U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:26 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure people realize how expensive assistant living is and none of it is covered by medicade if the situation gets that bad. I was surprised to learn the cost truthfully.

Yes, op you really need to talk to an attorney and see what can be done for her. If she just needs help getting around check into home health care, maybe just a few hours a day or a few days a week.
...."none of it is covered by medicare"
In many states, Medicaid does assist in the cost of a facility, depending on income/assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 02:50 PM

93 posts, read 96,864 times
hi AlphaBravo.

if your father is still living in the home I wouldn't do anything in regards to the reverse mortgage. even though the home is upside down he can continue to live there mortgage payment free even after your mother moves out.

if your mother is the last person on the reverse mortgage moving out of the house the reverse mortgage comes due. if you're confident the home is upside down you can contact the servicer and tell them you want to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure. speak to the servicer on how exactly it works from there- but I'm pretty sure they'll do an appraisal first. they need that to file the fha mortgage insurance claim which makes them whole from the loss on the loan.

your mom isn't responsible for any loss if the sale of the home doesn't cover the payoff of the reverse mortgage. if the bank (or you) are able to sell the home at a profit however, that money goes to your mother. Once your mother leaves the home I'm not sure if she's still responsible for paying taxes and insurance until the home is sold, I would ask the servicer.

I wouldn't worry about the "maintaining the property" clause if it's just normal wear and tear. however if the reason the house is being sold at a loss is solely because it hasn't been maintained over the years- I'm not sure how the servicer/hfa/hud would handle that.

From my understanding there has also been a recent change in the hecm program that gives direct family members the right to purchase an upside down reverse mortgaged home for 95% of market value. so if the bank does a new appraisal and it comes in at $60k, you as the son can buy the home for $57,000. Not the $78k that is owed on the mortgage.

You may also want to consult with your mothers accountant once the home is sold and the loan is satisfied. I know that since you don't make payments on a reverse mortgage you can't write off the mortgage interest every year on your taxes, however once she pays back all that interest maybe there is some type of tax benefit???

hope that helps,

anicon

Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM

9,991 posts, read 16,658,941 times
Many frail seniors live in 'adult foster care' or 'board and care' homes which are cheaper. They are typically single family dwellings where there is someone to look after residents 24/7, prepare and serve meals. They rarely offer much in the way of socialization. In the west they have licenses but based on my MIL's experience you really need to vet what ever one you are considering very carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement