U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times

Advertisements

My favorite thoughts about aging come from Monty Python. Lyrics for those who like to sing along. From the excellent TV show of the same name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLQ8eQQ0_is

Lyrics to One Foot In The Grave

They say I might as well face the truth,

That I am just too long in the tooth,
I've started to deteriorate,
And now I'm past my own sell-by date.

Oh I am no spring chicken it's true,
I have to pop my teeth in to chew,
And my knees are starting to know,
I've just got too many miles on the clock.

So I'm a wrinkly, crinkly, set in my ways
It's true that my body has seen better days,
But give me half a chance and I can still misbehave
One foot in the grave.
One foot in the grave

[Instrumental]

So I'm losing my hair
And my spine's a bit kinked
I may be rare, but I'm not yet extinct
I'm an oldie, moldy, too old to rave
One foot in the grave
One foot in the grave

[Instrumental]

They tell me I am well past my prime,
The landlord in the sky's calling time,
But there's one thing that he aught to know
I am not yet ready to go

I know I'm old but I'm not a freak,
I should be cherished like an antique,
But every time I have a slight cough,
I'm worried they'll start switching me off.

So I'm a wrinkly, crinkly but don't send a cheer,
I'm not exactly a little old dear,
But one things for sure I'm still bloody well here.

One foot in the grave
One foot in the grave.
One foot in the grave.

[ These are One Foot In The Grave Lyrics on Lyrics Mania ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,036,351 times
Funny article!

Sorry that your bucket is full of coal, luvmyhoss!

I think mine is full of rain water, soon to be emptied onto the porch plants.

I rank bucket lists with new year's resolutions: I feel really annoyed with myself if I don't keep them, so I don't make them in the first place.

I try to help others make some of their more reasonable ones come true, but jumping out of a plane at age 75+ isn't getting any assistance from me.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
I don't really have a bucket list. I have pretty much done all the things I wanted to do thus far. If I haven't, they probably were not that important to me. The one thing I haven't done that I have wanted to do since I was a kid is to see aurora borealis. But meanwhile, since I don't know that I ever will actually be there to see the northern lights firsthand - I subscribe to a FB page where a group of folks post their photos and videos every evening - showing the light activity where they live! So I have that to look forward to every morning. :-)

Here's one of these types of websites:

03 | September | 2014 | Aurora Borealis Notifications

and here is a Fairbanks "aurora cam"

http://www.ronnmurrayphoto.com/North...laskaAuroraCam

Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,730,385 times
Omg -- I've ALWAYS wanted to do this! But the one trip I could find was for a hotel in Greenland, and alth' everything is paid, including airfare -- I think it's pretty expensive, especially when there's no guarantee of seeing the lights. Thanks so much for the links!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't really have a bucket list. I have pretty much done all the things I wanted to do thus far. If I haven't, they probably were not that important to me. The one thing I haven't done that I have wanted to do since I was a kid is to see aurora borealis. But meanwhile, since I don't know that I ever will actually be there to see the northern lights firsthand - I subscribe to a FB page where a group of folks post their photos and videos every evening - showing the light activity where they live! So I have that to look forward to every morning. :-)

Alaska Aurora Cam - Northern Lights Webcam in Fairbanks, Alaska - Ronn Murray Photography & Tours

Old 09-04-2014, 04:09 PM

I bet you'll see the lights firsthand. Beyond a doubt.

Quote:

Alaska Aurora Cam - Northern Lights Webcam in Fairbanks, Alaska - Ronn Murray Photography & Tours

Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Omg -- I've ALWAYS wanted to do this! But the one trip I could find was for a hotel in Greenland, and alth' everything is paid, including airfare -- I think it's pretty expensive, especially when there's no guarantee of seeing the lights. Thanks so much for the links!!
I hope you enjoy the links! If you are on FB, there is an absolutely awesome group that posts nearly daily and shares their group photos and notifications as to where the lights are visible that evening.

https://www.facebook.com/ABNFNSB?ref=br_tf

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the links! If you are on FB, there is an absolutely awesome group that posts nearly daily and shares their group photos and notifications as to where the lights are visible that evening.

https://www.facebook.com/ABNFNSB?ref=br_tf
Oh, this is GREAT!!

I'll have to add the lights to my bucket list! LLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Seriously, though, what happens if we spend ALL that money -- and we don't see The AB?? No outfit that provides a package guarantees lights. It's not a HUGE amount of money, but for just three days, even with everything throw in, it's a hefty amount. I could spend 10 days in SD for the same amount of $$. I can't imagine traveling to Greenland and spending three days there and -- NO AB!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,669,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
How fortunate that you write, Nightbird. I really envy you. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with self-publishing on Amazon.

I've decided that moving back to Southern CA -- considering its drought, the earthquakes, the fires, and floods along the coast (not to mention the taxes) -- is just not wise. Not now and probably not in the near future. So I've put my name on the waiting list of a very upscale 55+ community (MUCH better than the previous one), and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to grow old and die here. And that's all right. I'd rather die on some Southern CA beach but we don't get everything we want. And -- interesting -- I found a very nice B&B in DT San Diego, the price of which will allow me to visit every 4-6 months for 10-14 days each time. AND, because it's less expensive to live in NM, staying here will allow me to do other things. Such as -- I've always wanted to see Paris -- and England -- and Montreal -- and drive across Canada. While I'm scared to death to fly these days -- who knows -- I just might bite the bullet and do it. But, if not, I'm content with my life the way it has been and is. And I think that's more important than anything in our old age.
If you come to California, please bring a bucket of water with you !

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
If you come to California, please bring a bucket of water with you !
Oh gawd, we've had so much rain this summer -- NM could bring all of San Diego County out of drought! And we've got more rain on the way! BUT -- seriously -- NM has had only a normal Monsoon Season. And we're in our 14th or 15th year of drought. Eight years ago the head of our Water Authority said it would take 5 above-average Monsoon Seasons to bring us back to normal water levels. I wonder how much that estimate has increased in the past 8 years. My friends laugh -- but if the drought gets much worse here (and in the whole of The SW), I'm moving to Pittsburgh. Seriously. At least it has water -- and all of PA is very good to its senior citizens, not unlike NM.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Anifani, I thought you might like this, if you haven't already seen it.

Aurora borealis: Breathtaking views - CNN.com Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement