Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

I'm with biscuitmom. Good wine beats the heck out of birthday cake, cards or gifts. We always open a bottle of champagne on our birthdays and on other special occasions. We exchange cards and gifts, too, but it's low key and nothing too expensive.

Last night was DH's 74th birthday. We went out for a nice meal, and I knew better than to tell the staff it was his birthday because he would absolutely hate having them come to the table and sing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Celebrate! I'm not dead yet!

Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good wine beats the heck out of birthday cake, cards or gifts.
Port is good too, if your birthday falls in a cold-weather month.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
In Asian cultures like China, they traditionally only celebrate every 10 years. When they do celebrate, it can be HUGE.

A friend told me a story how back in the mid-90s, a man had his 60th birthday. His 3 children pooled together $40,000 (forty thousand, with 4 zeros) as a gift to him. He didn't really need the money, so he blew it all on that celebration alone

I can see why some old tymers would prefer to not do them so often.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
I'm in my early 40s, but was never a "birthday" person. Yes, life has certain milestones and it can be fun and rewarding to acknowledge them. But I was never one of these people who felt the need for a day off work or to seek a lot of attention on their birthday. Once I reached 19 and could legally drive, drink, and vote (but not all at the same time), the important ones were complete. I've never really thought about birthdays being a special day of "me" celebration as every single day I walk and breathe is that day.

Maybe this is a carryover tradition from times when it was rare to actually make it to the next one?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I am pretty low on loved ones these days. I have two seniors in my life, an 89-year-old aunt and an85-year-old friend, and they remember my birthday. I would like to have one close person to to out to dinner or something but it's been a while since I've had that and it feels pathetic to search out among the people I do know to find someone to observe my birthday.

My supermarket started carrying beer and wine and cards *everybody* who buys a bottle. Feels pretty silly at 61 for me.

I am more aware of my age when I do my financial calculations, get my pension statement, and work on financial plans to work less and/or retire. Then, getting older is a good thing!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's just wrong. You need new Peeps.
I know. I would if I could but theyre my Outlaws.
Theyre pretty militant about celebrating birthdays. And it has to be on the day.
Lately they dont invite me which is just fine with me.

There are a few good things about my birthday tho.
Im retired now but my old company used to give us a paid day for our birthday.
They also gave us a paid day for Christmas Eve or New Years Eve.
One to a customer depending on senority. This worked out very well for me.
Even when I had no senority I always got both.
Much to the dismay of a few with a lot more senority.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am pretty low on loved ones these days. I have two seniors in my life, an 89-year-old aunt and an85-year-old friend, and they remember my birthday. I would like to have one close person to to out to dinner or something but it's been a while since I've had that and it feels pathetic to search out among the people I do know to find someone to observe my birthday.

My supermarket started carrying beer and wine and cards *everybody* who buys a bottle. Feels pretty silly at 61 for me.

I am more aware of my age when I do my financial calculations, get my pension statement, and work on financial plans to work less and/or retire. Then, getting older is a good thing!

Im pretty low too but Im an introvert so thats okay.
I remember being on another forum where they used to show all the birthdays.
I think City Data has our Birthdays on here someplace. Maybe CD could start showing them here.

Im more aware of my age now too. Im waiting for 66. Reminds me of when we waited to be 21.
I agree older is good.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
ABSOLUTELY! Yes we celebrate! It's another year on the planet! It sure beats the opposite! Plus, I'm going to live to be 120 - so I'm just Middle Aged! I like celebration for any reason. Life is sad and tough enough. Why NOT celebrate?

In Hawaii they still celebrate all the boys' birthdays on May 5 and all the girls' birthdays on March 3. It's an old tradition from Pre-WWII Japan. And it's fun.

Grace - Gratitude - Celebration: Three of Life's greatest secrets. The more you focus there, the happier you are. Without them, your heart dries up into a hard little walnut.

Plus, when you refuse to celebrate with someone who wants to be happy that you are still here and still in their lives, you rip them off. You steal their joy by being a grump. I've lost too many friends in the past decade. It was an honor to celebrate each of their milestones with them. When we celebrated together, I got as much out of it as they did.

NEVER pass up a chance to Celebrate Life.
Good perspective.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I was born on New Years Eve. And Im past 60. I will be 65 on my next birthday.
Everybody celebrates on my birthday. Nobody celebrates my birthday.

I havent gotten a card or a present in years. When I was younger it used to bother me some.
Now Im older its just another day. A card would be nice though. I dont need any more stuff.
I have been known to get an attitude though when Peeps who dont celebrate mine
expect me to get them a card and a gift for theirs. Excuse me. I thought we werent celebrating birthdays.
I do like phone calls. I count them.
Presents are unnecessary though. No place to put anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement