U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:51 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,823,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, those were the days... Last I checked they still had carry-on size limits posted at the gates, but when so many passengers are taking the maximum number of the maximum size of carry-on bags that are stuffed to the gills, making those bags even larger, plus one (or two, when they can get away with it) stuffed "personal item", and stuffing them all into the overhead spaces which were not designed to carry all that "stuff", I guess it doesn't matter.

I used to fly a fair amount for work before I retired from that job, and my last three trips were pretty much what I'd call nightmarish. I don't see that flying has gotten any better, when you get nickeled and dimed for everything imaginable after you've paid a fortune for a ticket for a planned itinerary in which you have somewhat less of a fair chance of getting to your destination timely and without incident. Where you give up any semblence of privacy as you even have to inform the TSA agents of your prescription meds if you carry them with you, and go through whatever else they have in mind for the day's entertainment. And so on. Fortunately I now have the luxury to not choose to travel anywhere I have to fly, and that's what both my husband and I have decided. If we can't drive there, we won't go.
I did a lot of travel with my job too, and have also found that flying to destinations has gotten very inconvenient. As other posters have mentioned, getting there on time is a challenge, and I've also lately run into some problems with connecting flights too, giving a whole new level of problems. Fellow passengers aren't as considerate as they were 25 or so years ago either, with a lot of folks bringing massive luggage onto the plane and also being quite loud.

Then there is the problem with rental cars when reaching destinations. Places like New York and Philly have now tacked so many surcharges on rental cars that I've now seen "tax" rates that seem to be about 50-70% of the base rental fee. Then there is the relatively new issue of surcharges for toll booths no longer having toll takers, and these can be significant too:

PlatePass, which works with car rental companies such as Advantage and Hertz, charges customers an “administrative fee” of $2.95 per day, with a maximum of $14.75 per month, starting as soon as you incur your first toll and continuing whether or not you pass through another tollbooth during the course of your rental. Because I rented a car for more than 30 days and I went through a tollbooth on the first day, driving to the airport, I was charged for a full month plus several days of PlatePass as well as tolls.

The Navigator: Toll fees for rental cars add up

So, other than for family visits we only travel to places we can reasonably reach by car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
I follow the 2-2-2 rule.
(Travel 200 miles, arrive by 2 pm, and stay at least 2 nights.)

Don't have to worry about luggage or hotels because I'm driving with them.
Geriatric travel - general discussion of limitations-inside.jpg

Flying - I haven't since 9-10-01. But I'm being nicely 'pestered' to fly up to Montana. Still thinking - don't really want a day of hell like ER.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM

225 posts, read 312,313 times
I am 60. Hubby is 73. We are in good health and work to stay that way. We still travel via motorcycle. I ride pillion.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,372 times
I used to ride on the back of my husband's motorcycle, but in my 50's, I fell off. That was that, at least for trips longer than 10 miles. When we moved to a condo, he sold the thing.

We both have moderate limitations due just to age--joint problems mostly. I recently had a new limitation, which I believe has now largely been taken care of by heart bypass surgery--I'm hoping that once I complete rehabilitation that I will be capable of doing a bicycle or hiking trip, joints willing.

We have done a number of luxury cruises in the last fourteen years, and that was great. But we have recently decided we should take advantage of the mobility we have for as long as possible--we can go back to more sedentary travel later, with some luck. That being said, our next adventure is back to Tahiti, on another luxury cruise. A little sedentary, but I'm still healing from my heart adventure. I will be swimming and snorkeling, but no hiking or biking quite yet.

Sometimes we do combine the two--last fall we did a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona, but spent almost a week traipsing around the city and environs. That spring we traipsed all over Lisbon and Porto, Portugal, climbing and descending the cobblestoned hills until our legs and feet screamed. And this last winter we spent a month in SE Asia. We had the support of tour guides with vehicles, some of the time. We didn't backpack or anything, but we were very active, for a couple of 65 and 70.

This winter in Florida I'll be riding my bicycle around town, doing nature walks and long walks on the beach.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Retire early and travel early...

I fly nearly every week and love it.

I will be more likely to stay put if I eventually get home (Been gone for 7 months with only a carry-on).

I am planning a R-T-W for next yr (before I get too hobbled up), and will follow that with considerably less travel. (no more free miles!)

Kudo's to all elderly travelers who can keep up the pace of jet-setting. I see so many with foot / leg issues enduring airport and scenic places. A friend who is 94 still makes 5+ international trips / yr. She is amazing and hard to keep up with!. She does stairs everyday in her Mtn cottage and drives her Subaru to the Post Office daily.

My Rialta serves as a pretty good Handicap camping van. My mom traded her Roadtrek for one and DH who was amputee was able to wheel right in the side door and get from seat to bed to bath to front.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:21 AM

225 posts, read 230,543 times
My mother is going on 90, and we still take trips by plane at least twice a year. She walks with a cane, but uses a wheelchair at the airport. A lot of people who do not normally use wheelchairs, use wheelchairs at the airport due to all the walking involved.

It is actually difficult to get wheelchairs at the airports at times. We request a wheelchair to meet our flight and often have to wait because all the wheelchairs are in use.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM

19,889 posts, read 18,900,996 times
What worries me is something I've heard about called deep vein thrombosis. (I think that's what they call it.) The person who had it was in her late 60s and flew from some anniversary destination back to England.

It's serious and it's about the last thing I would want to end up with after a wonderful trip. I've heard you may be able to prevent it by getting up and walking around the plane during the flight but I don't know much more that you can do. Anyway, you can't walk that far on a plane. The person in question did recover completely but she was able to get immediate treatment.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Our last big trip involved long flights. We were able to upgrade hubby to first class for one leg of the flight. That helped.

We arranged (supposedly) ahead of time for transport when gate changes were involved. We also arranged (supposedly) for wheelchairs but found (as CLASSY SASSY mentioned) that there often were none waiting for us. I started "scouting" for wheelchairs once in the airport (or at our arrival gate) and managed to always find one or either a transport vehicle would happen by and I would flag them down. Yes, it took a little extra time, but it was worth it.

I make sure connecting flights are hours apart. That way, if my plane is delayed, I won't miss a connecting flight. I have memberships with airlines to use their VIP lounges and that makes life much better. Worth every penny.

I also have learned to pack very lightly as I cannot deal with luggage well (shoulder/back problems). So everything is on wheels. Any carry-ons have been chosen so that I can drape them across the back of a wheelchair. It can get tricky managing a wheelchair plus carry-ons. I found a diaper bag works great, as there are all sorts of outside pockets, where I can put ID, tickets, eye glasses, water bottle, hand sanitizer, tip money, etc. Vera Bradley also makes carryons that work well (cloth, lightweight) and have outside pockets.

Things we take for granted, such as parking and then wheeling luggage to the airline desk, become quite tricky when dealing with a wheelchair. We either valet park or have someone drop us off as close to the departure concourse as possible--Or, I drop off hubby and luggage, go park and then come back to where he is. The logistics have to be thought out ahead of time. If a rental car is involved, it gets even more complicated but good planning and allowing plenty of time keeps things manageable.

Wear slip on shoes, no metal jewelry that will set off alarms. No belts, if possible. I no longer worry about looking chic. I wear black running suits and a pashmina and crocs to travel in! Hubby also wears crocs and a running suit. I use the pashmina as a light blanket, if needed.

We would like to make a trip to Europe in 2015 but not so sure we are ready to face all the juggling with luggage and hassles with airports, in general. And travel for that long in coach -- not my idea of the way to start a vacation.

There are ways to make travel less of a hassle . . .but paying for the services to do so adds up. Hard to manage budget travel and still travel comfortably, IMHO. Others may feel differently but at this stage of life, if I have to go budget, I just don't want to go -- I feel beaten up and exhausted upon arrival. Not good.

The most comfortable travel for us at this point is driving. Also, driving to a port and getting on a cruise. Air travel is challenging, with the best of planning. For me, anyway.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM

1,926 posts, read 994,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What worries me is something I've heard about called deep vein thrombosis. (I think that's what they call it.) The person who had it was in her late 60s and flew from some anniversary destination back to England.

It's serious and it's about the last thing I would want to end up with after a wonderful trip. I've heard you may be able to prevent it by getting up and walking around the plane during the flight but I don't know much more that you can do. Anyway, you can't walk that far on a plane. The person in question did recover completely but she was able to get immediate treatment.
My daughter flies regularly to Australia. She uses a kind of compression stocking made to prevent this

The only thing I can think of worse than 15 hours on an airplane is 15 hours on an airplane compressed

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
One of the problems is with description on destination websites for people with mobility issues. The people who write them seem to think there are only two kinds of people, one with no mobility issues and one in wheelchairs/scooters. They seem to be oblivious to people with canes or walkers. It's a crapshoot when you arrive as to whether you'll actually be able to get where you want to be. For example: Their website/brochure describes something like this, "Just a short walk to X Falls." What's a short walk? A few feet? A half mile? And what kind of walk is it? Is it on pavement? Gravel? Dirt? Is there an incline anywhere?

And how about "Just 5 steps to the viewing platform." Is there some kind of a railing to hold onto? Are the steps made out of stone (slippery when wet)? Have people with knee issues (even worse if you have knee issues and you are short) ever encountered steps that are really high at some outdoor natural attraction? Speaking of high steps, how about some of those trains/trolleys/buses around the park tours.

Also, they don't seem to take into consideration people with mobility issues traveling alone because they brag that you can be dropped off right in front of the XYZ building/monument. They don't tell you that July 95 degree temperature parking is in Outer Slobovia. Not everyone with mobility issues has a handicapped parking tag or a driver to drop them off.

Then there are the hotels with really high sided bathtubs...

And government wildlife refuges with autoloops or wildlife drives, do you think you could mention it on your website or in your brochure? Autoloops or wildlife drives (you just pull over to view the wildlife) are a real plus for people with mobility issues because you don't even have to get out of the car to see the wildlife along the route. Why do we have to call or e-mail to find out if you have one?

And how about the day cruise ships that advertise they are accessible but don't tell you that you have to stand on the dock for a half hour to an hour (people with back problems, people who get dizzy standing out in the hot sun) waiting to board. Would it kill them to put cheap wooden plank benches along the dock so the whole waiting to board line could sit down in order of arrival?

I once stayed at a motel that advertised that you can park right outside your room but didn't mention their check-in office was up a flight of outside stairs on a second floor (I know, crazy, right? The place was nice, too). Oh, they had a ramp but think how steep this ramp had to be to reach a second floor. Even if you made it up the ramp, going down it made the stairs a better option.

I don't expect to be accommodated. I just want their websites/brochures to be more descriptive so I can plan to go/not go/go someplace else.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-01-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement