U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM

2,387 posts, read 7,772,407 times

Advertisements

I lived in eastern Alabama for a couple of years in the late 90s, and worked in West Point, GA across the AL state line. I had never lived in the south prior to that time, so took to exploring a lot in my free time. Lots of good and accurate information has already been posted above, and there are a lot of good places in Georgia that are not overrun with tourists, part time residents or retirees. As a result, there are a lot of places in Georgia where costs to buy or rent a modest place to live are reasonable.

I've explored the GA coast from Savannah to the Florida line and there are a number of towns in between that are worth a visit with plenty of things to do, especially for people who like fishing or boating. The area that Montana Griz mentioned above sounds like some of the places I visited.

I also like some of the mountain towns in north Georgia. Blue Ridge was mentioned above, but I also like Clayton and Hiawassee. Summer in Clayton is often pretty comfortable. The evenings and early mornings often cool off enough to open windows and shut off the AC. Hiawassee is just a few miles south of NC, and there are many lakes nearby and lots of state parks and national forest areas.

Georgia has a lot going for it - certainly worth considering if anyone is looking around the southeast for a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 12,402,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Wow this is an interesting thought instead of the typical Florida retirement. Isn't hellishly hot in summer better than hellishly hot year round in Florida?
For now we picked as far south as we could be without having to cross the state line.

Another thing for the average retiree to consider is the cost of homeowners insurance in Georgia vs Florida.

Comparing the average cost of homeowners insurance between Georgia and Florida in 2015 we find the average cost in Georgia is $77.44 monthly vs $165.91 in Florida. That's $88.46 monthly or $1061.64 for the year.

$88.46 monthly or $1061.64 for the year is a lot of money for a retiree. Really a no brainer in my mind.

$88.46 can pay for basic cable television AND internet. That is one way to look at it but my favorite way is to look at it as a "free cruise" every year.

Here's an example

We would pick the Oceanview room because I gotta see out.

$900 for two people plus other charges, cruises always have other charges like port fees and such, and you will bust the budget a little to maybe $1,200 five nights for two for only $150 sounds like a good deal to me.

You can take an interior room and the money saved will pay for the entire trip and even have a little money left over.

You're in Georgia and Cape Canaveral is only four hours away by car. No air fare.

Now the big secret... if you don't have to work and are retired you can get on one of the ships last minute deals and I have seen deals where you can get on FOR LESS THAN HALF THE PUBLISHED PRICE if you can be ready to sail in less than 24 hours.

Sounds good, get away for five days in January and then go again in March. Give you a reason to look forward to Georgia Winter.

Auto insurance is $1,742 in Florida and $1,519 in Georgia. $223 annual savings there.

Property tax rates are about the same but you can generally buy a whole lot more house for $200k in Georgia than you can in Florida.

There's a lot of people who are opting to retire in Georgia just north of the state line.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:16 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,883,191 times
Big holes in using averages. If you compare adjacent counties on either side of the state line, insurance costs will be similar. FL has more coastline and more cities on or very near the coast. Insurance for coastal properties in GA will be about the same. Your link is bad so I can't see where you got that data, but it would also be important to know whether that cost is per a unit of value (like $100k) or if you are comparing average cost of insurance when average cost of homes is likely higher in FL due to so many being beach houses. Anyway, I would need to see some real data, not just a broken link and blatant Carnival ad (are you a travel agent or in some way work for Carnival?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or