U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,629,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You can be well off as a bored accountant and still be a musician. In fact, you can use the money you make to buy better equipment. To me, having something you look forward to after work, makes the job okay. One of my retirement program teachers is a career engineer (totally unrelated to music) who is around 62. He's been playing in bands with paid gigs since he was in junior high school. Everyone in his band is old but they love it.

Photography is my hobby. Would I like it as much if it was my job? I don't think so.
The only problem with the above is when you put actual photographers out of business because to you it is just for entertainment, while for us it is our day job.

It is one thing to remain on hobbyist status, meaning not looking to make money off of this, and a whole other situation when you what to make money off your hobby, but refuse to study the other industry you want to make money off of (e.g. music, photography, design etc). There is NOTHING wrong with doing what you said, the "wrong" happens when amateurs don't learn about licensing photography, and don't value their work enough to charge what others charge in their area because they're "hobbyists", and think they can't. What they forget is that "photography" is pretty darn visual...it is harder to determine if an accountant is any good when most people don't know that much math, than it is to determine if a photographer is any good, when you can see their work right away. These hobbyists have been lowering the prices on the excuse "they're just amateurs", or on the technicality that they have 500 friends who want them to take their photos because they assume they should do it for free or nothing cause they're "friends"! and they did that to the point where we can't make a living out of it anymore. I don't think people should assume the right to put someone out of business "just cause" they can buy a camera too! We don't have the accounting job, or the dentist office to support buying our equipment, we have to buy our equipment out of what we make out of our business/job/career as photographers. Plus pay for our advertising/marketing, plus insurance, etc etc etc...

You wouldn't do your job as an accountant for free...yet we are asked to work for free all the time because "X" did it, and when we look at "X's" work and realize they're not a pro, we have to waste our time explaining why we cannot work for such amounts! So instead of us being able to do our jobs like you do your accounting job, we have to explain why as a pro I cannot work for free! The assumption now is that everyone in photography is a hobbyist, which could not further from the truth. It sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,598,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

If I could send a message to other countries, it would be to stop coming here thinking you'll succeed; the stories of success are not that many anymore, and if you're going to be poor already, coming here will only make you poorer! Work harder to make your own country better. This country is going to hell at the pace it is treating it's people!
I can assure you my friend that you are mistaken on the most fundamental level.Where I live I am surrounded by people from other countries or one generation down. Yes some aren't going to make it, but a lot succeed on their own terms & many of the next generation do very well if they don't lose themselves in drugs or other distractions.

Just going to a hospital here it seems that 75% of the doctors under 45 yo are Asian heritage, a lot of their parents ran delis & newsstands & restaurants. This neighborhood used to be all Irish, Italian, Greek & Jewish when I was growing up, now it is Latino, Korean, Middle Eastern, Filipino & all are working at whatever they can, 2 jobs at a time in some cases like my dad did, so they can head out to the nicer suburbs & own a house in 10-15 years. There is a 9 story building going up next to me, full of tradesmen daily, almost never hear English spoken... that is until the Chinese concrete guys need to communicate with the Mexican carpenters or the Iranians overseeing the project. Most will do ok in the long run.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 PM

11,951 posts, read 20,426,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Most of my life has been a financial struggle. Never had a whole lot of money/pinched pennies. Not so bad recently, but retirement will bring me back to making nickels scream. But I've generally been very happy with my life because I was doing something with my life that I enjoyed, and I've learned to be content whatever my circumstances. Besides, lots of money doesn't guarantee security.
And because you know how to be frugal and happy, you will be able to do it again. People who've never had to make nickels scream are freaked out by it.

My mother led a very comfortable adult life until my father died, but her frugality borne out of the Depression served her well. She never had a ton of money, but she could come out to visit me when she wanted, and had several trips to Europe with Elder Hostel, and had plenty of nice clothes in her closet.

She shopped a lot, but when she bought clothes whatever it was had to work with everything in her closet. All her clothes could be dressed up or down. All her clothes were in a good color palette for her.

If it didn't work -- it went back. That's why she never shopped at Goodwill -- they don't take returns.

Her friends called my mother the Queen of Returns.

She lived on some small investment returns, and a widows Social Security and saved a portion of that every month. She cooked her own food and grocery shopped almost daily, picking the sale meats if she could. She used every bit of what she bought -- no waste.

She planned things out in advance, and saved for them.

She taught me a lot... and while I am saving money and hope to never HAVE to do this, I do it now anyway.... because you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or