times

Advertisements

Admittedly, I like many others daydreamed at one time of living in different lands that all the travel magazines touted as " paradise." I even spent a year, or two researching moving to one. But, as someone pointed out in this discussion, the travel writers write to make a living, and no one would want to read about the downsides of a seeming paradise. I wouldn't imagine a travel writer would last too long in their trade with that sort of publicity. And for those of us that don't have the finances to jet over to New Zealand, or find their way to Vilcambamba, the articles, and videos are all there is for us to base our dreams on.

I may find an exotic location to live, with perfect weather, affordable housing, and a carefree existence, but the sobering reality is I will still be subject to taxes, medical necessity, immigration hurdles, etc.... That on top of navigating customs, nuances, laws, and rules of society of a strange land seems very daunting right now. And at my age, I haven't the physical inertia, nor finances to mount such an endeavor.

To any that think my post is a negative view of finding a faraway place to retire, or that to bounce around looking for the right spot to live is something I disagree with, I would add it is not. Were my circumstances different, and I had youth in my pocket, I believe the lure of excitement would likely draw me to explore this world more. But I have changed, and the world has changed, and I will find happiness in my life, here, in America. As someone once wrote, " Wherever you go, there you are."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
you just need to have a PT husband (pretty ez these days)

But will be pretty difficult to get your honey-doo list done! You might need several PT husbands Maybe one in each country of choice! (works here in Thailand... seems everyone has an extra Thai wife (as well as the one back home, wherever that is)) Thai husbands,,?, They don't seem to be preferred...
Not interested in Thailand, the men are too short!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Not interested in Thailand, the men are too short!

LMAO

Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I took an early retirement. I wanted to get some land and raise some livestock for a while.
I'm in my third year here on the ranch and still loving it. I have no qualms about retiring early on a reduced pension because I couldn't have done this at 60-70.

But I know this isn't final retirement..just a temporary stepping stone.

The next "retirement" ? Well I ponder and dream about it. I give myself another 5 years here on the ranch and then it's time to move on to the next phase of retirement.

A small house on the Texas coast in town, an international retiree..6 months in the US and 6 months in Ireland (condo in US and rent in Ireland), a nomad (rent for 1 year in various cities/states, ..don't know yet but it's sure fun dreaming and reading about.
I can see where that could be fun if a bit frenetic. As a military brat who spent 12 years in the military himself I think I'm in about my 35th home. It was fun while it lasted and I was younger but now I'm home-home and planning to stay until I assume room temperature. My wife, also a military brat, feels the same. I have finally found the perfect place for me to park my wanderlust once and for all. In fact I think it got tossed when I cleaned the garage last week.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-02-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I'm still many years from retirement but I often think about places I'd like to retire. In my most optimistic scenario I'd have a place in the States and a summer/winter setup somewhere overseas. I'm lucky enough to have a job that allows me to see a lot of different places, both short and long term. So far I'm partial to the former Yugoslavia for summer and SE Asia for winter. Both are quite affordable on a typical American retirement and both have fascinating, yet vastly different, cultures. I have no idea how the logistics would work in order to accomplish such an arrangement but I still have time to figure it out.

I'm pretty facinated by the balkans and the landscape is spectacular. I just hope the instability of the past couple decades has worked itself out. As far as SE Asia, I've only visited Vietnam but I plan to hit Thailand and some of the other countries in the neighborhood ASAP. The people in Vietnam were friendly and the place is just fun. I would be concerned about adequate healthcare in my advanced years.

Northern and western Europe are much too expensive to consider for the most part. South Africa is inexpensive and beautiful but the crime seems terrifying. The subdivisions around Johannesburg look like high security prisons except they're designed to keep people out rather than in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement