U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'd go with the house that has beautiful scenery. I wake up everyday and feel blessed to be where I am. It's great seeing natural beauty around you.
That was our choice. Although we bought the lots with the scenery a number of years ago and built the house on it. AND picked the location because we loved the area and the people we've met here.

Not a huge house, ( 2000 sq. feet), but set up well for old folks. We still feel blessed to wake up here, and love it even more as time goes on. And we never get tired of seeing the flora and fauna, as well as the natural beauty of the place.

Can't beat that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM

6,865 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Easy for us: We went with less than half the house for twice the $$$ (or more). We could have lived like princes in a house in Houston for the same dollars it takes to buy a condo right in the middle of Philadelphia. And there we'd sit in our McMansion. Houston can't offer the restaurants, the culture, the performing arts, the drinking spots, the shopping, the grocery stores, the markets, the doctors, and more that we now have within walking distance of our front door here in Philly. As far as I'm concerned, you get what you pay for, and you pay for what you want.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,726,764 times
When money is no object and you are not concerned with being able to finance your retirement without worry, than obviously #2. If however, you are concerned about having enough to retire on, I would consider #1. We all want the best of both worlds and would prefer to live in an area that has the type of scenery we enjoy. But if you have to make a decision and can't have both as you would like, than the "safety" factor to me would be the next consideration I would have. In fact, that would be #1 on my list in choosing.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:02 PM

158 posts, read 149,738 times
Interesting, relevant topic, as so many boomers are now downsizing. And, as modhatter says, we all want the best of both worlds!

In our case, we chose 1/2 the square feet (in our current condo), though twice the cost of our old, four-bedroom home. And we're quite satisfied. San Diego's sunny, outdoors lifestyle is just what we needed after the frozen upper midwest of our working lives.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM

6,577 posts, read 8,112,647 times
Twice the noise at twice the money. We are homebodies with parents now with us and are living where we want near other family members. Being able to do so is priceless,

Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,303,949 times
Neither. I want a Condo with an elevator that is maybe 1300 square feet, in Queens By the Subway, for 350k-450k.

Last edited by LIFL; 09-02-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,528,456 times
I'd prefer half the house for twice the money for the better setting - especially if the house was only $250K which is not that much for a home in most locales. But then I am single and don't need all that much room. And I will probably be doing this when I retire as I plan to move from an inexpensive southwest area to the pricey PNW. I can't afford to pay double over my current home but will end up with a mortgage in retirement which was not my initial plan. But rather than an older home, I want a newer townhome that is more energy efficient and easier on upkeep. Am hoping that the lower utilities, lawn upkeep, and maintenance costs will help compensate for the mortgage.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:33 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,166,278 times
Half the house for twice the money. I don't need a place for the kids to move back into in their thirties; I do need the beauty of the surroundings; and I *hope* I don't need the money.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,214,683 times
Location, location, location.

Net worth, net worth, net worth.

I wanted to be ON the water. I compromised and bought on the water but obscured by our nature trail. Big mistake. I think about it all the time even though everybody said "OH once you get to FL you won't care about seeing water." Wrong, in my case.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
I owned and sold both 10 years ago and have been following the trend on both.

The small house with the great location continues to nicely appreciate.

The large home on a corner lot 15 minutes away has not lost value and that is about it.

I saw the family that bought the small house a few weeks ago and she is very happy... location is convenient to everything and located in the city limits of a small 30k town that is desirable.

I've heard the family that bought the big house is satisfied too... they took in extended family and the extra bath, large family room and basement are being used... so the utilitarian value works for them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or