U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM

19,918 posts, read 18,928,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Same as when I was working.
Stay off the roads as much as possible because of drunks.
Hey-that's what I say too. Stay right where you are and enjoy. Have a few people over if you want but no one should be driving long distances with the drunks.

Anyway, we just had a victory here in Mass for a wonderful employer who treats his workers really well. An evil greedy family member tried to ruin the family business but all the thousands of employees walked out! The customers refused to shop. Boycott for two months and now we have just gotten the good guy back!

The customers enjoy the low prices and the employees enjoy and are motivated by the profit sharing, promoting from within, and bonuses. This guy has helped his employees get surgery and helps kids get through college. It's a chain of 71 grocery stores and it seems to be one of the last examples of really fair treatment for all. It's win-win. His victory occurred just before Labor Day! They are saying that Harvard Business School will be studying this one for years, lol.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,604,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hey-that's what I say too. Stay right where you are and enjoy. Have a few people over if you want but no one should be driving long distances with the drunks.

Anyway, we just had a victory here in Mass for a wonderful employer who treats his workers really well. An evil greedy family member tried to ruin the family business but all the thousands of employees walked out! The customers refused to shop. Boycott for two months and now we have just gotten the good guy back!

The customers enjoy the low prices and the employees enjoy and are motivated by the profit sharing, promoting from within, and bonuses. This guy has helped his employees get surgery and helps kids get through college. It's a chain of 71 grocery stores and it seems to be one of the last examples of really fair treatment for all. It's win-win. His victory occurred just before Labor Day! They are saying that Harvard Business School will be studying this one for years, lol.
My DH is from that area and has been following the story in the Lawrence Eagle Tribune paper online. Very interesting. Even made The Washington Post business section.

As for me, Labor Day always meant the next day was the start of a new school year. This is my second one after retiring from the school system. Last year we celebrated with a trip to Europe, landing in Milan about when my friends were heading into school. This year, very quiet day. Family didn't even come down to the lake so we are just enjoying the nice day with a good book and wine and cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,263,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It doesn't seem to matter what the distance you drive, a drunk driver can get you two inches from home. The other day I saw a bumper sticker that read: "A drunk driver killed my son. I'm MADD". I wanted to tell the driver that I know the feeling.

Meanwhile, I've been reading about the grocery chain that you are discussing in the news. It is a very happy outcome.

Everyone please enjoy the holiday and stay safe.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:17 PM

71,956 posts, read 71,997,171 times
I saw on tv that 45% of all accidents involve drinking or drugs.

Now i am not the brightest knife in the draw but doesn't that mean it is safer to drive drunk? The other 55% of accidents are straight people.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:24 PM

19,850 posts, read 19,959,826 times
This morning, having no calendar, it meant that big ribbon up on the right side of my computer screen informed me that I had to cancel my plan to go to the bank.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:04 PM

88,124 posts, read 3,675,092 times
Too many people in the grocery store for a Monday, and no mail delivery!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,534,226 times
Before retirement it only meant a day/weekend to stay off the highways. In retirement, the same.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,038,486 times
In the "old days", Labor Day was the last day of the summer vacation for most kids. Nowadays, schools are starting as early as August 1st.

I don't think that a lot of people travel as much on the holiday.

However, it is the first week of travel discounts in meant resort areas.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM

39,592 posts, read 47,862,313 times
We're retired. All holidays are spent the same way. Stay home recline in the recliner, read the paper, watch TV/DVD, rest and relax. Don't miss the mail delivery as it mostly contains junk, like ads for hearing aid,s cremation, siding for the house, or just wanting to siphon off my bank account. All are travel/shopping time is during the week days.
A policeman friend told me that, at least in our area, that they find 1 out of 3 people driving today are impaired.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,332,910 times
If Labor Day didn't fall on September 1 (opening of dove season), it was a normal work day for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or