U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,168,085 times

Advertisements

The important thing is to get a house so small that when your kids become unemployed bums they won't move back in with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Twice the house, for half the price, surrounded by fantastic scenery and natural beauty.

That was what we did.

That's what we did as well. It sure beats half the house for three times the price and having to drive to scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The important thing is to get a house so small that when your kids become unemployed bums they won't move back in with you.
All bedrooms but ours are dedicated to other purposes so there's no room at the inn Darn!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Assuming you are retiring and will be moving out of your current state to another.

Would you more likely purchase twice the house for half the price in an area that isn't all that exciting or dynamic . . . or would you move to half the house for twice the price that is in an area with fantastic scenery and natural beauty? Assume the climates are similar.

For example, a 10-20 year old house for $150k in an area you are not all that excited about or a 30-40 year old house for $250k that is in an area with varied and dynamic scenery.
My next house will be my last. So I'm gonna live where I like the area.
If I don't like the area, why on earth would I move there?
But my goal is 1/2 the house for 1/2 the money. I sure as heck don't need a 4 bedroom house anymore

Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,952,643 times
Quote:
Assuming you are retiring and will be moving out of your current state to another.

Would you more likely purchase twice the house for half the price in an area that isn't all that exciting or dynamic . . . or would you move to half the house for twice the price that is in an area with fantastic scenery and natural beauty? Assume the climates are similar.

For example, a 10-20 year old house for $150k in an area you are not all that excited about or a 30-40 year old house for $250k that is in an area with varied and dynamic scenery.
I'd take a smaller house in a better area (out of the two options given), but you can have both. I moved to Colorado (not yet retiring). Spectacular views and very reasonable costs of living, assuming you aren't comparing from OKC or Texas. It is possible to have it all if you do very thorough research, classify wants and needs, and have a good organizational system for doing the research.

Last edited by lurtsman; 09-02-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 AM

880 posts, read 1,753,871 times
1/2 the house for 1/2 the money plus my taxes go from 12k to less than 6k.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Bigger house, closer to amenities, no more snow, no more stairs, huge pond with a dock. Way more money.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,062 times
We're in the more than 5, less than 10 year retirement range.

We were thinking of downsizing from NY and getting a place on the coast in Maine. We'd break even on the cost. Unfortunately after looking this summer while on vacation we came to realize the lifestyle change would be too much plus we would still need to spend on a winter getaway.

Enter Plan B, we're going to look next summer at some year round spots along the Mid-Atlantic. We're thinking if we like what we see, maybe downsize the property and house but upgrade/upscale the location and amenities. Perfect situation would be two-thirds less property, one-third less house, and no more than one-third more cost.

If we are going to live for 25-30 years in retirement I'd like it to be some place really nice.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:25 AM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
Is the 30-40 year old house going to be a lot more upkeep? And are things going to start going wrong with it? I live in an older house and sometimes I WISH I had a nice new house with new everything and nothing to worry about. Our house could stand new plumbing, new wiring, etc. We've already done new roof, refinished the hardwoods, etc. But would be nice to live in a new house where NOTHING needed to be done. I know a NEW house wasn't either of your choices, but I'm just wondering if the older house is going to need more work than you are willing or able to do?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Good point, luzianne. This place was built in 1911. New place 1976. It will be the newest house I have ever lived in. Half the acreage, too.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Twice the house for half the money or half the house for twice the money?Assuming you are retiring and will be moving out of your current state to another.
Half the house in twice the locations.

Snowbirding:
A small place in the Catskills (or Adirondacks) May into September
A small place on the Gulf Coast (Ft Myers?) October into April
A bit of Spring/Fall roadtripping adventure on the migration routes between
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or